Smartphones

Neph_sl

shitlord
Apparently the Facebook app is still a battery hog on iOS due to background data. But I haven't had a problem with battery life though, so I'm not deleting it.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Apparently the Facebook app is still a battery hog on iOS due to background data. But I haven't had a problem with battery life though, so I'm not deleting it.
It's like they should make a setting to stop apps from downloading in the background or something...oh wait...

Neph_sl

shitlord
It's like they should make a setting to stop apps from downloading in the background or something...oh wait...
Right, even with 'background app refresh' turned off people were claiming poor battery life and pointing at the Facebook app (Even with Background App Refresh Off, Facebooks Battery). The post is from this past October though, and Facebook updates its app fairly regularly. Since October, there have been 7 updates to the app, but they don't put enough description in their version histories to even indicate battery life improvements.

IDK, like I said, I don't have an issue with the app, so I keep it on my phone, use it daily, let it refresh in the background, and use location info. /shrug

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have had the facebook app off my phone for a couple weeks now and my battery life has been great but I miss it. It's kind of a shit show in mobile chrome compared to the app.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Had thisZenfone 2 64GBfor a few weeks now, I honestly cannot recommend it enough. The phone is fucking awesome! If you are in the market for an unlocked phone give this one a good look.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I put the Facebook app back on my phone and haven't seen any difference in battery life. The mobile web site is just garbage.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
T-Mobile customers can get a free MLB.tv subscription this year

Of course, there are conditions to this.but in all honesty, they don't seem all that restrictive. To take advantage of the offer, you must be on one of T-Mobile's "simple choice" plans, which require a credit check. Prepaid plans aren't eligible for the offer. Also, the offer can only be redeemed from April 3-10. You can't sign up before the season starts, and you can't sign up and take advantage of the offer after the first week of the season.
It'll also be difficult for users to get a refund if they already signed up for MLB.tv through MLB - you'll need to contact MLB.tv's notoriously difficult customer service department and jump through those hoops.

But hey, it's a free MLB.tv subscription. If you're already a T-Mobile customer, it doesn't make sense not to take advantage of this. Now, I wouldn't switch my provider just to get a free MLB.tv subscription, but if it's being offered up on a silver platter.why not?

Siliconemelons

Got me a little blackberry priv. Android is still garbage, but not as garbage as it was... but a lot of that may have to do with me installing the fewest apps as possible that are OS function related.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I don't mean to get into a pissing match, just genuinely curious, but how is Android garbage (and I'm making an assumption that you're comparing it to iOS)?

What is so much better about iOS that makes you say Android is garbage?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm a big Android fan, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is garbage on a Blackberry. This is 2016, not 2009...don't buy a Blackberry

Siliconemelons

In terms of what it is, its stock android with blackberry hub (email text manager) and a slightly modified task manager - both of them and the launcher etc. can all be replaced by nova, gmail etc. etc. its actually one of the few oems that's very close to stock android.

So really its just another android phone with a keyboard, and I have to have a real keyboard- me an virtuals don't get along.

I have had many phones throughout the years and the best, to me was WebOS it had the best flow, ui, multitasking, gestures etc. I have used ios, bb10 and older android versions and even windows mobile.

I like the priv because its a slider and I like that form factor.

Stock Android is almost on par in terms of function as iOS - but at least android you can, if you want replace things you don't like without rooting...at least to me.

So really, I think everything is garbage... but at least android has changed some fundamentals that make it a better os out of the box while apple is extremely proficient at polishing turds without changing anything- I read that the next iOS is to be completely overhauled but they say that every year.

Siliconemelons

Why would a company name a phone after a toilet?
because?

south-park-canada-on-strike.png

fris

Vyemm Raider
any reason not to get the s7?

my s6's charging port is fubar. 1 out 100 connections it will actually charge. took it in and they offered me 200 if it was full working order, 50 if it doesn't turn on. then 650 for a new s7... i'm not happy. i bought a wireless charging pad online for 12 bucks, hopefully that works well enough. i'll get a few to have around work, home, etc.

sprint is also doing the lease option where you pay 20 bucks month and can get a new phone every year. cost way more in the long run, but you get a new phone every year.

Siliconemelons

So basically you just have a shitty opinion about technologies that have changed the wayeveryone does everythingin the past decade.
We could rehash the entire betamax thing, but we all know that the "best" does not always survive or become the main adopted platform.

WebOS was far superior to android, Windows and ios when it was released- and to me it was way more functional and efficient for working, email, Internet etc. My phone is first a work device for me- hence the keyboard need and the way WebOS did email, text and multi tasking was way better for how I work than the other 3.

BB10 was the next closest thing in workflow than WebOS - imo it's sad to see that the advancements ios and android are making are things other os's had. Android is much better than the last 3 or 4 times I attempted to use it, and iOS is just annoying.