Smartphones

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Further digging it becomes a bit more clear...

She essentially downsized a capacitor to fit inside of a cell phone, to take the batteries place. The problem is that this was only tested to power one LED so far, lol.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Hows the build quality on your Nexus 4's? I'm very leery about LG quality and how they can price it at $299 without cutting corners. That said, I'm still considering it for my next phone.
I have "dropped" my phone no less than 3 times, all were relatively small falls, one hit the metal frame of our bed though and I thought I was about to be screwed. Most damage the phone has is on the metal side around the frame of the glass, on mine it is slightly bent in where it landed on 2 of the falls. Sucker is amazing for cleaning but the screens do hold prints on initial use. One quick swipe of a shirt or cleaning cloth and it is spotless again. That being said the screens are ultra slick, if you leave it on an unlevel night stand on certain materials, you'll find it on the floor in the morning.

Next bit relates to the "orb" wireless charger for the phone. I DON'T recommend it. My personal experience with it is that it slides off the charger and that you have to keep cleaning it for it to effectively stick to it's base. Some people report that theirs sticks too strongly, mine is the opposite and that's how I have the metal frame ding from my bed. Save your money for thehttp://www.tylt.com/vu/it looks to be a solid product for a night stand "grab and go" charger for which is what I had the Orb. Not saying ALL orbs are faulty or bad, it's just, why take the risk for 60$ when you can spend 70 for no risk and an equally as useful charger.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Really enjoying all the hands-free functionality of the S4 so far, keeps my screen a hell of a lot cleaner, I don't think I'm even going to bother with a screen protector. Can answer the phone, scroll web pages(& zoom/magnify), check notifications, etc without ever touching the phone screen. It recognizes hand waves/movement really well about 6 inches above the screen. Although I probably look like a total nutjob waving my hands over my phone while it sits on my desk.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Bought the S View flip cover for the S4. The windows really adds to the functionality. I love how it replaces the back cover. Only real complaint is it's not magnetic. I'll live
smile.png

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
http://www.news.com.au/business/brea...-1226641319565

Samsung claiming 5G will offer Google Fiber-like speeds over the air. Estimating availability in 2020(which might be well before most of us have access to Google Fiber, at the rate it's going)
So I read this:
The South Korean giant says the test has witnessed data transmission of more than one gigabyte per second over a distance of two kilometres.
And automatically think that Verizon will still have a 2GB cap on people's phones. OH SHIT! Data planned just got fubared after 2 seconds!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You won't, but 600 people who are all connected to a cell tower at the same time might.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
So I gave up on hopes of the HTC One on Verizon and went and picked up the S4 yesterday. Haven't had a ton of time to play with it yet, but my limited time has been good so far.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Bought the S View flip cover for the S4. The windows really adds to the functionality. I love how it replaces the back cover. Only real complaint is it's not magnetic. I'll live
smile.png
I need to get a case for mine and I was taking a look at this. The reviews are very mixed on it, with the 2 biggest complaints being the cover not closing (as you allude to since it isn't magnetic), and the cover being in the way when trying to take pictures. For the price of this thing, do you really feel it is worth it? I am torn on what to do.

smile.png

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I need to get a case for mine and I was taking a look at this. The reviews are very mixed on it, with the 2 biggest complaints being the cover not closing (as you allude to since it isn't magnetic), and the cover being in the way when trying to take pictures. For the price of this thing, do you really feel it is worth it? I am torn on what to do.
my spigen neo hybrid case is arriving today. had excellent reviews. I'll post my thoughts today if it would be helpful

Izo

Tranny Chaser
S view flip is a bit too expensive, but I had to test it, and admittedly am a bit ambivalent right now. I was in a hurry to get some screen protection since it's a new phone, supply and demand and such, hardly any accessories available here atm.

I saw a guy at the store with a non-original leather pouch cover that did the same as the s view. Didn't have the chance to test it, only talked to him briefly. I'd probably buy that instead of the s view flip if I could find it where I live. I'm used to an old and smaller HTC Desire shielded by a leather pouch featuring a pull-up strip.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
my spigen neo hybrid case is arriving today. had excellent reviews. I'll post my thoughts today if it would be helpful
Looks like it just makes it an iphone :S - no front glass protection or view usage - and also adds to the thickness on the back. Don't think I like this one so much. Was looking for something that added to the functionality, like the view window. Let us know if it doesn't suck too bad.

Edit:
I've also read the spigen neo has charger / headphone fit problems. Also, what do you do in a charger / car holder when adding more space to the back? I haven't bought any of these yet, but kinda dig the idea that the s view flip doesn't add to the thickness on the back of the phone (replaces cover). I haven't tried the cordless charger kit either, looks interesting also.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I always wonder why phone manufacturers worry about constantly making phones lighter and thinner when people just slap big bulky cases on them anyways. I can't stand putting a case on my phone, just kills the entire aesthetic, no matter which phone it is. Of course, my phone is either in my pocket, or sitting on my desk, so very low risk of damage at any given point.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I always wonder why phone manufacturers worry about constantly making phones lighter and thinner when people just slap big bulky cases on them anyways. I can't stand putting a case on my phone, just kills the entire aesthetic, no matter which phone it is. Of course, my phone is either in my pocket, or sitting on my desk, so very low risk of damage at any given point.
i haven't bothered with a phone case or screen protector since my Treo 650. Never had a problem. Wife on the other hand buys an otterbox BEFORE she even gets the phone (my hand me downs) because she isn't as dexterous.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I agree for the most part. I much prefer my phone without one, but once in a while I will slip and it will fall. Just last weekend I had my phone in my shirt pocket and I bent down to pick something up when I was outside, and it slipped right out. Luckily it was just a few scratches on the outside, but these phones seem so delicate that the glass can break at any time.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Welp, Straight Talk throttled me and said that they couldn't remove the throttle for a month, so I said fuck it and moved to TMO and picked up an HTC One.

This phone is pretty damn amazing. With the wifi calling, it'll actually disable the cell radio to increase battery life. I haven't done a rundown yet, but I'm estimating that I'll get a day or so of regular/heavy use out of it. The screen is absolutely beautiful, and the hardware feels even better than Apple hardware in hand.

Overall I'm quite pleased, and looking forward to the possibility of a Google Experience HTC One coming to market so we can get a proper AOSP kernel and support.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Any recommendations for dealing with poor signal quality? Moved to a new place over the weekend and I'm frequently without a signal. I actually think I get booted down to EDGE for the times I do have a signal. Calls are crappy and will frequently drop just moving upstairs to downstairs.

I have a method using google voice and sip and turning off the cell radio when you're home, but it's a roundabout method that really shouldn't be needed.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Most major cell phone companies offer some sort of device(often free of charge) to boost their cell signal in your home if you are having that many issues. I'm not sure of the exact process, or how many times you have to call tech support to bitch about your signal, but there is a solution. Friend of mine has Sprint, and they offer a device called the Airave.http://now.sprint.com/airave/?ECID=v...aveaccesspoint