Smartphones

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I had to do something on my wife's iPhone after using my MotoX for a few weeks, jesus Christ the iphone is so goddamn tiny.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm assuming that you're talking about an older iphone series... 6 is about as damned big as you'd ever want a phone to be, and the 6+ is just fucking impossible to use with 1 hand (and bigger than a moto x).

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
True. It was frustrating, but I understood there wasn't anything more they could do. Funny how things work, because it was working fine when I was on an old version of iTunes, and my old iOS 7, but try upgrading and it doesn't recognize anything.
That's usually solvable by removing/rebooting/reinstalling the Apple Mobile Device package under Windows. It's happened to me a few times. It's a Windows driver issue and it's a pain in the ass, yes.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Anyone with a OnePlusOne want to comment on the camera quality? That's the one thing that I've been disappointed in the few times I've tried non-Samsung phones (G2 camera sucked, and I haven't liked HTCs either, but I haven't tried the newer H8)

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
It's ok. Takes good pictures but it's not point and click like Samsung or iPhone and it's prefect all the time. Sometimes you have to play with it a bit but it's still quite good.

I wouldn't stress about the camera. Should be more than good enough for most.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Coming from my Lumia 920 it's a bit disappointing in low light, but no complaints during the day.

Campground pic
9bm6iWD.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Low light seems to be the big variance in camera quality. My wife takes TONS of pictures of our kid, often indoors in less than ideal lighting. Her Samsung S3 was decent, then I moved her to a LG G2 and it was terrible, just grainy beyond belief in anything other than direct, bright light. We deleted 10x as many pictures as we saved. Moved her back over to a Samsung S5 and it's pretty solid in low light(about the same as my Note 3)

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That's usually solvable by removing/rebooting/reinstalling the Apple Mobile Device package under Windows. It's happened to me a few times. It's a Windows driver issue and it's a pain in the ass, yes.
I did delete, and re-install, but I don't think I had rebooted in between that. The driver seemed to install fine, but it was never the Apple Mobile Device (Recovery) driver, which apparently is what I needed. All is good and well now though, on 8.1.3, and so all is good.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Low light seems to be the big variance in camera quality. My wife takes TONS of pictures of our kid, often indoors in less than ideal lighting. Her Samsung S3 was decent, then I moved her to a LG G2 and it was terrible, just grainy beyond belief in anything other than direct, bright light. We deleted 10x as many pictures as we saved. Moved her back over to a Samsung S5 and it's pretty solid in low light(about the same as my Note 3)
The OPO takes better pictures than the S3 if that's what you'd like as a point of reference.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I did delete, and re-install, but I don't think I had rebooted in between that. The driver seemed to install fine, but it was never the Apple Mobile Device (Recovery) driver, which apparently is what I needed. All is good and well now though, on 8.1.3, and so all is good.
Yeah, gotta reboot in between removal and re-installation of drivers. It's Windows, man. Some things never change. The recovery driver is part of the whole package.

Good to hear that it resolved itself in the end, though.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Android cameras should improve as we see more 5.0 devices. 5.0 adds a lot to the camera API, so camera apps will have a lot more control over the sensor once they update to take advantage of it.

The Sony Exmor sensor on the OPO is supposed to be pretty good, but low light performance could be better. I'm not much of a picture taker, so it works just fine for me.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Phones are great for pictures because you always have them. They will always suck compared to an actual decent camera because the censor size will always limit it particularly in low light. That is why you see such shit pictures in low light.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Work provided me an iPhone. I've had it for about a year. I'm glad I didn't buy it. I hate this fucking thing. My personal phone is a Nexus 5 and I couldn't be happier. I may upgrade this year though but it won't be to a Nexus 6. When does the next generation of the OPO come out?
Be glad they didn't give you a windows phone....

I've had all 3 now. The windows phone is in a class of piece of shit all it's own.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
After using the nexus 6 for s few days the battery isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I have just over 3 hours on screen time with 45% battery left with almost 15 hours standby. That's with all syncing and GPS on too. It's a bit worse than my z2 but that screen is smaller and lower PPI so I'm okay with the battery life. Contrarily, the 6+ scored lower in battery scores by over an hour and no one really talks about it. And finally, why are people on their phone regularly for 5-6 hours a day? There are people who work from their phone but I feel like they are an extremely small minority.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Not sure what they were doing to a 6+ to make it score that low, but mine is nowhere near that horrible on battery life, even with all the jailbreak shite I run on it.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
my LG G3 got the 5.01 update today, Seems to run a bit smoother. looks a little different, but not to much.