Smartphones

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Definitely liking it. It's a lot more snappy and games and apps don't lag like they did on cm11. I admit to missing a lot of the options that CM had but oh well. Hopefully the OP team can bring some of those to Oxygen OS.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Earlier this year I decided to take a challenge from a housemate who is incredibly entrenched in the iOS ecosystem. I took three months and set aside every Android device I had and replaced them with comparable iOS counterparts.

My Nexus 5 was replaced with an iPhone 6, and my 2013 Nexus 7 was replaced with an iPad Mini with Retina display (2nd gen).

I tried to adapt to the workflow with iOS, and after these three months, I'm anxiously waiting to sell my iPhone 6 and replace it with a Nexus 5 or similar device. Here's a list of my major gripes with the iPhone, and how it compares to the Nexus 5.

- While the iPhone 6 is a beautiful device, it is one of the first that I've felt compelled to put it in a case immediately after purchase. Not even my M7 gave me that much worry upon opening the box. Compare this to the soft touch plastic that LG used on the N5, and I'll stick with the trusty N5 every time.

- NFC - Who the fuck at Apple thought that not allowing standard NDEF tags to be used on iOS was a good idea? Not being able to simply tap my phone to my BT adapter in my car to pair it was aggravating on a flagship device. I don't want to have to give out my WiFi password, instead I can just put an NFC sticker in my kitchen, and if people want to connect, they can easily tap their devices and I don't have to type it in for them.

- Bluetooth - Even after pairing my device to my car, it never seemed to handshake with my BT adapter with any regularity. While it isn't a huge pain, unlocking my phone, navigating to the BT menu and selecting connect gets old VERY quickly after having every other device work without so much as a hiccup. Additionally, this has been unable to keep a connection with my Moto Connect keyfob. When going into the Moto Connect app, it will always find and pair, but soon after it will drop the connection. Maybe there is some kind of sleep timer in the BT stack in iOS, but it sure as shit doesn't stay connected to any of my devices. I never once had these issues with the Nexus 5.

- Workflow - iOS just now getting into handing off links to other apps is just sad at this day. That I can't always select Chrome as my default browser and have every link just open to that app is confusing from my point of view. I constantly feel like I'm fighting the OS instead of it smoothly working for me. Why does it take so many taps just to reach the BT menu, when on Android I just have to long press the toggle for it? Gone are the days of Android feeling "clunky" in comparison to iOS. With the last few revisions to iOS, it feels like they are regressing instead of creating a compelling and enjoyable user experience.

TL;DR - I'm glad to be able to sell this iPhone. I wanted to feel like it was the best thing in the world since sliced bread, but damn, I feel like I got a very well engineered turd instead.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'd probably be happy with a phone at 1/4th the battery life but charged up in 60 seconds. It would just make my iPhone 6 last 4 hours or so.
Thats actually a really good point I didn't think of. I would make that trade off also.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
60 seconds over 7500 cycles, if I'm understanding it correctly, is a total game changer

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's a capacitor, not a battery,
First, the cells can only muster 2 volts across their electrodes-just over 50 percent of the voltage that li-on batteries can provide. Nor do they pack energy into themselves as efficiently, managing to store just 40 watts of electricity per kilogram, compared to 200 or so for li-on batteries.
Sounds more like 1/10th of current capacity (double it up in series to provide double the same voltage, and then x5 to get the same storage). (reddit says it's a capacitor, not really a battery)

Yes, it may not lose it's ability to hold a charge for 7,500 cycles, but a phone that is as big as Zach Morris Or only lasts for 1 hour of use with current sized iphones, is not going to be popular.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
- While the iPhone 6 is a beautiful device, it is one of the first that I've felt compelled to put it in a case immediately after purchase. Not even my M7 gave me that much worry upon opening the box. Compare this to the soft touch plastic that LG used on the N5, and I'll stick with the trusty N5 every time.

- NFC - Who the fuck at Apple thought that not allowing standard NDEF tags to be used on iOS was a good idea? Not being able to simply tap my phone to my BT adapter in my car to pair it was aggravating on a flagship device. I don't want to have to give out my WiFi password, instead I can just put an NFC sticker in my kitchen, and if people want to connect, they can easily tap their devices and I don't have to type it in for them.

