Smartphones

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
To be fair, you're also getting a much better build quality, metal frame, qi charging and up to 128GB internal storage. While this may not seem like a bonus to some people, the overall reviews have been overwhelmingly positive about the build quality and say that the phone feels as though it has the proper heft in comparison to the plastic Galaxy S of old.
So is build quality the new hipster metric akin to audio quality? I swear some people would buy a spiked dildo that ejaculated aids infested semen if it had "excellent build quality".

Siliconemelons

... well... umm... its a factor to consider outside of looks and stats- someone may like the look and stats of a Kia, but the build quality of the Volvo is better... so maybe they are willing to compromise on design some and performance for knowing it's quality.

It's also become a "big" thing as the big brands have released some "high end" phones with insane stats and looked awesome but had crappy quality.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Its a big thing because the makers want to ass fuck you on being able to replace the battery.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So is build quality the new hipster metric akin to audio quality? I swear some people would buy a spiked dildo that ejaculated aids infested semen if it had "excellent build quality".
Yea, My plastic cased S3, S4, and S5 have all been perfectly adequate. I care about what is inside, not what the damn thing looks like on the exterior.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yep. At the end of the day, it's just a phone. Who cares?

Also, everyone is edging (some slowly, some quickly) towards cheaper build quality. That's what happens when your product is already out there and you can rely on past performance to sell. See Playstation 3.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, My plastic cased S3, S4, and S5 have all been perfectly adequate. I care about what is inside, not what the damn thing looks like on the exterior.
Once you have a phone that's better built you'll likely change your tune - I'd have said the same before getting used to my M8, now I'm too used to it having the better feel and actually taking a beating without having to worry about spending $50 more on casing it. [although I did technically case mine recently, but that's because my magnetic car holder was triggering "Dot View" mode without something to get it a smidge away from the magnet - spent a whopping $8 on it]

Just in the circles I frequent, it's pretty obvious most people hate casing their phones - I think three people out of like 30 or so people that I've seen their phone well enough to know the model down here actually case their phones. And of those it's the G3's iPhone6's and M8's that are undamaged. Don't think I've seen an Samsung that hasn't been damaged yet.

Maybe it's different to different strata of people - this is a group full of people that can budget $200+ a month on silly projects (literally, tied into a Makerspace) so their worry level about damage is lower than most, but certainly in my world build quality is one of the top things to worry about.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still don't buy it. I had two iPhones previous to my Galaxy phones. I never use a case on any of them and never had issues with either brand. If I have to lose 3 major aspects of functionality just for a "pretty" body design? Fuck that. I have 1 tiny nick of plastic where my phone hit an edge. Purely cosmetic and I don't give a shit. Keep your metal case, give me my user upgradeable memory, battery pack, and water resistance.

Here's my ~1 year old Galaxy S5 (with the best angle to highlight the tiny ding worth of damage):

rrr_img_93333.jpg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Dude, chicks are always coming up to me and going "Hey baby, nice phone. You really know your build quality, want a blowjob?"

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I imagine 90% of the smartphone market replaces their phone at least once every other year. Why make something that will last 10 years?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I imagine 90% of the smartphone market replaces their phone at least once every other year. Why make something that will last 10 years?
And 80% of people also put some huge bulky otter box case on their phone too. I've never understood people bragging that one phone is slightly thinner or that their iPhone is metal, etc. They all end up sticking huge bulky rubber cases on them so it's a moot point.

I've never put a case or screen protector on a phone and have never had a problem. But im also an adult who can take basic measures of care when using a device.

Vaclav

Jysin: Those 3 "features you're losing", you're only losing with Samsung - they're not absolute losses because of "better design" they're lost because of Samsung's version of it.

M8 has upgradeable memory and are water resistant. (And the M9 is water resistant enough that they added it to their "we will replace it if there's any X free" program - M8 went through some dunk tests and the worst that occurred was temporary speaker loss that came back when it dried out) And I'm pretty sure G3 has upgradeable memory as well.

Battery is the only legitimate worry with manufacturers in general, but recent batteries since the move to "design" have had amazing lifespans that make them have no need to replace. Hell with the currently memory leak prone version of Lollipop on my M8 right now at just over a year old now I think (or maybe it's a year next month) - I keep hooking it up at night with over 50% battery on days I use it heavily, and 85-90% (seriously) on a few when I use it extremely lightly. Not once have I gotten to a "needs a charge midday" issue and it's roughly a year old.

As for "dings" in that picture, looks to me like your screen is peeling up in the middle there. That doesn't look like a nice even line.

