Smartphones

Renault

N00b
Any suggestions on cases for an Iphone 5? I'm looking for something semi slim that will give a decent grip to the back; looking at the Speck Candyshell Grip or the Incipio DualPro/Faxion so far but unsure.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Anyone else with a N4 experiencing an issue where you choose a contact to call and the phone dials and immediately hangs up, then dials again normally? It isn't causing me any issues as the re-dial always goes through fine and it adds less than a second to the call time, but I notice it and would like to fix it.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
So, I don't call much on my phone (yeah)... but, I could swear when I picked up a call from my N4, sound came out of speakers even though I didn't turn on speakers. Is there a setting where that, for some reason, might have been turned on?

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Because we get fucked, is why. Both in the US and Canada. I pay $95/month for the package my Blackberry needs to be useful. I think around 500 minutes, unlimited texts, and I'm not sure how much data but around 2gb I think. And it's a three year contract to get the full handset subsidy. I'm coming up on 2 years with my Torch, and quite honestly I don't know how I've made it this long.

The cell phone market in Europe is actually competitive, so maybe contracts aren't so bad there. In North America the competition is a sad joke, and getting locked in to 3 year contracts with a device that has been changing so rapidly is completely ridiculous.

Don't even get me started on roaming charges. It costs me more for wireless data 5 feet across the 49th parallel than it would to literally mail old school 3.5" floppy disks individually.
Fido and Rogers both have a $57 plan - Unlimited long distance calling Canada wide, unlimited texting world wide, 2gb data...3yr contract on Rogers, 2yr on Fido

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Thanks, will have to look in to that. I'm curious to see what Telus tries to pull on me when I get my Nexus 4 and want to switch my plan from a Blackberry package it's currently on. Probably try to charge me $500 to cancel my contract or some shit, even if I'm willing to stick around for the remaining 14 months or whatever it is.

Evernothing

Rogers charged me $130 to drop my contract and switch to Fido. I just switched at the beginning of December and the contract was not supposed to be up until September 2013.

I went with Fido over Rogers because the Galaxy Nexus was $0 on a 2yr contract as opposed to $30 on a 3yr with Rogers.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
To the guy who -netted me because I'm "trolling" with the above statement -- uh, no, I'm saying I don't like Android. Bloody fanbois.

Cor_sl

shitlord
I've had my Nexus 4 for about a month now and I really love it but I definitely have some issues.

- I don't understand why I need to root the phone and install a third party kernel to get good battery life. Surely Google should have sorted this shit out themselves.
- Android apps just aren't as good as ios apps. Dcovery (http://dcovery.com/), an awesome travel app, got an ios release yesterday. The devs have no intention to ever release an Android version. Sucks. Holo designed apps are actually nice (the new RSS reader Press is awesome) but there aren't enough of them out there. The games selection sucks compared to ios, too.
- Micro USB blows. I wish it was reversible like Apple's lightning connector. I want to buy the wireless charging orb but there hasn't been any news about it for weeks.
- Why hasn't LG/Google calibrated the screen?!
- Camera isn't great.

Still, I'm really happy with the purchase. 4.2 Android feels much nicer than ios and the bigger screen is awesome. I'd love to see HTC make next years Nexus phone. I imagine that'd be beastly.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
That's gotta be the first positive comment about the Lightning connector I've ever seen. Having to change every cable I ever bought for an iOS device sucks, and I wish Apple had gone micro USB. I guess the grass isn't greener.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Curious why you feel that Micro USB "blows". Is it purely just because the plug only fits one direction, or is there an actual technology related reason why the lightning connector is superior?

Cor_sl

shitlord
Curious why you feel that Micro USB "blows". Is it purely just because the plug only fits one direction, or is there an actual technology related reason why the lightning connector is superior?
I think I've only once managed to put the cable in the right way on the first try. It's annoying. I used my brothers iPhone 5 for a week and the lightning cable just slots in effortlessly.

The micro usb connector also makes a loud 'crack' sound whenever I insert a cable, too. It's quite worrying. It feels like the connector is going to break whenever I put a cable in.

From what I understand, lightning is forwards compatible with future standards which is a pretty big bonus over micro usb. It should be compatible with usb4/thunderbolt/whatever standards come out in the future. That's a pretty big bonus over micro usb, imo.

I'd love to see wireless charging become more common, though. I'd much prefer that over having to use cables.

That's gotta be the first positive comment about the Lightning connector I've ever seen. Having to change every cable I ever bought for an iOS device sucks, and I wish Apple had gone micro USB. I guess the grass isn't greener.
Yeah, switching the cables over sucks for sure, but it won't be a problem in a year or two. It's just a short term shitty situation.

Cor_sl

shitlord
Oh, I forgot to mention that the earpiece buzzes constantly, too. It's really annoying. I was talking to a friend on Skype the other day and I could barely hear her over the buzzing noise. I had to plug in a pair of headphones to actually hear her properly.

The back of the phone gets really hot at times too, even when I'm doing simple stuff like browsing the web. It's very odd.

Evernothing

I think I've only once managed to put the cable in the right way on the first try. It's annoying. I used my brothers iPhone 5 for a week and the lightning cable just slots in effortlessly.
How? The bottom of the connector has pins on it, as long as you look at it or feel it with your finger before you insert it, it should always go in correctly...

micro-usb-thumb5285147.jpg

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider

The micro usb connector also makes a loud 'crack' sound whenever I insert a cable, too. It's quite worrying. It feels like the connector is going to break whenever I put a cable in.

From what I understand, lightning is forwards compatible with future standards which is a pretty big bonus over micro usb. It should be compatible with usb4/thunderbolt/whatever standards come out in the future. That's a pretty big bonus over micro usb, imo.

I'd love to see wireless charging become more common, though. I'd much prefer that over having to use cables.

Yeah, switching the cables over sucks for sure, but it won't be a problem in a year or two. It's just a short term shitty situation.
This complaint about micro usb is on the same level with the people who complained about Lumia 920's weight. Retarded.

Regarding kernel, you're probably not getting more battery life unless you are currently underclocking. Having used so many Android phones, stock kernels are generally the best battery life because of the slim builds and without useless features. People give OEM way too little credit in this regard.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Nothing that can't be solved by buying a bunch of cables or adapters. It sucks in that every iPhone accessory I had uses the old cable type (e.g. clock radio, camera kit). There are likely new devices that use the lightning connector, or there will be at some point, but the old ones aren't broken, so why would I replace them?

Hopefully a connector adapter will work for all of the devices I already have.