- Bluetooth - Even after pairing my device to my car, it never seemed to handshake with my BT adapter with any regularity. While it isn't a huge pain, unlocking my phone, navigating to the BT menu and selecting connect gets old VERY quickly after having every other device work without so much as a hiccup. Additionally, this has been unable to keep a connection with my Moto Connect keyfob. When going into the Moto Connect app, it will always find and pair, but soon after it will drop the connection. Maybe there is some kind of sleep timer in the BT stack in iOS, but it sure as shit doesn't stay connected to any of my devices. I never once had these issues with the Nexus 5.

- Workflow - iOS just now getting into handing off links to other apps is just sad at this day. That I can't always select Chrome as my default browser and have every link just open to that app is confusing from my point of view. I constantly feel like I'm fighting the OS instead of it smoothly working for me. Why does it take so many taps just to reach the BT menu, when on Android I just have to long press the toggle for it? Gone are the days of Android feeling "clunky" in comparison to iOS. With the last few revisions to iOS, it feels like they are regressing instead of creating a compelling and enjoyable user experience.

TL;DR - I'm glad to be able to sell this iPhone. I wanted to feel like it was the best thing in the world since sliced bread, but damn, I feel like I got a very well engineered turd instead.
Interesting. The iPhone is probably so popular because of people like me that doesn't use hardly any of what you are talking about, or doesn't find it to be a problem. My rebuttals from my point of view:

Not much to be said about case or no case. Valid point, but still pretty weak shot against the iPhone. I have a case on my iPhone so the odd time I may drop it, it doesn't get destroyed or scuffed. My case is minimal, and I would do the same with the 6.

NFC: While I know what NFC is, I've never used it in my life. People aren't coming over to my house and jonsing for my wifi. If they are I'll spend the 2 seconds to give them the password. NFC tags are pretty cool piece of technology, but I would venture to guess you are in a very small minority of people that even use them, let alone know what they are.

Bluetooth: I have 1 BTdevice, and it pairs easily with my iPhone. BT earbuds. I turn them on at the gym, instantly pairs to my iPhone, I turn them off when done. No problems. Why is your car not pairing instantly? My BT earbuds do it just fine, and I never have to go into my Bluetooth settings to manually connect.

Workflow: Jailbreak your iOS and you can set your default apps to whatever you want. Ohhh, but why should I have to do jailbreak to have the functionality? I don't know, the same reason the rooting community for Android is so huge, because it gives additonal functionality you didn't have before? Look at the OPO? All you do on that thing is load new mods onto it until you find one you like. This type of thing isn't new to fix quirky problems.

To each their own I suppose. This wasn't your own personal experience, was it? Either way, it was a very unique set of problems that I think are pretty weak, or have solutions. Sounds like the person wasn't gonna be happy on iOS regardless of what happened. Oh well.

Tenks

Yeah I've never had issues with my iPhone5 and hooking up to the BT stereo in the car

Mageling

Interesting. The iPhone is probably so popular because of people like me that doesn't use hardly any of what you are talking about...
I'd agree there. I worked for a company that focused on NFC deployments within advertising and it has been quite hard to just drop a tool that has some pretty decent use cases for me personally.

Not much to be said about case or no case. Valid point, but still pretty weak shot against the iPhone. I have a case on my iPhone so the odd time I may drop it, it doesn't get destroyed or scuffed. My case is minimal, and I would do the same with the 6.[/QUOTE]

I've dropped my Nexus 5 several times, though never onto pavement, and never had more than a small scratch on it. Maybe its the premium build quality of the iPhone over most other devices? Either way I'd be much less afraid of dropping a $350 Nexus 5 over a $750 iPhone. I don't mean to imply that the iPhone is a terrible device; quite the opposite. The iPhone has the best build quality on the market, but I can't help but be afraid of breaking it or having it slip from my hands if I don't have it in a case.

NFC: While I know what NFC is, I've never used it in my life. People aren't coming over to my house and jonsing for my wifi. If they are I'll spend the 2 seconds to give them the password. NFC tags are pretty cool piece of technology, but I would venture to guess you are in a very small minority of people that even use them, let alone know what they are.
I tend to cycle through WiFi passwords every 3 months, and generate them with KeePass. Is this a hassle? Possibly, but I tend to take things within my home network a little more serious than most people. Being able to quickly give out my contact information, including email and social media links over an NFC tag I have in my wallet is pretty excellent as well, as it assures they never mistype, and I can quickly do that while working on other things and not get distracted.

NFC is also the tech behind all of the mobile payment systems. Having Apple wall off usage of standard NFC records is confusing to say the least, considering there is an industry standard around each type of NDEF record. I think that Apple truly dropped the ball here by closing off usage of NFC to people.

