Smartphones

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
After being on android for a very long time this is exactly what I love about Apple right now.

When I download an app I know that it's clean of malware, it will work on my phone 100%, and that my entire family can get it also without needing my login information on every phone.

Did you honestly ever get malware besides sideloading? I've never bumped into a single person that got malware via the Play Store, always has been a result of sideloading or rooting. (Although that said, I ingrain into the people that I help tech support their stuff to not download stuff from random people and to never sideload)

And on "family sharing" Play Store has had that for a bit now, I want to say 18 months or so? It's somewhat recent though unless there's some substantive difference between them that I'm unaware of.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Some playstore apps have a bunch of click baits in them or are horribly tuned, but yeah I can't see anyone getting true malware from the play store.

I'm firmly in the don't give a shit about brand as long as it works for me crowd. An awesome camera and SD card slot is really my main criteria because all of the pictures I take off my kids and stuff are on my phone.

• 1Like

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I just rage quit on my Note 8. It wasn’t even Samsung’s fault. It’s Android/ATT. I was sending the wife (who has an iPhone) a video I recorded earlier at a pet store. It was only a 15 second video but the lack of RCS on ATT’s part with unlocked phones coupled with the lack of a native client that can send this crap without 100 hoops to jump through just reinforced why I love my iPhone. The video was so compressed, you could barely even make out the animals. And since my ENTIRE family is on Apple, this is an issue.

ATT caps MMS messages at 1MB so even my GIFs we’re getting compressed. Android really needs to pull an Apple and kick the carriers out of this crap and standardize Android more.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
MMS? Gross. I used Facebook Messenger almost exclusively.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I use Hangouts for everything. Works fine for sending pictures and videos to iPhones.
I don't have a single family member without an iphone though and not one of them use hangouts.

I have two friends that use hangouts and one of them is @Lendarios

The solution to not being able to send large files over MMS should not be to get a different app so that it can be compatible. Luckily all my relatives and 90% of my friends agree! iMessage4lyfe

• 1Solidarity

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Ive had an HTC One for the last several years (a couple of iterations of it) and thoroughly enjoyed the phone and so was hoping to hold out for the Pixel 2, but my phone died and I had to switch ASAP. I have to say I love my Pixel XL. All the things I like about the HTC hardware and supreme Android functionality. Was not too surprising to see this today : Google bets anew on smartphones, pays $1.1 billion for HTC's Pixel division

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I don't have a single family member without an iphone though and not one of them use hangouts.

I have two friends that use hangouts and one of them is @Lendarios

The solution to not being able to send large files over MMS should not be to get a different app so that it can be compatible. Luckily all my relatives and 90% of my friends agree! iMessage4lyfe

That's a provider limitation. iMessage is an app just like hangouts. Just happens to be an exclusive app. Great if everyone is on board. If not, just have them download hangouts since it, you know actually works on all devices.

While I said before I don't really give a shit about brand, I just read that Apple actually stopped allowing you to turn off wifi and bluetooth radios in ios 11. What a shit idea lol. If they keep that "feature" in I'll definitely never own another one.

Use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in Control Center with iOS 11

Last edited:

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
While I said before I don't really give a shit about brand, I just read that Apple actually stopped allowing you to turn off wifi and bluetooth radios in ios 11. What a shit idea lol. If they keep that "feature" in I'll definitely never own another one.

Use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in Control Center with iOS 11
I actually don't really understand the point of this. Why would you ever want to toggle WiFi and BT off, but still leave the connection open?

I get that you still have the ability to turn it all the way off, but it seems odd to have this option. I am sure there is a reason for it, anyone care to explain?

Crone

I just rage quit on my Note 8. It wasn’t even Samsung’s fault. It’s Android/ATT. I was sending the wife (who has an iPhone) a video I recorded earlier at a pet store. It was only a 15 second video but the lack of RCS on ATT’s part with unlocked phones coupled with the lack of a native client that can send this crap without 100 hoops to jump through just reinforced why I love my iPhone. The video was so compressed, you could barely even make out the animals. And since my ENTIRE family is on Apple, this is an issue.

ATT caps MMS messages at 1MB so even my GIFs we’re getting compressed. Android really needs to pull an Apple and kick the carriers out of this crap and standardize Android more.
This happens on Verizon as well, so it's not really carrier specific. For the wife, I've started to use WhatsApp which is basically iMessage for Android. But no way in hell I'm gonna get the whole family on board with that.

Similar to a_skeleton_03 my entire family is on iPhone and so I'm feeling the pressure to switch. Maybe I'll just trade my S7 Edge towards a iPhone 7+? 7s+? Haven't looked at names. Same generation and probably cheaper AF at this point?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I actually don't really understand the point of this. Why would you ever want to toggle WiFi and BT off, but still leave the connection open?

I get that you still have the ability to turn it all the way off, but it seems odd to have this option. I am sure there is a reason for it, anyone care to explain?

I don't really agree with it but the obvious intent is to prevent people from disconnecting their watch/airpods/etc inadvertently, which people probably don't even realize work via bluetooth.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I don't really agree with it but the obvious intent is to prevent people from disconnecting their watch/airpods/etc inadvertently, which people probably don't even realize work via bluetooth.
That's pretty fucking retarded then

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
MMS as a protocol is getting pretty long in the tooth these days as it was built for super low bandwidth cell networks. That's why everyone has mostly shifted to messaging apps that use newer protocols when possible and fall back to MMS when not possible (i.e. iMessage to non iPhones (the green ones)). Apple could release an iMessage client for android if they were so inclined. I personally don't have an issue using multiple messaging apps, but I also understand why one would want to avoid it as well.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Bought a note 8 last night. Thing is the tits compared to the s6 active I had. The dual camera is amazing.

• 1Like

Crone

is whatsapp not big in the US? It's been the default multi-platform messaging app for the last 5-6 years in the UK
It's popular, but not really because I've noticed, groups of friends/family tend to have iPhone's or not. I love it, because I love being able to message from my computer. Which of course us exactly what people with macs and iMessage can do. My whole family has iPhone and I'm the last hold out. Got the wife using WhatsApp for just me, and to avoid as much compression as possible, I'll send stuff to her and she'll forward it to family over iMessage.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Owen JJ Stone was on TWiT this week and I think he explained the real reason people pay more for iPhones.

(Don't let the running time scare you, it's cued up to the right point and you only need to listen to like 1 minute.)

It's all about successful marketing making people feel superior for having this thing (and a bit of ecosystem lock in to keep you there after you're in). People don't like to admit it but that is real and then they rationalize it with shit like worrying about malware.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Owen JJ Stone was on TWiT this week and I think he explained the real reason people pay more for iPhones.

(Don't let the running time scare you, it's cued up to the right point and you only need to listen to like 1 minute.)

It's all about successful marketing making people feel superior for having this thing (and a bit of ecosystem lock in to keep you there after you're in). People don't like to admit it but that is real and then they rationalize it with shit like worrying about malware.

Couldn’t be that Apple nailed the software integration with the hardware huh?

Crone

It feels good as fuck when you have a new phone on release day and everyone wants to see your phone. Same reason chicks dig getting flowers at work so they can show them off. That works for every phone though, in terms of having it at release day. As for iPhone? I've never personally felt better about having an iPhone over Samsung, but having either brand new does feel better. Part of why I want one so bad. I've had mine for less than a year, because I got it as a Note 7 replacement, but its been out on the market like 1.5 years, and so its old news. Sucks.