Not to mention, that has better "Build Quality" than just a few years previous - Galaxy Nexus my first smartphone was poorly reinforced on the sides compared to that. You seem to be using it as a codeword for "must be all metal" that many are doing this year - but build quality has been a thing for a while now, you're using the example of one of the best built plastic/metal hybrids that were still mostly plastic. [And I've seen plenty of properly cracked S4's]

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
That is going to change soon. Apple has another round of easy upgrades because they are the slowest by far to bring their phones up to spec. Everyone else is already carrying around more than they need.

Carriers used to have a model that all but forced you to upgrade every two years. With significant percentages of people moving to plans that no longer offer subsidies and instead force rather large payment plans people are going to start to think twice about changing phones like underwear. Eventually phones will be like TVs where manufacturers are looking for gimmicks to entice sales as the market is becoming saturated with people owning high to mid end devices already.

Until pricing falls and there is tons of room for prices to fall, the market is going to start to stagnate. The days of explosive growth in mature markets is coming to an end for these devices.

Vaclav

Indeed Kedwyn - it's probably a good part of the whole push towards durability that many companies are having now. Interesting thing is flipping phones when you're done is retaining higher and higher value as well for the chain upgraders.

GNexus kept almost no value when it was a year out - M8 is still flipping for about half of its value, pretty similar to what it flipped for immediately after launch. Probably part of the whole thing with generations really not being that drastic of an improvement at this point.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I get the outrage about loss of storage and ability to change battery on the s6 (the battery on my note 1 had to be changed after two years, I figure I have another year of life on the second battery), but waterproofness? Wat? Waterproof or not, I sure as shit don't whip out electronics in the rain if I can help it.Is that really something to be concerned with?

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
Samsung realised that the premium smartphones market is first and foremost about design and looks and not about a zillion features and options. The S5 was a damn good device and probably the most complete all around normal-sized smartphone of '14, but it sold way below expectations, mainly because of how cheap the build quality was perceived, too "plasticy" compared to the competition. Most people who buy the high-end smartphones are vain and want their phones to look and feel expensive and special, they don't care much about battery life, waterproofing, expandable storage, replaceable batteries and features like that. Just give them metal, thinness, specs and a vibrant display and they are satisfied. Utility is for the working class.

mopoke

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm one of the 10%, still use my Siemens tradesman phone every day. Bounces if I drop it, probably a bit over ten years old now.

I bought an LG P716 last year just to see how things work now, it's ok for a what I need.

Dude, chicks are always coming up to me and going "Hey baby, nice phone. You really know your build quality, want a blowjob?"
Really? That's good to know, I just downloaded the APUS Launcher onto that LG and it told me chicks love fast phones. I sure have been missing out on a lot of things.
frown.png

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Jysin: Those 3 "features you're losing", you're only losing with Samsung - they're not absolute losses because of "better design" they're lost because of Samsung's version of it.

M8 has upgradeable memory and are water resistant. (And the M9 is water resistant enough that they added it to their "we will replace it if there's any X free" program - M8 went through some dunk tests and the worst that occurred was temporary speaker loss that came back when it dried out) And I'm pretty sure G3 has upgradeable memory as well.

Battery is the only legitimate worry with manufacturers in general, but recent batteries since the move to "design" have had amazing lifespans that make them have no need to replace. Hell with the currently memory leak prone version of Lollipop on my M8 right now at just over a year old now I think (or maybe it's a year next month) - I keep hooking it up at night with over 50% battery on days I use it heavily, and 85-90% (seriously) on a few when I use it extremely lightly. Not once have I gotten to a "needs a charge midday" issue and it's roughly a year old.

As for "dings" in that picture, looks to me like your screen is peeling up in the middle there. That doesn't look like a nice even line.

Not to mention, that has better "Build Quality" than just a few years previous - Galaxy Nexus my first smartphone was poorly reinforced on the sides compared to that. You seem to be using it as a codeword for "must be all metal" that many are doing this year - but build quality has been a thing for a while now, you're using the example of one of the best built plastic/metal hybrids that were still mostly plastic. [And I've seen plenty of properly cracked S4's]
Well, my reply was from someone asking directly about the new S6 so that was the nature of my response.

Also, no clue what you are talking about "screen peeling"? The thing is flush and looks just like the day I bought it. Maybe you're seeing the bokeh (blur) from my camera lens and mistaking it for something else. I tried opening up the aperature up, but that is a lot of lens blur. I assure you, the screen is just fine.

Waterproof feature, I really wouldn't have given much thought about it but.. I was drunk as shit camping at the beach with some friends and walked into the water with my old S4 in my pocket. It was only for a few seconds before I realized what I had done, but I can't help but think if I had done that with the S5 it would have survived. Just another peace of mind for those unfortunate mishaps. I'd rather keep that feature than some metal cased aesthetics.