Smartphones

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I don't give Google Now enough props. Mrs Adebisi sent me an email with her flight itinerary so I could track when she arrived at the airport to pick her up. Google Now automatically put the flight schedule into my notifications.

Well done, Google Now.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Yeah, Google Now has been doing that for quite some time. It also puts in "home" and relays traffic information. Love that shit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I remember when google was first just a search engine telling people that google would take over the world... No one believed me

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I remember when google was first just a search engine telling people that google would take over the world... No one believed me
I used AltaVista in the early internet years.

http://hothardware.com/News/EU-Votes...ndard-Charger/

EU trying to standardize cell phone charging cables. It's still has a long way to go to become EU law but Apple can't be too happy about this.
Wow. Overstep much? Gotta love the government making technology decisions for you.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Like the government can figure out the advanced charging algorithms that Apple incorporates into their proprietary cables!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
my iPhone 4 is over three years old now. I am debating getting the 5S just because I'm used to the iPhone... but I don't know.
Do it. Just do it. I just switched to the 5s after being an Android user from the beginning and I love it. Absolutely love it.

Once you go Mac, you never go back?

Vaclav

Wow. Overstep much? Gotta love the government making technology decisions for you.
Doesn't the EU government in alot of places offer free charging station setups though? So there would be a reasonable reason right there. Of course they could just decide to only support one at the charging stations without trying to force them with such first as well.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
No. Fuck that.

What if next year Samsung makes a proprietary charger that chargers your phone from zero to full in 5 seconds?

EU SAYS NO!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
No. Fuck that.

What if next year Samsung makes a proprietary charger that chargers your phone from zero to full in 5 seconds?

EU SAYS NO!
Then that's fine (although not going to happen). They're trying to standardize the actual cable itself. Most likely microUSB to USB (which makes sense). The problem is Apple being fucking retarded and using these proprietary LIGHTNING connectors just so they can charge more. Whatever the charging unit actually does is up to the company. Although I can guarantee you won't see a 0->5 second charger any time soon.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Then fuck this shit, hit me up with multiple mothafuckin diodes and capacitors and resistors and shit and give me more amps. GIGA AMPS

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Then that's fine (although not going to happen). They're trying to standardize the actual cable itself. Most likely microUSB to USB (which makes sense). The problem is Apple being fucking retarded and using these proprietary LIGHTNING connectors just so they can charge more. Whatever the charging unit actually does is up to the company. Although I can guarantee you won't see a 0->5 second charger any time soon.
Ultracapacitors!

What do you mean you don't want your phone to be the size and weight of a brick?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Phones bigger and heavier than your dreams!

rrr_img_44806.jpg

Crone

Then fuck this shit, hit me up with multiple mothafuckin diodes and capacitors and resistors and shit and give me more amps. GIGA AMPS
Lol, this made me laugh.

A quick note regarding browsers. Now that I've had a few days to use safari, I don't think it's terrible I just don't think I know how to use it very well.

Are there tabs? Without a settings button like I'm used to I just haven't figured everything out yet. Did see chrome in the App Store so might just go with that?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just use chrome, the only time you use safari is when you open something from your mail and it opens in safari and you get a little pissed but you're too lazy to copy the URL over to chrome.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone here use Straight Talk? Thinking about switching off my VZW plan and buying an ATT sim. I know that won't fix the coverage hole at my house, but at least I'll be paying less for something I'm not receiving. And yes, I know Straight Talk does VZW now, but VZW won't allow any 4G devices on their network...so, no smart phone from the last two years.

Anyway, I've read that the customer service side of Straight Talk is pretty horrible. If you know what you're doing, do you need to even interact with that part? What are the fees/taxes on top of the $45/month? Lastly, have you been throttled? I'm not too worried about being throttled, the wife and I use ~0.5GB/month combined.