Smartphones

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Signed up for project fi today. Just got 6ps. My moto X has been dying at like 40% charge lately. Glad to be off verizon

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Agraza

Registered Hutt
The USB C jack on my Nexus 6P is getting pretty loose after a year. I might be a little harder on my phones than most people and I'm always getting dirt and lint in it but it's getting to the point where I can't charge it on the road because the plug vibrates out.

Get a pin and shift it around in the phone slot to extract the compacted lint and your jack should seat fully and click into place.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I do this pretty regularly and it does help but it still isn't tight like when it was new. My phone almost never says "charging rapidly" anymore either, even though all of my chargers are capable of it. I think wireless charging is going to be a requirement on my next phone.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Shame. :( Does the trick for me. Wireless would be nice of course, but that rapid charge likely won't be replaced.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Yes, Apple people overpay for things even in the secondary market.
one could argue that Android owners are overpaying for a piece of hardware that has essentially the same features and functions and will be worth considerably less than its Apple equivalent next year.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
That would be true if it was the same price. Most of the time it's not.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
That would be true if it was the same price. Most of the time it's not.
S7 Edge is $780 new
iPhone 7 is $650 new
iPhone 7 Plus is $750 new
Pixel is $650 new
Pixel XL is $770 new

if anything the pricing here is in Apple's favor.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, and the Edge's market share of android phones is miniscule. The majority of android phones are half that, even new.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Yea, and the Edge's market share of android phones is miniscule. The majority of android phones are half that, even new.
So what are these Android phones that are comparable to new iPhones in terms of features and are half the price?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
That doesn't exist, and, as far as I can tell, you're the only one postulating that it may. In reality you'll find new android phones that do 75-90% of what a new iphone does for half the price. You want the top of the line, you pay an exorbitant price premium.

But Apple's offerings aren't even necessarily top of the line and will still command that premium because of the brand. The android ecosystem has more depreciation because no one commands that kind of brand recognition. Samsung's image has been inching higher, but their recent troubles have tarnished them. Google's Pixel phones are an effort to establish a design-first brand in the android ecosystem to both lure apple customers and maintain android users among that clientele. It's an elusive segment of the market that only Apple has managed to capture, exclusively because of the instincts of Jobs.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
That doesn't exist, and, as far as I can tell, you're the only one postulating that it may. In reality you'll find new android phones that do 75-90% of what a new iphone does for half the price. You want the top of the line, you pay an exorbitant price premium.

But Apple's offerings aren't even necessarily top of the line and will still command that premium because of the brand. The android ecosystem has more depreciation because no one commands that kind of brand recognition. Samsung's image has been inching higher, but their recent troubles have tarnished them. Google's Pixel phones are an effort to establish a design-first brand in the android ecosystem to both lure apple customers and maintain android users among that clientele. It's an elusive segment of the market that only Apple has managed to capture, exclusively because of the instincts of Jobs.
yeah I agree with almost all of what you wrote here. the argument i was making was in response to those above asserting that iPhone owners are overpaying for their devices when in fact their devices hold their value much better than comparable Android devices.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I always think about selling my old phone but usually wind up just sticking it in a drawer in case I break the new one. Don't give a fuck about resale value. My point is that people pay more for shit because it has an apple logo on it, whether that makes any sense or not.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I do this pretty regularly and it does help but it still isn't tight like when it was new. My phone almost never says "charging rapidly" anymore either, even though all of my chargers are capable of it. I think wireless charging is going to be a requirement on my next phone.
It's never as tight as the first time, huh?

But yeah, the claim that people overpay for apple phones is pretty retarded. People overpay for flagship phones, whether apple or android