Smartphones

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I mean isn't that like last gen with promos?

I'm not sure, I've been sticking with the Nexus line for no contract goodness. The no headphone shit and Google's retardedness in general lately has me thinking other options are worth a look.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
no contract goodness.

What is this exactly? How often do you change carriers?

I don't understand people's obsession with not being "locked in" It feels like a stupid cop out to keep "the man" from having power over you. What's the problem with a two year contract? Short of an unexpected sudden bankruptcy why is a contract such a scary thing. Even in a difficult financial situation my cell phone is probably one of the last expenses I would cut out.

Not to mention all the major US carriers will gladly help buy you out of your current contract to switch to them, so you aren't even tied into a single carrier if you don't want to be.

The fact is IF you stay with a company for 2 years straight you should have done it under contract to snag whatever extra deals they are offering, like the high trade-in value Verizon is offering me on my S6. As a private sale I could get 150 tops, but they will give me 335 for the phone, divided over 24 billing cycles. I break even on that at billing cycle 12/13 and after that they are giving me more value for the phone then I could've gotten otherwise.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Folan define what took too long please LOL

General idiots were I live, had never seen someone bring in a phone directly from Samsung , they had to look thru the "book" on how to activate it for there network *facepalm*

I have no contract but grandfathered unlimited data, I don't really use it much these days but it is cheaper then Verizon's current unlimited plans.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The biggest issue I have right now is that I never pay off my phone. As I typed that, I remembered there used to be , or is a deal with Samsung where they'll eat whatever you have left on your phone, and just roll you into the new device. Now I might have to check all that out. Hmm.

Crone

This Note 8 is pretty legit. I missed the s-pen. The screen is the best I’ve ever seen on a phone. And for $505, it’s a steal. Plus all the preorder freebies. Now to see if I can break myself off iMessage. So far, using textra with gboard is a pretty good combo.

I’ve been off the Android scene a long time. What are some must have apps?
I've been using Swiftkey forever as a keyboard. I really like that it'll sync between all devices, so any MMO terms, etc etc all work flawlessly between all my devices. I'm sure Gboard, given it's Google would work the same way through your Google account. Might have to give it a try.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
What is this exactly? How often do you change carriers?

I don't understand people's obsession with not being "locked in" It feels like a stupid cop out to keep "the man" from having power over you. What's the problem with a two year contract? Short of an unexpected sudden bankruptcy why is a contract such a scary thing. Even in a difficult financial situation my cell phone is probably one of the last expenses I would cut out.

Not to mention all the major US carriers will gladly help buy you out of your current contract to switch to them, so you aren't even tied into a single carrier if you don't want to be.

The fact is IF you stay with a company for 2 years straight you should have done it under contract to snag whatever extra deals they are offering, like the high trade-in value Verizon is offering me on my S6. As a private sale I could get 150 tops, but they will give me 335 for the phone, divided over 24 billing cycles. I break even on that at billing cycle 12/13 and after that they are giving me more value for the phone then I could've gotten otherwise.

I just don't like being locked into contracts for any reason, I've been hit with too many lay offs in my life and that makes things very difficult. The last time I went up there about a year ago they don't even do contracts anymore. You pay for the full price of the phone (600-800 bucks) with payments every month.

I don't think any phone is worth that much money. I liked the Nexus phones for that reason.

Vaclav

The biggest issue I have right now is that I never pay off my phone. As I typed that, I remembered there used to be , or is a deal with Samsung where they'll eat whatever you have left on your phone, and just roll you into the new device. Now I might have to check all that out. Hmm.

Serious? Please hit me up with info if you find it, el woman wants to upgrade to a Note8 (might be for me though, and I'd give her the S8+ depends on which is more useful for my work stuff) but not loving the idea of the ~$400 payoff still due right this sec.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
The cost doesn't really bother me, my note3 went on almost 5 years, feel I do get the value out them. I could probably fix the problems I have with my 3, think I need to strip the main board, and re-flow the whole thing but not really worth it.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I don't think any phone is worth that much money. I liked the Nexus phones for that reason.

I don't have an issue with the price considering it's the most used electronic in my life.

There's a lot more frivolous things to spend money on then a mini computer i literally use for hours each day.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I've been using Swiftkey forever as a keyboard. I really like that it'll sync between all devices, so any MMO terms, etc etc all work flawlessly between all my devices. I'm sure Gboard, given it's Google would work the same way through your Google account. Might have to give it a try.

I used Swiftkey for years but switched to the standard Android keyboard when it got Swype capabilities and haven't found a reason to switch back.

Crone

Serious? Please hit me up with info if you find it, el woman wants to upgrade to a Note8 (might be for me though, and I'd give her the S8+ depends on which is more useful for my work stuff) but not loving the idea of the ~$400 payoff still due right this sec.
Called Verizon, and got a nice dude to answer some questions. It's based on manufacturer what the trade in has to be. They referenced it as 100% pay off, vs 50%. Depends on device as well. Right now, the S7 Edge is 100% pay off, so it sounds like me and your el woman are in the exact same boat. Would cost me $450 to pay it off, to be able to trade it in, in order to save $480 over 24 months. Doesn't make sense right now.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I don't have an issue with the price considering it's the most used electronic in my life.

There's a lot more frivolous things to spend money on then a mini computer i literally use for hours each day.
For real. Far and away the most used item in my life, I don't mind spending a lot for a good
Phone. Id spend $1k on a phone if the features warranted it, but i don't think the $1k phones really do right now.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
But what does a 800 dollar phone do that a 200 dollar one doesn't?

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I mean so you really think that $200 phone can do anything as well as an $800 phone? Which two are we comparing here?
Any 200-300 dollar phone compared to 800-900? I used to buy the latest models but the difference between each successive ones diminished to a point where I just don't see any difference. So what is the reason to buy now other than new shiny effect?

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
So while performance shouldn't be much different between S8/S8+ and the Note 8 this video is really interesting about the impact of 6GB of Ram vs. 4GB.

Any 200-300 dollar phone compared to 800-900? I used to buy the latest models but the difference between each successive ones diminished to a point where I just don't see any difference. So what is the reason to buy now other than new shiny effect?

Note 8 is a worlds difference from my 2 generation old S6.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>

The larger screen without notably larger size. I've been annoyed by the giant bezels since my first phone. This is the first phone I've used that feels like a screen in my hand rather then a screen inside an unnecessarily large box. It's ever so slightly wider, ~1/2" longer, but has 1.1" larger screen.

And this doesn't hold only to the Note 8, the S8/8+, lg V30, new iPhones all have this, and it feels like a significant jump from what we've had up until now.

• 1Picard

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The larger screen without notably larger size. I've been annoyed by the giant bezels since my first phone. This is the first phone I've used that feels like a screen in my hand rather then a screen inside an unnecessarily large box. It's ever so slightly wider, ~1/2" longer, but has 1.1" larger screen.

And this doesn't hold only to the Note 8, the S8/8+, lg V30, new iPhones all have this, and it feels like a significant jump from what we've had up until now.
OK that's something. Probably never noticed that myself since I cover my phone in a case.

• 1Solidarity

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
OK that's something. Probably never noticed that myself since I cover my phone in a case.

I do as well but I don't use excessive cases. I prefer Spigen Cases for protection without bulk. Tough Armor on my S6, Hybrid Armor on my S8+ (work phone) and Note 8. Otter boxes and such are stupid.