Smartphones

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Guys, I am rocking a Galaxy S4 that I got from AT&T for a dollar as a used phone upgrade when I renewed my contract a few years ago. My contract is up for renewal again and I found out that no one does free or discounted phones anymore for renewal. I have been super happy with Galaxy line (had an S2 before the S4) but now I fear that I am stuck with this one for a few more years because I refuse to pay more for a cellphone than a midrange notebook. I'm sure this all sounds super curmudgeon-y in the bleeding edge smartphone thread, but I'm wondering if there are still super good deals on 2 generation previous phones or if I am just screwed in the age of $600+ smartphones.

TLDR: I am a grumpy old man when it comes to cellphones and wut do?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Look into their newer plans instead of default renewing your existing grandfathered plan. You might find one of the new plans offers similar options but is cheaper and assumes you'll bring your own phone. Potentially similar costs in the end.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Look into their newer plans instead of default renewing your existing grandfathered plan. You might find one of the new plans offers similar options but is cheaper and assumes you'll bring your own phone. Potentially similar costs in the end.

Ugh, good point. I am grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan and won't be able to keep it; however, it looks like they go ahead and cap my bandwidth once the whole account reaches 10GB of data used per month. I am just too enamored by the word 'unlimited' when the other options are 1GB, 5GB, and 10GB.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Guys, I am rocking a Galaxy S4 that I got from AT&T for a dollar as a used phone upgrade when I renewed my contract a few years ago. My contract is up for renewal again and I found out that no one does free or discounted phones anymore for renewal. I have been super happy with Galaxy line (had an S2 before the S4) but now I fear that I am stuck with this one for a few more years because I refuse to pay more for a cellphone than a midrange notebook. I'm sure this all sounds super curmudgeon-y in the bleeding edge smartphone thread, but I'm wondering if there are still super good deals on 2 generation previous phones or if I am just screwed in the age of $600+ smartphones.

Why not just get something from last generation on eBay or Craigslist for 200-300? Biggest downside will be the battery will suck to start.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

Unlocked 32gb Nexus 6p on Amazon for $399 prime shipping. Do it.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pixel drops tomorrow. The Galaxy S7 I think would be a fine phone but shits out of stock everywhere. Get the Pixel tomorrow or wait a while for an S7. Probably go Pixel so I can have it right away. 'Murica!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Just buy an old/used/refurb prev gen phone.

I got a Note4 (i didn't want the 5, w/ non-removable battery and no microSD)for $150, only the back camera was broken, new lens cost 4bucks.

Crone

Got my shipping email yesterday evening, Will have my Pixel delivered tomorrow afternoon
Went to Verizon store right as it opened expecting they would have stock of everything. Only had white 32gb in XL, so I passed and walked out.

Still have a grenade phone!

And after seeing it in person, it's design is pretty shitty. Losing the edge screen, and having to deal with on screen home and back buttons is stupid as fuck when the phone has a massive chin with literally nothing on it. Wtf?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
And after seeing it in person, it's design is pretty shitty. Losing the edge screen, and having to deal with on screen home and back buttons is stupid as fuck when the phone has a massive chin with literally nothing on it. Wtf?

Despite Google claiming to have designed the phone themselves, it's a partially recycled design from HTC, who actually built it. It's loosely based on the HTC A9, which had physical buttons on that large chin.

Crone

Despite Google claiming to have designed the phone themselves, it's a partially recycled design from HTC, who actually built it. It's loosely based on the HTC A9, which had physical buttons on that large chin.
That would make sense because it looks atrocious. Just put in my order for an S7 Edge, and will ship out on Monday if Verizon is to be believed.

• 1Solidarity

Vaclav

That would make sense because it looks atrocious. Just put in my order for an S7 Edge, and will ship out on Monday if Verizon is to be believed.

Welcome to the club, wife and I love the fuck out of ours.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

I wouldn't quite call it atrocious, but it's very meh for me design wise. The overly large chin being the biggest offense. Hopefully they used all that space well.

My Oneplus One is showing its age I want to get back to stock android (without having to root or flash roms), so I was willing to put up with the design for what looks to be an otherwise quality phone. I considered a 6P, but I'm tired of buying last year's phones the last few times and want to indulge in something higher end for once.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I wouldn't quite call it atrocious, but it's very meh for me design wise. The overly large chin being the biggest offense. Hopefully they used all that space well.

My Oneplus One is showing its age I want to get back to stock android (without having to root or flash roms), so I was willing to put up with the design for what looks to be an otherwise quality phone. I considered a 6P, but I'm tired of buying last year's phones the last few times and want to indulge in something higher end for once.

If you get the chance check out a 6P and the Pixel. Pixel has some upgraded stuff but not a whole lot to be honest especially considering what you could probably get a 6P for now. Not saying you shouldn't get a Pixel but I didn't see much of an improvement from my 6P when I played around with the Pixel, 6P for sure felt better in my hand.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
If you get the chance check out a 6P and the Pixel. Pixel has some upgraded stuff but not a whole lot to be honest especially considering what you could probably get a 6P for now. Not saying you shouldn't get a Pixel but I didn't see much of an improvement from my 6P when I played around with the Pixel, 6P for sure felt better in my hand.

I already ordered the Pixel after the 10/4 event and I got a 26th-28th delivery window.

I completely agree with anyone not wanting to upgrade from a 6P, as the pixel doesn't have enough over it unless you are desperate to get in on the Daydream VR. I mainly justified this to myself that I had money set aside for a phone and with all the overtime I've had lately I can indulge myself for once.

Vaclav

I still don't get the hype of edge screens. Unless you can set them to randomly flash you titties

The edge interface is of limited usefullness for most things - but like for my top 5 contacts and most common apps I use it's nice having a separate sidebar to pull out and have them quick and accessible.

Also getting used to the colors to know what a notification is when its face down is handy too, although much more rarely.

Plus it's sexy.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Where do you keep your phone that is edge usable? Mine is in my pocket till I need to use it.