Smartphones

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I can see the desk since you can point it at you. The car cradle you use makes it visible?

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I can see the desk since you can point it at you. The car cradle you use makes it visible?

I use the Apps Edge for common navigations that I do - not reading the edge colors, a different edge feature.

Pull from side, boom - common navigation options + other common apps I might want to pull up while driving without much distraction rather than searching - done in like 2-3 sec.

Crone

Well, it looks like I lucked out. My Pixel has shipped and FedEx says it should arrive on Monday.
Nice! Friend of mine that got it on Thursday has said that it's not the best phone by any means, but the software experience may be the best he's used in a really long time. Everything is so smooth, and you can tell it's tailored for Google, as it should be. That smooth software experience is for sure enough to sway a lot of people.

Honest video that I think sums up what I'm thinking about it:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I can't help laughing at people that say things like the phone "lacks personality" or that the design is "uninspiring". Does anyone really give a shit about this or is it just something for phone reviewers to talk about and then other people parrot them? Have you actually been inspired in any way by a rectangular black piece of plastic or aluminum? Seems more likely that people have just been sold by Apple marketing into believing that this shit matters. That video is rife with faggotry.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My friend took some 4k photos with the Pixel and they did look good

Here's what I care about in order of importance:

1. Is the phone fast and responsive
  2. Is the OS not dog shit
  3. Does it take good photos
  4. Does it connect to my cars audio system
  5. Does it fit into my pocket with out looking like I'm carrying a small bible in my pocket

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
I WAS USING A GALAXY S4 SO I CAN CARE LESS ABOUT WHAT SOME OF YOU THINK ABOUT THE SHORTCOMIGS OF THE PIXEL. HUGE UPGRADE FOR ME AND i WOULD HAVE PAID THAT PRICE FOR ANY OF THE OTHER PHONS i WAS LOOKING AT.

IT'S CAPS LOCK DAY SO DEAL WITH IT!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think the Pixel looks great, price is just a bit absurd to me. I remember when the original nexus was one of the best phones at the cheapest price

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I WAS USING A GALAXY S4 SO I CAN CARE LESS ABOUT WHAT SOME OF YOU THINK ABOUT THE SHORTCOMIGS OF THE PIXEL. HUGE UPGRADE FOR ME AND i WOULD HAVE PAID THAT PRICE FOR ANY OF THE OTHER PHONS i WAS LOOKING AT.

IT'S CAPS LOCK DAY SO DEAL WITH IT!
Ok.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I can't help laughing at people that say things like the phone "lacks personality" or that the design is "uninspiring". Does anyone really give a shit about this or is it just something for phone reviewers to talk about and then other people parrot them? Have you actually been inspired in any way by a rectangular black piece of plastic or aluminum? Seems more likely that people have just been sold by Apple marketing into believing that this shit matters. That video is rife with faggotry.
Yeah I really don't get that at all. All of the phones at this point are remarkably similar in shape, so I don't know what the fuck these people are looking for. Literally every good thing he said about the phone was about performance, and the only bad things were visual.

I got my shipping info and it says ETA Thursday.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Well, Fed Ex delivered early, so I'm heading out to pick up my Pixel. I'll be going to a hockey game tonight, which my OPO always struggled with camera wise. I figure that should be a decent test of the Pixel's camera.

I'll post my impressions later tonight, let me know if you guys have any specific questions.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I still don't get the hype of edge screens. Unless you can set them to randomly flash you titties
Edge screen looks really nice. I'm pretty sure I have no functional use for the edges, I just like that it makes the screen look bezel-less. I'm honestly considering buying one just for that over a midrange phone that has the same soc.

In a market flooded with phones, gotta do something to standout. Unique screen and giant battery might be it.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So far I really like the Pixel. Build quality is very good. It feels solid and there is almost no play in the power and volume buttons. It is fairly slippery, but so is every phone compared to the textured back of the OPO. The bottom speaker is fairly loud and decent quality, but the right side speaker hole is purely cosmetic. For a device with as large a chin as this one, that is almost as disappointing as it not having dual front speakers.

The screen is excellent and it was bright enough to view easily when I was outside, though it was cloudy today. It does have a slight greenish cast compared to my OPO on the default screen tuning for each, but I think the OPO is tuned slightly to the blue side. I tried enabling sRGB mode on the Pixel (you need to enable developer options) and I'm not quite sure which I like better.

Performance wise I haven't run in to any issues, everything is nice and fast. It gets warm while gaming, as expected, but not overly so. The touch response is especially good, I can't detect any lag to it. This is the first phone I've had with a fingerprint sensor, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I have no complaints. It's fast and hasn't failed to work so far.

The camera is ridiculously fast. In HDR+ mode, it's ready to take another picture immediately after I take one. It focuses very quickly as well. I also tried a little video and the stabilization is as good as people have been saying.

I'm a crappy photographer, but here's a shot from the hockey game I went to last night. Default settings.

run4Ehb.jpg
In comparison, here's one I took with my OPO last year.

R2DNV5y.jpg

Edit: Spoilered huge pictures.

Brad2770

I have had Sprint now for about 10 years with no problems. I ordered my iPhone 7 plus and my son's SE earlier this week. The next day, there was a refund on my account. I called to ask why my order had been canceled and they said it hadn't been canceled. I tried to explain the refund on my account and eventually had to escalate. I finally got through to someone and they led me to believe that my account would be corrected and the refund would be reversed. Two days later, my account had the refund reversed for the proper amounts on the phones.

I log in this morning to find an amount, to be the exact amount of the phones, credited to my phone bill.....

I'm not calling again. I'll keep the free phone.

Vaclav

I have had Sprint now for about 10 years with no problems. I ordered my iPhone 7 plus and my son's SE earlier this week. The next day, there was a refund on my account. I called to ask why my order had been canceled and they said it hadn't been canceled. I tried to explain the refund on my account and eventually had to escalate. I finally got through to someone and they led me to believe that my account would be corrected and the refund would be reversed. Two days later, my account had the refund reversed for the proper amounts on the phones.

I log in this morning to find an amount, to be the exact amount of the phones, credited to my phone bill.....

I'm not calling again. I'll keep the free phone.

Did you finance the phones? That's how our phones showed up when they set up the financing for them (even wackier for ours actually - had one charge for like $15 more than cost, then reversal on the $15 to proper price, then reversal of the whole thing).

Brad2770

2 year contract allowed for some reduced pricing of the phone. I paid the remaining balance. I'm not paying for that iPhone Forever stuff.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I don't know why any phone manufacturer would bother putting any effort into aesthetics, colors, and physical design. 95% of the general public slaps a huge, bulky case on their phone and you never see what it actually looks like after about the first 10 minutes of taking it out of the box. I can't stand cases, but then again I also am not prone to dropping my phone at all.

Vaclav

2 year contract allowed for some reduced pricing of the phone. I paid the remaining balance. I'm not paying for that iPhone Forever stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it yo-yo similarly when they next bill comes.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't know why any phone manufacturer would bother putting any effort into aesthetics, colors, and physical design. 95% of the general public slaps a huge, bulky case on their phone and you never see what it actually looks like after about the first 10 minutes of taking it out of the box. I can't stand cases, but then again I also am not prone to dropping my phone at all.
Yeah my wife's family all bought custom moto xs and spent like 2 days picking out their designs. They all got wood backs too.

They came in and immediately on goes a giant fuckin tacky ass otter box. Why spend 50 extra for a wood back if it's never seen?