Bluetooth: I have 1 BTdevice, and it pairs easily with my iPhone. BT earbuds. I turn them on at the gym, instantly pairs to my iPhone, I turn them off when done. No problems. Why is your car not pairing instantly? My BT earbuds do it just fine, and I never have to go into my Bluetooth settings to manually connect.
I have to say I'm jealous of your luck. I've been unable to automatically connect to three different BT car adapters that have worked with every device, my JayBirds headset, and my Motorola Keylink. I've had them replace my phone once already, and a friend of mine who has the same car adapter and Moto Keylink has the same problem, when we've never seen this with any of the Android devices we've used. While this is a small hassle, I wish it were something I didn't have to do every time I got in my car, since I'd become accustomed to BT connecting automatically and starting to play my music.

Workflow: Jailbreak your iOS and you can set your default apps to whatever you want. Ohhh, but why should I have to do jailbreak to have the functionality? I don't know, the same reason the rooting community for Android is so huge, because it gives additonal functionality you didn't have before? Look at the OPO? All you do on that thing is load new mods onto it until you find one you like. This type of thing isn't new to fix quirky problems.
I'm currently on 8.1.2 jailbroken, but there are things like Reddit apps that don't gracefully hand off to another application when trying to share a link. I can't use Hangouts as my primary share app, and that's what I use to talk to 90% of my friends. Heck, even FB Messenger isn't a standard app to hand off links to share. I don't understand why this isn't a feature. Having to open a link in Safari/Chrome, then copy the address, open Hangouts, then send the link? That's just terrible workflow. If you know of any apps that fully open the "Share" function to other apps, I'd love to hear about it, since that's likely the largest frustration I have with the iPhone.

I've been pretty happy with Android 5.0 so far, and haven't had any dire needs to root it. I can set icons where I want, set any default application I want, and my entrenchment within Google services (GMail, Hangouts, Google Now, Chromecast Casting, Google Maps, and Play Music) means that I have a better user experience than on iOS. That doesn't surprise me, but there are no other compelling services put out by Apple that have as many features as Google. Overall, Google has really hit it out of the park with Android 5.0, aside the few bugs here and there, none of which really affected me.

To each their own I suppose. This wasn't your own personal experience, was it? Either way, it was a very unique set of problems that I think are pretty weak, or have solutions. Sounds like the person wasn't gonna be happy on iOS regardless of what happened. Oh well.
This has been the experience of a few people. One of them is staying with iOS after moving from WP8, but myself and another friend are ditching the iPhone to head on back to Android. It seems your experience has been different. I think this is great, as having competition within the mobile market is what will encourage growth and feature development in new devices. Personally I'd rather have a 1 1/2 year old Nexus 5 over any type of iPhone when I look at the current state of things.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For bluetooth, I have no idea if my earbuds, if left on, would automatically connect if I got in range, which it sounds like your situation is trying to do? Get close to your car, and it auto connects?

If I had your situation, I would be switching as well. There is no doubt about it. I'm similar in that while I have an iPhone I use nearly all Google apps. However all my communication is through text or phone call, not Hangouts. Don't even use Hangouts. I don't post on reddit from my phone, or need to copy links, don't have Chromecast, and Google Maps and Play music work just fine.

Being that entrenched into Google apps though like you are makes sense you would go with Android.

Oh, and another thing on links. I only ever clicked links outta text messages, and it handles that perfectly fine. Opens in Google Maps or Chrome flawlessly every time.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think it can be said fairly objectively that Android is more polished and complete than IOS at this point. The advantages of the iPhone now are build quality/design/aesthetics, the "cool factor" that it is a bit of a fashion statement, and the camera which Android has not been able to compete on although Samsung might have finally caught up with the S6. Also, if you are into gaming on your phone the iPhone has a considerably better app lineup or so I am told since the only mobile game I play is Kingdom Rush.

Android's advantages are the general usability of the OS, particularly how well integrated the google ecosystem is, the fact that there are many options for devices and you have more ability to customize it, and most important, that you don't have to be another apple sheep.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah it seems like most companies always put out their iPhone apps first and then android gets an inferior release later on. That kinda bugs me but oh well, I need variety. I spend all day on a mac 'cause of the terminal so kinda want something different for a phone. Don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Biggest disadvantage for me for android that you didn't mention is fragmentation and updates.

I don't really have to worry about updates going through the device manufacturer, or whether it will get updated at all.

I have an iPhone but my next phone won't be one

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
The biggest issues I had with Android were battery life and OS updates were almost nonexistent.