Smartphones

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
My 6P showed up today, so I am super stoked. However, I am having an issue with it connecting back to Project Fi. I just took the Sim card out of my Nexus 6 and assumed that would work, but it is telling me I need to put in a supported Project Fi Sim card. Do I need to get a new one that is specific to the 6P?
That would be pretty annoying if so and looks like you do need a different card:

Use your own Nexus phone with Project Fi - Project Fi Help

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah that doesn't even make sense. I just went to order one but it doesn't ask you to specify which phone you have, so why in the world would I need a new one?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah that doesn't even make sense. I just went to order one but it doesn't ask you to specify which phone you have, so why in the world would I need a new one?
I'm guessing that you got Fi SIM Card v1.0 which isn't compatible with any other phone, while they've released Fi SIM card v2.0 which works for the 5x/6P plus is backwards compatible with the 6.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Huh, well I was letting my phone get all updated with apps, and it appears as if it is working fine now. Shows that it is connected to the Fi network.

I'm so confused. Whatever, either way I ordered a new SIM card as well. So I will just swap it out once it gets here, and in the meantime if I have any issues I will just keep using my 6.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Huh, well I was letting my phone get all updated with apps, and it appears as if it is working fine now. Shows that it is connected to the Fi network.

I'm so confused. Whatever, either way I ordered a new SIM card as well. So I will just swap it out once it gets here, and in the meantime if I have any issues I will just keep using my 6.
Maybe just needed to update the Fi app? /shrug

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm a bit out of the loop with Nexus devices

Will the Nexus 5X/6P work on any carrier? Or more specifically, at least Sprint?

I'm still on a grandfathered Sprint family plan for another ~9 months or so, I'd like to snag a 6P now and use it on my Sprint plan, and still be able to switch it to Fi next year.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
But it's the Nexus 5X (and thus the Nexus 6P) that win this battle. The new Nexus phones may not have the most pixels to work with, but the big sensor with relatively huge pixels, collecting light through a nice bright aperture, but the photos they're producing are positively phenomenal.
Hmm, I'm getting more and more sold on the 6P. Maybe I need to switch off the subsidized plan on Verizon and just get one since I hate my 2014 Moto X more every day. I kind of hate to do it because I have an upgrade in January but I guess that would mean another 2 year contract.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Maybe just needed to update the Fi app? /shrug
No, you need a new SIM for the 5X or 6P. I just confirmed with Project Fi's support (best fucking support of all wireless carriers hands down).

Project Fi Support Guy:Great Question! He is right. The v1 SIM doesn't work in the 6P or 5X. So we just need to get you a fresh SIM.
And here's the link for her too:Sign in - Google Accounts
Here's the link if you need the new SIM:Order Project Fi SIM Card

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Well, my phone is working 100% right now without it. Like I said, I ordered another SIM anyway, but I was just out running some errands and everything was working as expected.

No clue why

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
I just got a v10. It comes with an additional battery a cradle charger thing and a 2 TB battery free. So worse comes to worse I hate it bring it back keep the 2 TB memory card and sell it for a few hundred $s. Or sell it anyway and use some of the money for a smaller memory card since 2 TB is obnoxiously large

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
No, you need a new SIM for the 5X or 6P. I just confirmed with Project Fi's support (best fucking support of all wireless carriers hands down).

Here's the link if you need the new SIM:Order Project Fi SIM Card
Yep, I just had to do this last night. Phone arrived, popped my Nexus 6 SIM in, buzzkill. Then I remembered an email Google sent me a few weeks back about a SIM. Guess I should have paid more attention to that one. First impressions of the phone with just WiFi for connectivity have been positive. I really like the fingerprint reader, very convenient. Camera seems stellar and the phone itself is very zippy. I am feeling good about this one.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
What are good apps to get for andriod
Besides the obviously ones like Google Maps, Gmail, banking apps, etc... here a few I could recommend.

Home Screen/Launcher:

Nova Launcher- If you don't prefer Google Now's homescreen, this is the best launcher/homescreen app imo.

Navigation/Map Stuff:

GasBuddy
My Tracks
Waze- Sorta nice. Big battery drain but pretty sweet app that allows you to mark cop speed traps, construction, etc and with other people doing the same, allows you to avoid that stuff.
Navionics- If you fish lakes (or rivers, oceans, I dunno) and you're a pleb like me who doesn't have GPS on their boat, this is a must have app imo.

Photo/Gallery:

QuickPic- Recently bought out by a new company. Neckbeards have jumped ship because of this but imo they're all idiots. It still works great as of now and nothing has changed.
Imgur- Easily host pics on the internets.

Music:

Power Amp- plays mp3, mp4/m4a (including alac), ogg, wma*, flac, wav, ape, wv, tta, mpc, aiff
Songza- Sorta like Pandora, I've found it to be better but YMMV.

Video:

VLC
Netflix
Localcast- Allows you to play videos/other media that is directly on your phone to Chromecast (useful if you have a movie, TV show, or music and you're at a buddy's house that has Chromecast).

Home Media Center:

Plex

File Manager:

Root Explorer* - There are a few other options but I've found this one to be pretty great. Root required to access certain parts of the phone (like, uh... root... access folders?)

Utility Programs:

Wifi Analyzer- Find the strongest network or use it to figure out what channel your router should be on if you're in a crowded WiFi area.
SpeedTest- Nice if you need to test your current LTE/WiFi/3G/etc speeds.
Lux- Pretty good app for controlling your phone screen's brightness. Has a nightmode for browsing in bed at the end of the day so it doesn't rape your eyes. I recently stopped using it when I switched phones but may give it a whirl again once my 6P shows up.

Others:
AdAway* - No more ads. On any app. Ever. Thank fuck.
CamScanner- Easily creates PDF's of documents, receipts, piece of paper, whatever. I use this fairly often. Works well.
reddit is fun- For browsing reddit.
Zooper- Create your widgets. Pretty fucking awesome app imo.
Untappd- If you're a beer snob.
Tapatalk- For forum browsing. Not something I use often personally but really nice app when it is needed.
Tasker- Again, not something I use personally but some people fucking LOVE Tasker. An alternative would beIFTT
Cerberus- Anti-theft app.
Airdroid- TLDR: Control your phone from your computer and send/receive files from the phone onto the computer.
Pushbullet- In a nut shell, allows you see notifications/texts/emails from your phone and reply to them from your computer.
IR Universal Remote- If your phone has an IR blaster this app is fucking awesome. TLDR: Allows you to use your phone as remote for TV's, receivers, cable/satellite boxes, etc. Especially useful if you're at a bar and want to change it to your team's game... not that I'd condone that or anything...

* = requires root

Here's a reddit threadwith a bunch of recommendations from other people too.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Awesome thanks guys. The computer controlling the phone one seems great since I'd rather type here than on my phone