Smartphones

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pretty sure I'm making the switch to iPhone. Should be interesting. Just now waiting for the 5s to be back in stock.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Are you switching from Android? I'll be honest, I know a lot of people that have iPhones and like them a lot, but I've never personally known a single person that switched from being a long-time Android user to iOS and liked the change at all. Assuming the Android was something remotely recent, and not some 5 year old phone.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone here using PBXes.org and google voice? Having trouble placing outbound calls via PBXes.org -> Google Voice as of a couple days ago.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Are you switching from Android? I'll be honest, I know a lot of people that have iPhones and like them a lot, but I've never personally known a single person that switched from being a long-time Android user to iOS and liked the change at all. Assuming the Android was something remotely recent, and not some 5 year old phone.
I'm switching from a 2 year old Droid Bionic. To be fair, I probably wouldn't like it without iOS 7 upgrades. iOS 7 finally brings a lot of what android has been doing to the iPhone. I'll have a couple weeks to try it out and will return it if it's not working out for me.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Possibly, but that's my only complaint about most Android phones. You'll basically stop getting official updates from your carrier after about 2 years. I broke my damn S4 and had to go back to using an S2 for a couple months until I can upgrade again, and it blows in comparison. At least it does have android 4.0, but I'd love to get it up to 4.2 without having to root it, but it hasn't had an update in a long while. I don't think the Bionic is much older than the Samsung S2, and it got 4.0 upgrades.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
WTF Apple? This is low, even for them.

http://www.minyanville.com/sectors/t...ahoo&refresh=1

Unfortunately, many users have found that upon upgrading to iOS 7, their trusty third-party cables no longer work.

All thanks to yet another Apple money grub.

First seen in the developer preview of iOS 7, an onscreen message reads, "This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone," when a third-party charger is connected. In the development stages, the pop-up served only as a toothless warning and iOS 7 still allowed the device to charge. However, since iOS 7 was made public, many are now discovering that they're the proud owners of a $16 piece of string.
This isn't really completely new, Apple Lightning chargers/cables have always had a proprietary chip in them, but I guess iOS7 finally makes it a huge pain in the ass to try to use a charger without one of those chips in it.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
WTF Apple? This is low, even for them.

http://www.minyanville.com/sectors/t...ahoo&refresh=1

This isn't really completely new, Apple Lightning chargers/cables have always had a proprietary chip in them, but I guess iOS7 finally makes it a huge pain in the ass to try to use a charger without one of those chips in it.
Shitty charger can start a fire or zap your phone, and if the phone is in warranty, that is money out of apple's pocket. Buy the real one, damn.

The only thing I miss from android were some of the more "gadgety" apps like torque. I can't scan my car with my bluethooth obd2 reader anymore. I'd have to buy a wifi version of the scanner and the app on iphone is like $50 bucks. so F that.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Shitty charger can start a fire or zap your phone, and if the phone is in warranty, that is money out of apple's pocket. Buy the real one, damn.
1081.gif

Saladus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Officially made the jump from android to iOS 2 days ago after 2 years with Android. In the last few months I was ready to throw my Galaxy Nexus out the fucking window. I get that there are some things to consider, such as, well... the phone was two years old. But still, over time, this phone got slower, and slower, and slower. It got to a point where if I used anything but stock keyboard, the keyboard would take at least 10-15 seconds to load. Any time I needed to look something up in the last year, I wouldn't even bother pulling out the phone if I had my ipad nearby instead. Even after a wipe of the phone, it still behaved very slow.

Battery life was another issue, which is a common complaint I see a lot with most Android phones. I've had issues in the past year where if I've gone to a city, I would have to turn the phone OFF completely out of fear of the battery draining for no reason. I realize this is probably better with the newer phones, but battery life was by far my top concern with picking a new phone, by far. If the phone is dead, it doesn't matter what other features it has, because the phone is fucking dead.

How smooth the software behaves is another top concern for me. Like I mentioned before, the galaxy nexus inexplicably became slower and slower over time, whereas my ipad has always been a joy to use for almost two years now. No crashes, other than occasional pages closing on the ipad, and I can simply bring them back up again. The Galaxy Nexus over time became slow, would crash sometimes completely when I needed to make calls, etc. I've toyed around with the better android phones available, and there's STILL some lag when scrolling and opening pages.

I realize I'm comparing apples to oranges here with a tablet vs a phone, but it made me realize how important the phone is to me and how smooth I need it to behave. I do like android a lot, but iOS has never let me down for what I need to do. And no, I don't want to root a phone and load a rom to get my phone working at its peak. Why should I have to? I bought the phone, shouldn't it already be working at its peak? It's like buying a console and being told "Yea, it works pretty well, but you really have to fiddle with it and constantly toggle settings to get the games working the best." I really don't feel like going through that, not after my experience with my phone for the past two years.

A last reason I switched was because of how fucking long it took to get updates for my phone, if ever. And that's more the fault of my carrier, fucking verizon. Still, it's irritating to have to deal with those waits when you know there's a better update available for your phone but it's being held back.

So yea, experimenting with iOS for the next two years. There's stuff about android I loved and I know I will miss, mainly google All Access. The integration of your own music and music you add from their catalogue is amazing, and they seem in no rush to make an app for ios. If I feel like I've made a terrible mistake in two years, no biggy, I'm sure android will have some very drool-worthy phones out in 2015.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
A big reason for phones to slow down is because of electrical issues coming from the charger. Either the charger takes a zap from the wall, or while the phone is charging it takes a zap from the wall. A good way to avoid this is to always use an official charger, and to use a surge protector or better yet an online ups.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm sure you guys love gaming on those quality 3rd party mad katz controllers because they were SO quality.
First-party chargers and cables are on par with buying gold-plated Monster HDMI cables. Total waste of money. I've got a ton of cheap chargers all over my house and in my cars, have never had a single problem with any of them(all Android/micro USB though). Probably spent about the same on a half dozen off-brand chargers and cords as I would have spent on 1 manufacturers version. GG Monoprice.com. Been using them for years with no issues, across my HTC Evo, Samsung S2, S3 and S4, as well as my Nexus 7 tablet. No electrical/battery problems ever with any of them.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
First-party chargers and cables are on par with buying gold-plated Monster HDMI cables. Total waste of money. I've got a ton of cheap chargers all over my house and in my cars, have never had a single problem with any of them(all Android/micro USB though). Probably spent about the same on a half dozen off-brand chargers and cords as I would have spent on 1 manufacturers version. GG Monoprice.com
I bought one from walgreens and it slowly killed my first razr, got a replacement and threw it out. I thought it would be cool to have chargers in every room.
You can easily google the fires caused by shit chargers that have literally zero quality control.

This is true for all electronics. I have a lot of cool shit i dont want fried, think im going to just plug it straight in to the wall or use the cheapest shit they got to protect my investments. Nah dawg.

You shouldn't either. But I've said enough,if you disagree thats fine. I wont say anything, ill just get some popcorn, come to this thread and read all the "wtf happend to my phone i never even dropped it or got it wet".

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
A big reason for phones to slow down is because of electrical issues coming from the charger. Either the charger takes a zap from the wall, or while the phone is charging it takes a zap from the wall. A good way to avoid this is to always use an official charger, and to use a surge protector or better yet an online ups.
Is this guy for fucking real?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You didn't know that everytime you charge your phone with an off-brand charger, that you permanently lose 1% of your CPU power? It's a fact.