Smartphones

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Meanwhile in China?

692.gif

Maybe I should always get my oil changed at the dealership, too?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
A big reason for phones to slow down is because of electrical issues coming from the charger. Either the charger takes a zap from the wall, or while the phone is charging it takes a zap from the wall. A good way to avoid this is to always use an official charger, and to use a surge protector or better yet an online ups.
Serious question(because I know Warhead is trolling): can the typical usb wire handle the wattage required to stop a heart? I would think the wires would burn out long before human heart.

As for the Galaxy Nexus getting slow: probably shitty NAND.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Are you two trying to say it didn't happen?

Are you trying to say that third party chargers are available only in China so no way could you be at that risk here? Come on now.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Nah, I'm not saying it didn't happen. It's more that I'd like it explained how that would happen given how relatively resistive the human body is(with no sneakers, it takes about 20V to arc from hand to foot) and how much wattage a usb wire can handle.

Also, China.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I put that on China and it's non-existent safety regulations. I'm sure the wiring in the ladies house was top-notch. For fucks sake, that country still hasn't outlawed asbestos in building materials.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Serious question(because I know Warhead is trolling): can the typical usb wire handle the wattage required to stop a heart? I would think the wires would burn out long before human heart.

As for the Galaxy Nexus getting slow: probably shitty NAND.
Most of the time when you get electrocuted it's not that the electricty "burns out" your heart. If the power is AC, it causes heart fibrillation. The frequency of AC power is 60 Hz which is about 10 times the average frequency of your heart, which is a problem because it's slow enough that your heart cells can react to it but fast enough that they can't keep up so they all start going crazy which is known as fibrillation. It would take a lot of power to actually fry you, but not a lot to put your heart into fibrillation. This is why fuses and breakers don't protect you from electrocution. It takes way less current to kill you than it does to run your toaster.

That was part of the whole Edison Vs. Tesla AC vs. DC power debate. Edison was electrocuting animals to prove how much more dangerous AC is than DC because with DC you actually have to have enough current to burn your insides and not just enough to make your heart flip out like AC.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
Deathwing, I don't know where we got started wrong, but your avatar gives you charisma and I am apparently weak to it. Please stop hatin bro, im just tellin truths up in here. Its not like im telling you fabricated shit.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the info, Brutal. So, yes, I'll concede possible. But still...China.

Warhead, here's your chance. Explain to me how power surges can marginally damage a phone. Keep in mind that I'm an electrical engineer, so you can be as detailed as you want to be.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah not buying that as the excuse. The charger should only allow so much through it before it blows an internal fuse. These 3rd party ones don't. They let it all through and too much. Sure China, but that goes for any faulty outlet. Apple is making the right call locking their device to their chargers. It saves them lawsuits for things not their fault but hard to prove that way.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Why don't more companies do that then? Is Apple's charger design more susceptible shocking users than a typical brick?

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord

Warhead, here's your chance. Explain to me how power surges can marginally damage a phone. Keep in mind that I'm an electrical engineer, so you can be as detailed as you want to be.
Well, uh, are you saying grid power is perfect, and the generators and power conditioners NASA uses are snake oil? I'd love to save some money, and you seem to know better. Enlighten me oh great and powerful Electrical Engineer.

Hold on, let me call APC, let em know they're useless and they can go ahead and shut the doors and move out.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Warhead, you pulled out too early. This trolling had at least a couple more back and forths.

You don't want to bring up something even quasi-related? Here, I'll give you an example: power surges can exacerbate the electron tunneling problems found in today's increasingly smaller and smaller transistors.

Your homework is to find out if anything I just said was true.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
Warhead, you pulled out too early. This trolling had at least a couple more back and forths.

You don't want to bring up something even quasi-related? Here, I'll give you an example: power surges can exacerbate the electron tunneling problems found in today's increasingly smaller and smaller transistors.

Your homework is to find out if anything I just said was true.
I'm comfortable with what I know Deathwing. I'm not trolling in the least. It seems you are
wink.png
. Well played. Clue me in next time I thought you were serious.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I am serious. Just like I was serious about finding out how the small amount of wattage a usb wire can deliver can still stop a heart. Brutul provided said info, much appreciated.

You, however, have brought up nothing that would indicate how power surges would slow down a CPU. Burden of proof is on you. And using surge protectors and power conditioners as evidence that power surges can cause ubiquitous damage is like equating condoms as proof of venereal disease.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Let me triple the voltage on my haswell, it'll be fine right?
biggrin.png
Yeah, you don't know what you're talking about. You really think a power surge through the charging/microusb port is going to cause even the slightest blip on vcore? Do you know how many safeties and different components a surge would have to go through before it got anywhere near the cpu?

Let me put it this way, if a power surge is affecting your vcore, SO much other shit in your phone is going to be fucked anyway.

a_skeleton_03, not yet, sorry. Busy falling for a troll
frown.png