Smartphones

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I still love my 5X and Project Fi now 5 months later. Feels good seeing credits on my bill for not using all my data. Would have really liked the 6P but shipping schedule just didn't work out, but since I'm mostly home these days I have access to a PC and Tablet all the time.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
3 months in I still love my 6P. My only complaint with it is that the power/volume buttons are too easy to hit accidentally. I actually fully shut down my phone in the middle of a call a couple weeks ago because I didn't realize I was holding the power button down while I talked. Aside from that zero complaints. Love the battery life and the camera.

Siliconemelons

3 months in I still love my 6P. My only complaint with it is that the power/volume buttons are too easy to hit accidentally. I actually fully shut down my phone in the middle of a call a couple weeks ago because I didn't realize I was holding the power button down while I talked. Aside from that zero complaints. Love the battery life and the camera.
Co worker has Fi and the 6P - we had to go to our comp's DR site so he was using waze and I was exploring it on my Priv and getting used to having access to apps and stuff beyond the standard work stuff suite- email, internet, phone, notes, tasks etc. that's what I mostly focus on in my smart phones- and WebOS, BB10 are still better imo purely on that in terms of workslow and efficiency - but seeing just the small amount of "other" stuff that has really come into maturity as of late - like back when I was using my Galaxy 1 there was a wayze or something app for cops, accedents etc. but it was so rarely adopted it was just a worse functioning gmaps/navigator app... however years late now- wayze as an example has such a good adoption and maturity that it in functionality base is as good or better than your standard GPS suite + the crowd sourced info makes it an awesome app that was 98% on point with cops, accedents, cars on the side, slowdowns etc. on our trip to and fro.

So while I am sad that mass adoption did not follow systems I felt did a lot better at base, I hope the current offerings move toward advancement of some aspects- and from what the new versions of android and ios say they are doing they are- and in addition to the massive app catalog- and wow the play store is much better than it was, on my epic and galaxy it was so littered with crap apps that it was almost useless.

I also look forward to Project Fi moving forward and opening up to more phones- he said it uses Spring and TMO's 4g - what does it use if 4g is not avail (or wifi) does it have a 3g level backbone? GSM? CDMA? He never really has an issue because anywhere (buildings) where his LTE drops he has WiFi... I would love to drop Verizon and their $$$$ and go Fi

jeydax

Death and Taxes
... he said it uses Spring and TMO's 4g - what does it use if 4g is not avail (or wifi) does it have a 3g level backbone? GSM? CDMA? He never really has an issue because anywhere (buildings) where his LTE drops he has WiFi... I would love to drop Verizon and their $$$$ and go Fi
Basically yes to all of your questions. 3G. GSM. CDMA. Yes. The only times I've had connectivity issues is when everyone else around has had connectivity issues - way up in the middle of northern nowhere Minnesota.

Source:Google Tips and Tricks: Project Fi: Signal Icons and What They All Mean

At my office in the metro area I typically get 85 down and 30 up Mbps on T-Mobile's network.

Siliconemelons

Basically yes to all of your questions. 3G. GSM. CDMA. Yes. The only times I've had connectivity issues is when everyone else around has had connectivity issues - way up in the middle of northern nowhere Minnesota.

Source:Google Tips and Tricks: Project Fi: Signal Icons and What They All Mean

At my office in the metro area I typically get 85 down and 30 up Mbps on T-Mobile's network.
That's great that they have the backbone of literally every US carrier type - CDMA + GSM for 3g level and Sprint/TMO band 4g for LTE level stuff + Wifi... I wonder where Fi plays in on priority on each type/band - as usually that is why Cricket etc. etc. are "not as good" as the primary carrier is customers who are on leased bands (boost cricket metro etc) have lower priority than the owners of the band, Sprint/Verizon etc. and technically if something is blocked/filled and a Verizon customer wants to do something it will boot off a lease carrier customer to make room for the primary customer... that mostly mattered back in the day but with the backbone etc. that I am sure happens much less than a few years ago.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
whats the major difference between iphone 4 and 5, i dont use my cell phone for anything but texting so i never bothered to invest into a smart phone. my sister has an iphone 4 mint condition, and then she has a 5 with a cracked screen, is it worth fixing the 5's screen or just stick with the 4, or is there a major difference where i should get the 5 with the plan to fix the screen in short order.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
whats the major difference between iphone 4 and 5, i dont use my cell phone for anything but texting so i never bothered to invest into a smart phone. my sister has an iphone 4 mint condition, and then she has a 5 with a cracked screen, is it worth fixing the 5's screen or just stick with the 4, or is there a major difference where i should get the 5 with the plan to fix the screen in short order.
The 4's screen is the old small one. They went bigger with the 5 (not much but very noticeable). The 5 has better internals too but on iOS 9 they both lag a bit. I'd fix the screen on the 5 or find at least a 5s on the cheap. The 4's screen was way too small.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
The 4's screen is the old small one. They went bigger with the 5 (not much but very noticeable). The 5 has better internals too but on iOS 9 they both lag a bit. I'd fix the screen on the 5 or find at least a 5s on the cheap. The 4's screen was way too small.
Cool thanks, i can probably find some local shop to fix the screen for a decent price.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When my screen went on my 3, I bought a replacement from China on eBay for like $10 and watched YouTube videos on how to swap it out. It wasn't all that difficult.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
When my screen went on my 3, I bought a replacement from China on eBay for like $10 and watched YouTube videos on how to swap it out. It wasn't all that difficult.
Yep, and any local repair shop won't charge you less than $100 to fix a screen, more than likely.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Someone tell me i'm not crazy. My old ass galaxy s3 started to shut off and overheat everydamn time I landed in san fran. Stayed a whole week in CA and my phone would just shut off. I'd reboot and sometimes it'd shut off, sometimes it'd last 3 minutes. I went crazy taking off every app that could even run in the background, overheat or anything. I was so freaked out, i saved my boarding pass as a screenshot, as long as i kept my screen off, i got txt msgs from my wife (on my pebble), but if i tried to respond on my pebble, it'd crash the app, and my phone (never happened).

