Smartphones

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
-edited for happiness-

Irony example 1000: stating that the people in this thread aren't qualified to talk about technology when you think knock-off Iphone cables destroy your phone and there's an electrical engineer in this thread to tell you otherwise.
To be completely fair faulty cables might slightly damage your battery. Just a tiny bit. But that's nothing compared to just using the battery will do to shorten its capacity.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was happy to figure out that there are apps out there that will let me still use Google Music. Even though I'm switching to the iPhone, I'm not 100% ready to adopt iTunes as well. Although I think for apps, and otherwise, I'll have to bite the bullet, because isn't the App Store through iTunes?

I had narrowed my decision down to the iPhone or Samsung Note 3. Went with the iPhone because I wanted something new, and don't see a need for that big of a screen, even though it'd be kind of nice.

Tarrant, I'll be looking forward to your reviews when you finally get your Note 3!

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Tarrant, I'll be looking forward to your reviews when you finally get your Note 3!
Friday the 4th can't come soon enough!
biggrin.png

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
my iPhone 4 is over three years old now. I am debating getting the 5S just because I'm used to the iPhone... but I don't know.

Vaclav

So.... opinions on the current top of the line Androids from folks:

Looking at Samsung Note 3, Samsung GS4, or LG G2 as possibles going from a Galaxy Nexus - I know all will be a huuuuuuge step up from the GNex but opinions of pros and cons to each?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
To be completely fair faulty cables might slightly damage your battery. Just a tiny bit. But that's nothing compared to just using the battery will do to shorten its capacity.
Those faulty cables are going to zip zap zoobity 7000 GW into your phone and catch your entire city on fire

Crone

Just picked up the iPhone 5s and I have to admit it's damn amazing. Convinced the wife to upgrade as well and we are both loving it!

Neki

Molten Core Raider

Looking at Samsung Note 3, Samsung GS4, or LG G2 as possibles going from a Galaxy Nexus - I know all will be a huuuuuuge step up from the GNex but opinions of pros and cons to each?
I know you are using the Nexus 4 but how about waiting another couple of weeks for the Nexus 5? Seems like it's going to blow all of those out of the water

T3 - Google Nexus 5 equals iPhone 5s in benchmark test

The Google Nexus 5 is as powerful as the Apple iPhone 5s according to a recently published benchmarking test.

The unannounced ? but widely leaked ? phone appeared in a benchmarking test. Other phones tested included the Sony Xperia Z1, LG G2, Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC One and the Apple iPhone 5.

The benchmarking test does not give details of the specs that the Nexus 5 comes with. It was published by GFXbench.

However, seeing as it beat every other smartphone ? some by a large margin ? it is reasonable to believe it will come with a Snapdragon 800 processor and an Adreno 330 GPU at a minimum.

It is also possible it will come with 3GB of RAM. Previous rumours have suggested it may only come with 2GB of RAM.

Perhaps as impressive as it matching the iPhone 5s is that in the Egypt 2.5 test, the Nexus 5 achieved 58 frames per second ? a figure you?d expect from a full sized computer.

By comparison, the Apple iPhone 5s achieved a frame rate of 56.7 in the same test.

Google is rumoured to be unveiling the Google Nexus 5 at an event on October 14th.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Phone benchmark tests are hilarious, especially when they compare the results to a "full sized computer".

opiate82

Bronze Squire

Of that lineup I would go G2 personally. The button-on-the-back thing seems a little weird at first but from what I understand once you get use to the 'double-tap-to-wake' feature you hardly ever need to use the physical buttons anymore and furthermore when you use phones that don't have tap-to-wake, they feel awkward to deal with once you are use to the G2.

I'm not a huge fan of the feel of the Samsung phones, but that is just a personal preference.

Vaclav

Actually got one more to ask on too - Moto X? (Besides the color crap - although the wife is obsessing over that) The "light power usage" notification thing sounds damn cool. Also would feel nice to have an American made piece of tech in theory.

And do they have a provider list/release date on Nexus 5 yet? Sounded super vague for a Oct launch last time I checked a week or so ago. (I do prefer Nexii - as should be evidenced by his and hers GNex and NexS)

Neki

Molten Core Raider
I think the chances are very high that the Nexus 5 is coming out very soon. The Nexus 4 was released in November last year and I expect Google to give the same time frame for the 5 too.

Vaclav

Nod, I know the theorycrafting that people expect - I'm just used to knowing absolutes early but now that my sister-in-law isn't with Google anymore I can't just batphone it, heh. (Not that she ever got us a discount on them though... grumble... of course technically Google only has owned Motorola of the companies thusfar so not sure she could've)

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm

It's not on your list, but I'm pretty stoked with the Motorola X phone so far. There are very few things that have shown any kind of frame dropping from the UI that I didn't see in my HTC One, and I'm getting a full day and change in battery life. I have to say that it's likely the best feeling phone that I've held in a very long time.

Vaclav

Had it in my update had forgotten in the initial - really think waiting through Oct for seeing N5 hands on is a must at this point though.