Smartphones

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Thoroughly loving the Note 3 after having it for a weekend. Perfect size for my hand, I can still hold it with one hand and reach my thumb anywhere needed, even swiping the notifications down from the top of the screen. Alternately, there's no way my wife could use this thing 1-handed, it's way too big for her. After using my Note 3 for a little bit, she's definitely decided on sticking with the Galaxy line of phones, her S3 fits her perfectly.

The battery is pretty solid, I don't know that it's significantly better than my old S4 though. Seems like through a normal day of usage, either phone was at 30-40% left at the end of the day, with gaming draining it much, much faster. I guess it's all relative, larger battery + larger screen = roughly same amount of usage.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Those poor lonely Blackberry using facebook friends are asking me to use BBM.

lolololololololololol

Why don't I start chatting on ICQ while I'm at it. Brb gotta download Netscape and start a GeoCities page.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Is there another universal, free, OS independent instant messaging program out there that's as good though? Don't get me wrong, I haven't used BBM since I dropped my Torch last year, but I kind of miss being able to IM racist memes to my group of friends back when everyone had a BB.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is there another universal, free, OS independent instant messaging program out there that's as good though? Don't get me wrong, I haven't used BBM since I dropped my Torch last year, but I kind of miss being able to IM racist memes to my group of friends back when everyone had a BB.
WhatsApp, WeChat

GroupMe is another one

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Man, the battery in the Note 3 is just an absolute beast:
rrr_img_47795.png

Didn't use my phone a ton today, was on a couple calls for a total of about ~45 minutes, probably did 30-45 mins of web browsing, and took 20-30 pictures(which auto-upload to dropbox), sent a couple texts and a handful of emails.

The phone loses next to nothing while just idling. I wouldn't be surprised to see this thing able to idle for 100+ hours without going dead. Just kinda guessing off of the figures in the picture...I only lost maybe 5-6% of the battery over 16 hours from idling. Most phones I've had in the past, I'd be lucky if I only lost double that % of battery in 16 hours.

Siliconemelons

I am a WebOS Fanboy so I aint sucking BB's balls or anything, but reading everything there is... BBM is better in WhatsApp if even just for security reasons.

And its kind-of like MMO's now days- whatever just happens to have the most of your friends playing wins, forget features etc- so BBM is huge, best to use it! ;-P

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I have about 3 friends who own blackberry phones. The only reason these people think BBM is the best is because it's the only option they really have.

Security? Are we all texting our dark secrets these days? Who the fuck cares.

Edit:

People just think BBM is good because it's the ONLY BB feature BB users talk about. "I can't give up my BB! I love BBM!". So these uneducated iPhone and Android users just assume that it's this magic app that has the power to keep people using the shittiest phone on the market.

Siliconemelons

BB10 is actually quite nice... not as nice as WebOS - but its way better functionally than iOS and depending on your taste Android.

But I only feel this way because of the three, BB10, iOS7 and Android- BB10 is closest to WebOS in its multitasking and home screen operation and gesture based operation- I am unashamed of my love for WebOS and my old, litterally falling apart Pre3- every time my kid grabs the thing and tosses it across the room and breaks yet another part of it my wife goes "Yes! break! damn you! break!" so I can get a new phone...but the thing keeps hanging in there! no front bezel and the back case barely snaps on, but its fully functional!

BBM does have some nice features- and honestly its move to andorid and ios is a ploy to increase that "part" of BlackBerry the companys value as they attempt to sell it off peice by peice rather than all at once. But it still is more secure, for all your obama care bashing needs.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
How does the 5c compare to the 5 or 5s as far as a wife phone? Price wise they're, almost, the same here in Europe - launch yesterday.

I hear the 5c is on sale in the states as no one wants it?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
5C is a hundred bucks cheaper in the states with a 2 year contract. Slower processor, worse camera, plastic... it's basically an iPhone 5 but plastic from what I remember reading.

I've heard the same that it is not selling at all.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Or another way to put it is: newer generation processor than the original 5 had, camera is the exact same as 5s (it's the flash that's slightly different) and the plastic back actually makes the phone more durable than the old 5 was. Why pay more for a thumbprint scanner that doesn't work through most cases? We sell them in my shop easily 3x more than the 5s. then again, we sell more S4's than all iPhones combined, and the G2/HTC One are almost on par with the S4 in terms of sales. I'm just left so confused why people still cling to their iPhones. Facetime? AppleTV?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I don't know, man. Mythical creatures wants them? They're called women
biggrin.png
All that matters to them is that it goes well with their shoes and shit. It's an accessory to them afaik.

Can you change the 5c color?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's been rumored that the nexus 5 will be released at the end of the month. Additionally, an LTE version of the nexus 4 is speculated due to some recent FCC filing.

Which would you buy? Assuming the 4 stays at $200 and the 5 is $350. I might go with the cheaper one, just worried about the glass back. Any other well known problems with the 4?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Or another way to put it is: newer generation processor than the original 5 had, camera is the exact same as 5s (it's the flash that's slightly different) and the plastic back actually makes the phone more durable than the old 5 was. Why pay more for a thumbprint scanner that doesn't work through most cases? We sell them in my shop easily 3x more than the 5s. then again, we sell more S4's than all iPhones combined, and the G2/HTC One are almost on par with the S4 in terms of sales. I'm just left so confused why people still cling to their iPhones. Facetime? AppleTV?
I'm pretty sure the 5c has the exact same processor as the 5. 5c is also larger (same screen size) and weighs more. 5c has slightly better camera and bigger battery, but poly case instead of aluminum.