Decided phone was just straight fucked, didn't even update a rom since 2013, decided to just buy a refurbished note4 (i didn't want the 5 w/ no removable battery). All of a sudden my phone works like a beast again in NJ.

TLDR: Can a phone fuck up big time on the west coast and work like a champ on the east coast? Holy shit i'm thinking the antennas and signal strength on the west coast fucked some shit up, or phone was just too ancient anyway.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I have an LG G3 and it started rebooting randomly for about 2 weeks not too long after an OS update and now seems to be okay. It's been a pretty solid phone.

I even dropped it into a toilet about a year ago, took it almost completely apart, dried it out, and it worked fine.

That said, I have had it for a couple of years at this point and Verizon tells me I can upgrade a few months early. What's the go to phablet in 2016?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Someone tell me i'm not crazy. My old ass galaxy s3 started to shut off and overheat everydamn time I landed in san fran. Stayed a whole week in CA and my phone would just shut off. I'd reboot and sometimes it'd shut off, sometimes it'd last 3 minutes. I went crazy taking off every app that could even run in the background, overheat or anything. I was so freaked out, i saved my boarding pass as a screenshot, as long as i kept my screen off, i got txt msgs from my wife (on my pebble), but if i tried to respond on my pebble, it'd crash the app, and my phone (never happened).

Decided phone was just straight fucked, didn't even update a rom since 2013, decided to just buy a refurbished note4 (i didn't want the 5 w/ no removable battery). All of a sudden my phone works like a beast again in NJ.

TLDR: Can a phone fuck up big time on the west coast and work like a champ on the east coast? Holy shit i'm thinking the antennas and signal strength on the west coast fucked some shit up, or phone was just too ancient anyway.
I don't know why CA would be different than anywhere else but to me the most amazing thing about this story is that you have kept a phone going for 4+ years.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don't know why CA would be different than anywhere else but to me the most amazing thing about this story is that you have kept a phone going for 4+ years.
I mean its a s3, i have a dock that charges an extra battery, it talks to my pebble and does txt's shits gps and easy reminders, music and tons of podcasts. I'm not a photo guy so the shit camera didn't bother me. I'm also old school, i keep a memo pad and pen cuz i like writing, so the note would have been the only plausible option.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
When you get a new phone you are going to be stunned by the screen. I turned on my old Galaxy Nexus (which was basically an S3) a few months ago and couldn't believe how fuzzy and low res the screen was.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have an LG G3 and it started rebooting randomly for about 2 weeks not too long after an OS update and now seems to be okay. It's been a pretty solid phone.

I even dropped it into a toilet about a year ago, took it almost completely apart, dried it out, and it worked fine.

That said, I have had it for a couple of years at this point and Verizon tells me I can upgrade a few months early. What's the go to phablet in 2016?
I have the Note 5 and love it. No SD card or removable battery but I don't care about either of those things.

Siliconemelons

Droid MM is starting to roll out to BB Priv's today for unloacked / gsms and May 3rd for carrier channel phones.

Looking forward to the reported improved battery and heat mitigation and granular permissions. I also look forward to FI eventually opening up more phones to their service as I cant wait to ditch Verizon for $$$ reasons, their speed and service are still top notch in my use/area.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Blah, if MS is really going to wait until next April to release the Surface phone I guess my next move is the next Nexus phablet and Google Fi.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I also look forward to FI eventually opening up more phones to their service as I cant wait to ditch Verizon for $$$ reasons, their speed and service are still top notch in my use/area.
If Fi ever opens up to non nexus phones, your phone would still need to have the radios for both Sprint and TMO, which is pretty uncommon. Most phones support Verizon and Sprint (CDMA) or AT&T and TMO (GSM).