Smartphones

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
So, anyone have the scoop on cheap Chinese-made Cell phones?

I've done just a little bit of reading, and it seems like you can get a phone that would be on par with the top of the line products from Samsung or Lg or Motorola, but pay hundreds of dollars less.

Something like this:
Pandawill Lenovo VIBE Z2 Pro K920 Quad Core 6.0 Inch 3GB 32GB Grey

Looks to be on par with a Samsung Note 5 or Nexus 6P spec-wise, but is only $350 (nearly half the price)

anyone have any experience getting cell phones from China?
....everyone who owns a phone does....

One thing to keep in mind with a "phone from china" in the sense you are talking about is what bands/channels(terminology help?) their cell signals operate on. They are a little different around the word.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
It also looks like there are some REALLY cheap Chinese phones, but you start to seriously sacrifice screen quality. But there's tons of 6" screen phones out there for like $50, but you're usually looking at something like 1200x720 resolution and only 1GB of RAM. That would be pretty shoddy by todays standards.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I haven't got one yet
frown.png

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Another fuck-you to customers by Apple:

Next iPhone to ditch headphone jack: report

Buy new headphones from Apple today! You can be assured it's nothing to do with innovation or statistics showing people use Bluetooth or whatever, but because they can sell expensive adapters. lol @ not being able to charge your phone and use headphones if they keep one anti-USB per device.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Well those accessories arent gonna sell themselves. At the very least they just forced everyone to buy a $10-15 adapter.

Does the facebook app data mine your phone even when you have it turned off/disabled? Went on the FB website today on my phone and the very first suggested friend is a coworker of mine whose cellphone # is obviously in my cellphone. Ive never looked him up on FB and have never used the FB app yet he appeared in my suggested friends list.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Well those accessories arent gonna sell themselves. At the very least they just forced everyone to buy a $10-15 adapter.

Does the facebook app data mine your phone even when you have it turned off/disabled? Went on the FB website today on my phone and the very first suggested friend is a coworker of mine whose cellphone # is obviously in my cellphone. Ive never looked him up on FB and have never used the FB app yet he appeared in my suggested friends list.
This is something that's been done for at least 7 years.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
zAkRQ.jpg

Next phone is definitely going to be a Google phone.
Hope you don't plan on installing the Facebook app then. If you do, google play requires you give all sorts of permissions to the Facebook app. Identity, contact information, media files, etc.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider

Buy new headphones from Apple today! You can be assured it's nothing to do with innovation or statistics showing people use Bluetooth or whatever, but because they can sell expensive adapters. lol @ not being able to charge your phone and use headphones if they keep one anti-USB per device.
Can't have anything to do with the fact that Apple owns Beats now...

LOL

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So if anyone's interested in a OnePlus X, they just gave me an invite for some reason. It's valid for the next 3 days.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So you'll buy one
wink.png
Oh I don't doubt that's their plan. Seeing as that the X has the same guts as the One (minus a few bits) in a smaller package, I have no reason to replace My OPO.

Hmm...maybe they just wanted some free advertising. Dammit, I fell for it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

It's a documented fact that all Apple customers love taking it in the ass from Apple. They are just giving their fans what they want!

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
So, anyone have the scoop on cheap Chinese-made Cell phones?

I've done just a little bit of reading, and it seems like you can get a phone that would be on par with the top of the line products from Samsung or Lg or Motorola, but pay hundreds of dollars less.

Something like this:
Pandawill Lenovo VIBE Z2 Pro K920 Quad Core 6.0 Inch 3GB 32GB Grey

Looks to be on par with a Samsung Note 5 or Nexus 6P spec-wise, but is only $350 (nearly half the price)

anyone have any experience getting cell phones from China?
So I found a post from 2013 about a Xiaomi phone in this thread.

Does anyone have a "chinese" smartphone? Xiaomi, Meizu, Elephone, Cubot?
These run unter 200? for a 5" or 5.5" octacore with 16GB, dual sim, micro-sd slot, full HD display...

Looking for real life experience if anyone can provide it. I'm not shelling out ?500++ for a fucking phone. My S3 mini is acting up recently, I think it's time for change.
I ended up getting a Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 (the 32gb version because 2.2GHz) straight from China. Keep in mind I'm in Europe so things may run different. I ended up waiting ~2 weeks, paying an additional 35 eurobucks of sales tax, and in the end it ran me ~220 Euros. A "brand" phone with the same specs costs twice that, easily.

What you must pay attention to:
- some (all?) chinese vendors put software in their android that you don't want. Make sure the phone you get is easy to root and has a living custom firmware community.
- LTE frequencies. I don't have LTE in my mobile plan anyway because I'm a cheap fuck and mainly use the phone at home anyway, but if I relied on it I wouldn't have picked the Xiaomi because it misses one of the frequencies used here. Again, Europe.

Find a site that focuses on chinese phone reviews, there seem to be a few out there, even found two german ones. And find a reputable seller. Gearbest worked for me. Sure there are others, hell you get them on Amazon too, might cost you an extra $10 but without the import bullshit.

I've had my phone for a week now so obviously I can't comment on durability. It's pretty cool so far though.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Welp. Just put a good bend in my 6P when I had it in my back pocket and leaned down to tie my shoes.

My own dumb fault but damn... This phone really does bend easily. Fuck me.