Smartphones

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Let's not do the iOS vs. Android thing. No one wins.

The 6/6+ have 1GB of RAM. Unless you open a thousand tabs in Safari, it's fine.

This is only doable through some extremely shady third-party gateways that are basically iMessage proxies that require your Apple ID. I wouldn't use one if you value your Apple ID.
Thousands? Try fucking 3.

I typed this on my iPhone 6+, everything reloads whether it is switching between tabs or apps. Every-fucking-thing

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I had a Note 2 for years and loved it then switched back to the iPhone 6 instead of getting a Note 4 and I've lost pretty much nothing in terms of what I am able to do. The only thing I have noticed is iOS app support is exceptionally better. Faster/cleaner updates and larger specialized app selection. Less memory, crashes and other errors with my iPhone apps. YMMV here but it I am by no means an iPhone fanboy and definitely love several Android features.

I will say that so far I have used apple pay very rarely but when I could use it, it was painless and fast. I expect if I could pay using my watch it would be as convenient as is humanly possible. Just not sure I want to spend $350 for an 18 hour smart watch for the two times a month I might use Apple Pay.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
To be fair, until Note 3 pretty much all phablets had a history of crashing issues - that was a Note issue. (Mostly because of the non-standard resolution from what I've gathered - its something that's been dealt with in Android better since Kit Kat or so though.)

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Thousands? Try fucking 3.

I typed this on my iPhone 6+, everything reloads whether it is switching between tabs or apps. Every-fucking-thing
My 6+ doesn't behave this badly as a rule. I also don't use Safari, I use Chrome. YMMV?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The best part about switching from iPhone to Android is turning off imessage. Go ahead, try it. YMMV but for me, even though I followed all steps to explicit and excruciating detail still got fucked in the end. My phone took almost 48 hours to completely de-register, meaning other Apple users were sending me texts that I wasn't receiving because LOL iMESSAGE TAKES PRIORITY OVER SMS. Had to tell all my apple friends (individually, mind you), that they needed to turn off imessage to text me. I had them change their settings so if a message failed it would send as SMS next but that only worked AFTER I had de-registered from imessage (two days later). Even after I was de-registered, their phones were still attempting to send me imessages unless that feature was enabled.

I'm not even sure I'm getting everyone's text messages still, as I've been told people have texted me to no response.

God what a nightmare that shit was.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
What about the Nexus 6? What is the buzz about that phone? I thought it premiered at a huge price point which soured people but not sure on any of the recent developments. Like I've said before I absolutely love my Nexus 10 and wouldn't mind extending that hardware to my phone.

Tenks

The best part about switching from iPhone to Android is turning off imessage. Go ahead, try it. YMMV but for me, even though I followed all steps to explicit and excruciating detail still got fucked in the end. My phone took almost 48 hours to completely de-register, meaning other Apple users were sending me texts that I wasn't receiving because LOL iMESSAGE TAKES PRIORITY OVER SMS. Had to tell all my apple friends (individually, mind you), that they needed to turn off imessage to text me. I had them change their settings so if a message failed it would send as SMS next but that only worked AFTER I had de-registered from imessage (two days later). Even after I was de-registered, their phones were still attempting to send me imessages unless that feature was enabled.

I'm not even sure I'm getting everyone's text messages still, as I've been told people have texted me to no response.

God what a nightmare that shit was.
This is actually a legitimate reason why I'm thinking about just going iPhone again. I've heard nightmares about switching. I know it was a huge pain when my wife switched from ios to android.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
What about the Nexus 6? What is the buzz about that phone? I thought it premiered at a huge price point which soured people but not sure on any of the recent developments. Like I've said before I absolutely love my Nexus 10 and wouldn't mind extending that hardware to my phone.
I think the main knock on the Nexus 6 is that Google abandoned their reasonable pricing from the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 and bowed down to complaints from all the other Android phone manufacturers that they were being undercut too severely. So the Nexus 6 is double the price of the 4 or 5 were at launch. It's a good piece of hardware, but instead of now being a no-brainer because it's a super cheap phone with solid hardware, it's no different than the Samsung Galaxys, HTM M-series or LG G-series for pricing, so it competes directly with them, and isn't head and shoulders better, hardware-wise. A Nexus 6 that was roughly equivalent to a Samsung S5 or LG G3 would have been a massive hit, but it just kind of gets lost in the shuffle as not having any unique features(price) like it did before.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
What is wrong with iMessage? Do you want to use something else just for preference or ?

