Smartphones

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Seriously, cell phone tech has advanced so rapidly over the past half decade or so that every 1 year of cell phone advancement is like 5 years of computer typical advancement. If you have a 3 or 4 year old cell phone, that's like having a PC thats 10-15 years old at this point, compared to new devices.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Seriously, cell phone tech has advanced so rapidly over the past half decade or so that every 1 year of cell phone advancement is like 5 years of computer typical advancement. If you have a 3 or 4 year old cell phone, that's like having a PC thats 10-15 years old at this point, compared to new devices.
Yea, last gen pretty much closed the gap though, the jumps this upcoming gen looks all in peripheral things like camera and antennae improvements. A plateau has pretty much been hit. At least IMO.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
At this point, I think screens are about as big as they are going to get for cell phones, otherwise you're just using a tablet as a phone. And you really only need so much screen resolution before you really start to kill battery life for very little visual difference. Cameras and batteries could still be improved quite a bit, imho. At this point, it seems like the only major advancement related to displays in the next couple years will be curved displays, or wrap-around displays. I really like the Note edge, but I'm not willing to pay the extra $100+ premium for that little bit of extra screen real estate
samsung-unpacked-galaxy-note-edge-9_2040_verge_super_wide.jpg

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Edge-4-things-01.jpg

Vaclav

First I've seen that, first impression looks really prone to mistakenly hitting buttons. Already easy enough on small bezel phones with my tiny fingers - can only imagine that would be horrid for anyone with Frankenfingers.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I like the concept a lot, apparently you can even have texts/twitter feeds, etc scroll across the little side screen while the phone is off, or you're in other apps/games. Its like a completely separate display from the main one, not just additional main screen real-estate. But yeah, no idea what it would be like when holding the phone with 1 hand and using it. I can use my Note 3 pretty well with just one hand, but this thing does look a little prone to accidentally touching it if you're holding it with your right hand, where that side screen is nearly touching your palm/thumb.

Vaclav

Yea, I love the concept as an "information bar" like the M8 Dot View case concept and the LG G3 one - but buttons there scare me.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
First released: 17 November 2011

I think I'm at the bitter end of my 3 year contract (fucking Canada), but now I have to wait til the new phones come out. I want some day-1 shit.
I feel your pain. I'm sitting on an S2 HD until August or something. I switched over to a version of cyanogenmod that overclocked the phone so it's running a lot smoother, but the battery life is complete shit as a trade-off.

I actually got a message from my provider the other day saying they would eat half of my balance ($50) if I upgrade to a new phone. The Z3($100)/Z3 Compact(Free) or the Galaxy Alpha($50) all look pretty nice, but I don't pay enough attention to know if anything exciting is on the horizon. I can live with my phone until August, but < $100 for something that's much better is pretty tempting.

Siliconemelons

I feel your pain. I'm sitting on an S2 HD until August or something. I switched over to a version of cyanogenmod that overclocked the phone so it's running a lot smoother, but the battery life is complete shit as a trade-off.

I actually got a message from my provider the other day saying they would eat half of my balance ($50) if I upgrade to a new phone. The Z3($100)/Z3 Compact(Free) or the Galaxy Alpha($50) all look pretty nice, but I don't pay enough attention to know if anything exciting is on the horizon. I can live with my phone until August, but < $100 for something that's much better is pretty tempting.
Ichu is all feeling like this right now

metroid3boss07.jpg

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I have a Nokia windows phone and I like it. I don't understand all the hate for it.
I used to be like you. Start looking up cool things people can do on their Android or iOS devices and you'll begin to see. Windows Phone marketplace is garbage, but hopefully it will get better with Windows 10.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I decided against the windows phones the same time I was looking at tablets for my wife. I saw no use in spending the outrageous money they wanted for a surface pro so I looked at the regular surface tablets. The most common complaint was the marketplace was absolutely terrible - filled with barely anything and confusing. I also tried my mothers windows phone and it felt so shitty - I mean spec-wise it was fine, but the OS and overall ecosystem was so shitty.

Column_sl

shitlord
Next cell phone advancement has to be battery life.

They are working on some interesting stuff with rust technology so hopefully we will have phones that wont have to be charged for a week ,and can run at max settings.

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
Anyone have a problem where you can't receive incoming calls while running a custom ROM? I've had it across two different roms today and I have no idea what's causing it. The phone is an LG G2. I discovered the problem this afternoon while running the lolipop Vanir rom(12b modem for verizon). I then decided to try another and went back to stock, rerooted and now I'm using XDABBEB's VS982.5 v1.0.0 which uses the 26a bootstack. Everything works so far as far as I can tell. SMS and outgoing calls work, but all incoming calls just get a busy signal. Any ideas?

edit: Got it working after randomly turning off and on data/wireless settings

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Next cell phone advancement has to be battery life.

They are working on some interesting stuff with rust technology so hopefully we will have phones that wont have to be charged for a week ,and can run at max settings.
I think the next jump won't be in batter capacity, but solar trickle charging through materials built into the exterior of the phone

Column_sl

shitlord
I think the next jump won't be in batter capacity, but solar trickle charging through materials built into the exterior of the phone
That is actually worse, because you will still need the battery as the gap between when the phone has power, and when it does not.

They tried that in a big solar farm in Hawaii recently, and found that because of the massive fluctuation on the power grid the batteries were actually decreasing their life more rapidly then if they had no solar power helping them out.

The new technology that is being worked on with rust batteries doesn't die after a very small amount of charges, it is something on the range of one hundred thousand times more effective in it's current state.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
You don't understand that having options is a good thing? I don't have any of that shit you mentioned but I always have my phone.
Then maybe it's a Canadian thing. All my Visas and Mastercards have them. I just put my card on the terminal to pay for anything under 100 dollars.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Ichu is all feeling like this right now

metroid3boss07.jpg
I'm crawling out of the lava. I have the Z3 compact coming this week. It's the perfect size for 1 handed operation so I should be able to masturbate with it no problem. The battery life is supposed to be awesome as well.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I'm crawling out of the lava. I have the Z3 compact coming this week. It's the perfect size for 1 handed operation so I should be able to masturbate with it no problem. The battery life is supposed to be awesome as well.
You may regret that purchase. Sony has issues with the glass cracking on all Z3 models. I almost bought that phone and backed off after researching it. Check the XDA thread on that model.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Maybe. There aren't a lot of sub 5" options. Between the issues I had with my last Samsung and the Alpha not stacking up the Z3C is the best choice. I tend to take pretty good care of my phones anyways so hopefully it holds up.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
At this point, I think screens are about as big as they are going to get for cell phones, otherwise you're just using a tablet as a phone. And you really only need so much screen resolution before you really start to kill battery life for very little visual difference. Cameras and batteries could still be improved quite a bit, imho. At this point, it seems like the only major advancement related to displays in the next couple years will be curved displays, or wrap-around displays. I really like the Note edge, but I'm not willing to pay the extra $100+ premium for that little bit of extra screen real estate
samsung-unpacked-galaxy-note-edge-9_2040_verge_super_wide.jpg

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Edge-4-things-01.jpg
I like the design but, Oh god, good luck if you accidentally drop the phone (and you will) on the floor. Cracked screen potential is off the charts.

Also, won't that information bar being constantly on means it will rape your battery life?