Smartphones

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I heard if you set your Apple product to Jan 1, 1970 it brings up a naked picture of Emma Watson.

Or it might cause an integer underflow which bricks your iPhone.
tongue.png
It's fucking obnoxious. We've been so bogged down fixing people who keep doing that to their phones. So many people mad that they have to go into the stores to have it fixed (battery has to be removed so the phone fully resets...in theory you could do it yourself by just draining the battery, but it's not 100%).

There was some internal memo about being wary of people doing it to their phones intentionally to get a free fix for other issues...it's pretty much up to the Genius team though if they'll repair other things for free while resetting your phone.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I didn't know till yesterday that had little small deals the size of a usb card that plugs into phones to make it an IR camera.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Is there an app that will let an iphone 5s see a HD that I have connected to my router? I have all my photos and docs there and I'd like to move things back and forth. The HD is accessible to all my other PCs (Windows) in the house.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I like the idea of that CAT phone but the fact that it's made by a company that makes licensed Catepillar shit instead of a company that makes phones makes me think it's going to be a shit show at least on the software side. Maybe if they just go with stock android it will be okay.

rrr_img_127100.jpg

Looks like a handful.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Is there an app that will let an iphone 5s see a HD that I have connected to my router? I have all my photos and docs there and I'd like to move things back and forth. The HD is accessible to all my other PCs (Windows) in the house.
Bunch of the file explorers let you do that. Root explorer lets you create a tab that you can refer to the path of the hard drive. ES file explorer I think does it as well.

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
They are pushing Gear VR hard with a low price and offers, so people can get a taste of what this is all about and then eventually upgrade to a pricier and higher-resolution Oculus Rift.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm done paying $800 for phones that hopefully last for two years with no removable battery. It's pretty much Nexus for me at this point since my S4 isn't going to ever see a fucking OS upgrade ever again.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I really don't understand how anyone who uses the Android phones would want anything besides the Nexus phones. The amount of shit that providers put on other phones is unbearable to me.

I will be really sad if the Nexus phones ever go away.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Some other product lineups are as close to barebones as to be nearly indistinguishable. I like a lot of the things Motorola put on their moto x lineup. It's a shame they're owned by Lenovo now. If they don't ruin the brand somehow, I don't think I'll want to buy from them anyway.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm done paying $800 for phones that hopefully last for two years with no removable battery. It's pretty much Nexus for me at this point since my S4 isn't going to ever see a fucking OS upgrade ever again.
The new LG G5 has a removable battery. You essentially pull the chin of the phone off and slide the battery out. Alternatively, there are probably plenty of roms out there for the S4 if you're happy with the hardware.

A Nexus or other near stock phone would probably be for the best though.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I really don't understand how anyone who uses the Android phones would want anything besides the Nexus phones. The amount of shit that providers put on other phones is unbearable to me.
Meh. I love the stylus functionality of the Note5 and can't say I prefer the Google Now Launcher. Being able to battery swap or needing more memory are not things I've ever been concerned with.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
For what it's worth, I hardly noticed a difference software/OS wise going from a Nexus 4 to a Samsung S6. They try to get you to use a couple of their apps, but once you get them to fuck off there's not much difference that I perceive from the straight Android experience. The new S7 has me kinda choked though, if only because of the bigger battery, MicroSD slot, and especially the water resistance.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
For what it's worth, I hardly noticed a difference software/OS wise going from a Nexus 4 to a Samsung S6. They try to get you to use a couple of their apps, but once you get them to fuck off there's not much difference that I perceive from the straight Android experience. The new S7 has me kinda choked though, if only because of the bigger battery, MicroSD slot, and especially the water resistance.
Problem I have is the fact you can get rid of shit you dont want without going through the hassle of spending 2-3 hours rooting and installing a different rom. So fucking retarded I cant delete the facebook app and stop it from datamining my phone. Fuck you Zuckerberg.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Problem I have is the fact you can get rid of shit you dont want without going through the hassle of spending 2-3 hours rooting and installing a different rom. So fucking retarded I cant delete the facebook app and stop it from datamining my phone. Fuck you Zuckerberg.
Even if they make facebook uninstallable, you should be able to disable it without needing to root. Still bullshit though. The only apps that should be uninstallable are the most basic system apps that the phone needs to run. I wouldn't put up with that kind of crap on my computer and I sure as hell won't put up with it on my phone.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think my Moto X (2014) might be finally taking a shit. I can no longer receive texts on LTE. I can send them just fine, but they never come through. I've tried playing with APN settings, I've switched to 3G/2G networks instead of LTE, etc. Occasionally, I'll get a flood of texts when I swap from LTE to 3G, but then I don't receive them again. I have to reboot and swap networks back and forth again. I was sick of the phone anyhow, but I'm so tired of planned obsolescence.

Anyhow, can anyone recommend a good case for the 6P? I think I'm finally going to take the plunge with Project-Fi.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord

I will be really sad if the Nexus phones ever go away.
The Cyogen OS on my one plus is almost completely preferable to clean android.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I think my Moto X (2014) might be finally taking a shit. I can no longer receive texts on LTE. I can send them just fine, but they never come through. I've tried playing with APN settings, I've switched to 3G/2G networks instead of LTE, etc. Occasionally, I'll get a flood of texts when I swap from LTE to 3G, but then I don't receive them again. I have to reboot and swap networks back and forth again. I was sick of the phone anyhow, but I'm so tired of planned obsolescence.

Anyhow, can anyone recommend a good case for the 6P? I think I'm finally going to take the plunge with Project-Fi.
My wife and I both use Spigen cases for our 6Ps and have been happy with them. Fits the phone well, but low profile enough to not be obtrusive in your pocket. It's done a fine enough job of protecting my phone from my toddler when she happens to get a hold of it. My Dad, Mom and Brother use the same brand for their 5Xs as well and are also happy.

The one thing to be careful of with any case for the 6P is some of the early designs blocked the laser-focus mechanism, so whatever route you go make sure the case accounts for that.