Tenks

What is wrong with iMessage? Do you want to use something else just for preference or ?
I think what Noodle and I were referring to is if you move your phone# from iMessage to Android SMS it will still try and deliver via iMessage, fail then you have to send it as non-iMessage. I had to do this song and dance for a while when my wife moved over.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I still have my Note2 and I love it. It's going to be what, 2 years old now? I see absolutely no need to upgrade right now until some really new tech comes out. There really isn't any improvements that I need. Screen is good. Speed is good. Storage isn't an issue since I cloud everything that I might need.

I really need something other than more ram/cpu tacked on to get me to get a new phone. Form factor or something.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
It's nice that it's still working well. Seems like my phones are always near death by the 2 year mark or before.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I think what Noodle and I were referring to is if you move your phone# from iMessage to Android SMS it will still try and deliver via iMessage, fail then you have to send it as non-iMessage. I had to do this song and dance for a while when my wife moved over.
Worse than that. All of your Apple-owning friends whose devices still think that you're using iMessage will attempt to send to you that way, and since you no longer have an iPhone, your message will silently disappear into the ether. Apple doesn't always tell the sender that it never sent because you no longer have an iPhone, either.

There is a link that Apple provided some time ago to deactivate iMessage if you switch. Here's the link from Samsung (ironic, yes):How do I turn off iMessage on my old iPhone before I switch to my new Samsung device?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They even have an official website to de-activate imessage, but the process was frustrating and absolute fucking bullshit.

They should tell you that up front when you get an iphone so people can make the choice if they even want to use imessage.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, that's what is linked in the Samsung howto there. The official Apple page.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
My 6+ doesn't behave this badly as a rule. I also don't use Safari, I use Chrome. YMMV?
I've used both safari and chrome. I have only used chrome for the past couple of months, but reloading is prevalent, much much more than it did on my iPhone 5. Chrome also crashes quite frequently as well, but typically it is certain sites that crash it.

Sometimes this site causes problems, every once in awhile I'll open a thread and then the touch to scroll is extremely laggy, where I'll swipe my finger up and it will move 3-4 seconds later, if at all. Same goes for all clicks (even back button). I think it might have to do with certain ads.

Oh and the ad thing reminded me, fuck the auto redirect to the App Store ads. I want to murder the fucker who thought of that, and whoever at Apple who decided not to at least have an option to disable it.

Oh and another thing as I type this, typing on a forum like this doesn't automatically scroll to the right when the text I'm typing reaches the screen edge. I have to scroll down on the window slightly, and then when I keep typing it will snap over to where my text is appearing, until the next line where I have to scroll down again.

All in all its a pretty piss poor user experience to browse the web on this thing

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I've used both safari and chrome. I have only used chrome for the past couple of months, but reloading is prevalent, much much more than it did on my iPhone 5. Chrome also crashes quite frequently as well, but typically it is certain sites that crash it.

Sometimes this site causes problems, every once in awhile I'll open a thread and then the touch to scroll is extremely laggy, where I'll swipe my finger up and it will move 3-4 seconds later, if at all. Same goes for all clicks (even back button). I think it might have to do with certain ads.

Oh and the ad thing reminded me, fuck the auto redirect to the App Store ads. I want to murder the fucker who thought of that, and whoever at Apple who decided not to at least have an option to disable it.

Oh and another thing as I type this, typing on a forum like this doesn't automatically scroll to the right when the text I'm typing reaches the screen edge. I have to scroll down on the window slightly, and then when I keep typing it will snap over to where my text is appearing, until the next line where I have to scroll down again.

All in all its a pretty piss poor user experience to browse the web on this thing
Not to throw tech support 101 at you, but when was the last time you did a reset? Reinstall?

My 6+ was having similar issues when I first got it (and loaded my 5's backup onto it), reinstall and restore cleared it right up.

If it's still failing after that, go into a store (if possible) and bitch. Don't call Applecare, because when it comes to ios, there is very little they can actually do. It boils down to

Restart
Reset
Restore
Resintall
Reapir

They'll make you do the reset/reinstall, then set up an appointment for you. Just skip all that and go right to the store. Be a (polite) pain in their ass and the genius will try and make something happen for you. Just dont go in there cursing and making his life hell, because then he'll tell his manager you are a dick and you'll get he final "no" and told to fuck off.

Since iOs 8.2 just came out, everyone gets 30 days of free support.