Smartphones

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I've become an expert at installing screen protectors. The trick is to first wipe off the screen and then take a piece of scotch tape that is wider than your device and stick it on the screen. Then peel it off, stick it on the screen again a little lower and keep working all the way down the screen until done. Do this twice. This completely removes the tiny pieces that are the main cause of bubbles that won't go away. Works every time.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I decided to just say "fuck it" to the Play Store and picked up a Nexus 4 locally. Paid $50 more than I would through Google, but it's better than waiting to see if I get one by Jan sometime.

I'm still getting it set up, but I'm really digging the feel of the device so far. Any suggestions on ROMs? I'm considering PA since it's now being built off of AOSP source, but I'm not sure I'd really use the per-app DPI settings.
Try Rasbeanjelly. I use it on my N7 and its great.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
I have an LG Revolution from Verizon that is a little over a year old. I can no longer connect it to my PC and access it through mass storage, it randomly reboots itself, I don't get 4G in my area, and 3G constantly drops to 1x for no reason when using data, I sometimes get double messages. Fuck this shit man. Verizon told me that they won't do anything unless I reformat my phone first. I did, and it did nothing.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I've become an expert at installing screen protectors. The trick is to first wipe off the screen and then take a piece of scotch tape that is wider than your device and stick it on the screen. Then peel it off, stick it on the screen again a little lower and keep working all the way down the screen until done. Do this twice. This completely removes the tiny pieces that are the main cause of bubbles that won't go away. Works every time.
Never thought of doing this, but makes a whole lot of sense. Gonna try it next time.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I paired my Wii remote with my Galaxy Nexus yesterday (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eAndroid&hl=en) and had some awesomefun playing SNES games. Anyone else toy with controllers on their phones before?

I'm going to have to build some kind of phone/controller mount for this
smile.png

smile.png

smile.png

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Anyone else toy with controllers on their phones before?
Did this for a bit with a jailbreak bluetooth app on my iPhone 4 a while back. Would make more sense with the iPad... I might give this another try. I seem to recall a bit of input lag when I tried it.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I use T-Mobile prepaid, $60 for unlimited everything and 2GB of 4G data. I'm in a shitty area (Edge/HSPA) so the $70 plan would be useless to me.
I use Solavei prepaid for $49 a month that does everything that Gaige's $60 plan does and more. It allows me conditional call forwarding for Google Voice Visual Voicemail as well as roaming which T-mobile prepaid doesn't allow. Also, the 4g data cap is 4GB instead of 2GB.

I just switched my wife to Solavei this month from the exact plan that Gaige uses for those very reasons.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Try Rasbeanjelly. I use it on my N7 and its great.
I'll give that a swing today. I'm still using my 4S that I've borrowed from a friend until I get a phone completely set up since I need it for work.

Everyone who has a Nexus 4, what service are you using?
I've been on Straight Talk for a bit since TMOUS is iffy in the outlying areas of Puget Sound. So far it's been fantastic, and after taxes I'm only paying $50/mo. I could move up to the 3/6/12 mo plans, which further decrease cost, but I've recently started a new job, and this month was the first one that I've really been able to buy some new toys. I get an allowance through work for cell service, so I'm pocketing ~1/2 of that per month while maintaining unlimited minutes/data/text. Some people say they have issues with getting throttled, but apparently I don't use enough data per month to worry about that. Additionally, I'm not using an APN setting with a data proxy, so that may play a part as well. Either way, I'm getting an average of 5-7 dl/1-1.5 ul.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
I use Solavei prepaid for $49 a month that does everything that Gaige's $60 plan does and more. It allows me conditional call forwarding for Google Voice Visual Voicemail as well as roaming which T-mobile prepaid doesn't allow. Also, the 4g data cap is 4GB instead of 2GB.

I just switched my wife to Solavei this month from the exact plan that Gaige uses for those very reasons.
I've heard Solavei is some sort of pyramid scheme though. Do they use AT&T or T-Mobile's network?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I've heard Solavei is some sort of pyramid scheme though. Do they use AT&T or T-Mobile's network?
First off, Solavei sells an actual product that works as intended (T-mobile MVNO). You don't pay the referrer anything, nor do you have to provide seed money that isn't normally required for cell phone service (i.e. activation cost, sim card purchase, service cost). Also, you pay your subscription fee to the company itself, not a referrer and can cancel the service at any point. If it is a pyramid scheme then I must not understand exactly what differentiates a real business with tiered referral bonuses from a scam (feel free to drop knowledge on me about it, I'd love to know).

Second, you don't have to join their whole referral program thing to sign up for cell service. Neither my wife nor I are part of it. We just pay each month for cell service.

Finally, even if it turns out to be a pyramid scheme it won't just get shut off over night. Even if you have short notice, though, since it is prepaid you can just hope to another provider without any trouble.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I wish we had something nearly that respectable in Canada. All of our plans/providers blow.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
First off, Solavei sells an actual product that works as intended (T-mobile MVNO). You don't pay the referrer anything, nor do you have to provide seed money that isn't normally required for cell phone service (i.e. activation cost, sim card purchase, service cost). Also, you pay your subscription fee to the company itself, not a referrer and can cancel the service at any point. If it is a pyramid scheme then I must not understand exactly what differentiates a real business with tiered referral bonuses from a scam (feel free to drop knowledge on me about it, I'd love to know).

Second, you don't have to join their whole referral program thing to sign up for cell service. Neither my wife nor I are part of it. We just pay each month for cell service.

Finally, even if it turns out to be a pyramid scheme it won't just get shut off over night. Even if you have short notice, though, since it is prepaid you can just hope to another provider without any trouble.
Hmm. Okay. Sounds like I should consider that next month then. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I decided to just say "fuck it" to the Play Store and picked up a Nexus 4 locally. Paid $50 more than I would through Google, but it's better than waiting to see if I get one by Jan sometime.

I'm still getting it set up, but I'm really digging the feel of the device so far. Any suggestions on ROMs? I'm considering PA since it's now being built off of AOSP source, but I'm not sure I'd really use the per-app DPI settings.
I run AOKP on my Galaxy Nexus. It's great.

http://aokp.co/

Plus it has unicorns, motherfuckers.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I use the $30 plan from T-Mobile... 100 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited web (with 5GB at 4G). Additional minutes are 10c/min, and I do use up to 200 minutes per month, so the plan really costs me closer to $40. Still a good deal, though.

I tried making calls through GrooveIP, but while the sound is flawless to me, apparently people on the other end don't hear me well. I grabbed the talkatone app and will try if that works better. If so, that's going to turn my existing plan into an unlimited everything for $30 - yay.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
Sounds like sell it for parts on eBay.
So... I posted it on Ebay and with 8 days left, the thing is up to $100. The two people who had the top bids so far have 0 and 1 review, respectively.

Should I be suspicious? I mean, why would you pay $100+ for a defective phone?

Assuming I wait for them to pay (with paypal) before sending out the phone. Any scams that make use of this? i.e. will get paypal to reverse the charge because the phone is broken?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Parts for their existing phones? Who knows. Some people just like to make things work.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I wish we had something nearly that respectable in Canada. All of our plans/providers blow.
It's disgusting how bad our mobile data options are. Way to stifle our country Rogers and Bell.

A 5 GB data plan costs $95. Shit's criminal.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Holy shit, who's that from? I've got 6GB LTE with Rogers @$30/month, but that was the promotional price, only available when they hang a new iPhone in front of us like a carrot.