Smartphones

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I played with the s6 and edge today at best buy. Not bad but I definitely don't like the edge. Messes with my eyes some on the edges and I'm pretty sure it's going to dislike drops even more with that curved screen.

Regular version is nice but the one I played with had a premium bezel/edge but the back was black plastic. Didn't look right to me.

I'll be getting the updated one plus regardless or international note 5. Wife is going to inherit my one plus.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have this perpetual problem with smartphone buying where I am always gun shy as I expect the moment I purchase one the new wave will come out. The closest I have gotten recently was the 64gb OnePlus One. However, rumors of the OnePlus Two or whatever they will call it have me hesitating again. You will have to post how it is working out for you after a week or so.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I played with the s6 and edge today at best buy. Not bad but I definitely don't like the edge. Messes with my eyes some on the edges and I'm pretty sure it's going to dislike drops even more with that curved screen.

Regular version is nice but the one I played with had a premium bezel/edge but the back was black plastic. Didn't look right to me.

I'll be getting the updated one plus regardless or international note 5. Wife is going to inherit my one plus.
Yea, I had some hands-on with both the S6 and S6 Edge and felt the exact same way. Feels like you just lose screen real estate with it wrapping around the edge for no damn reason. If I had to choose one, I would have picked the normal S6. As I said earlier in the thread though, I have no reason to downgrade features from my S5.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Finally got my Note Edge today, after a tremendous amount of hassle that isn't worth going into. I'll have to mess with it more to see if the edge part is actually worth a shit, but it was new and shiny so I got it. I could be missing out on real estate, but the screen is big enough that I don't feel like I am. It is gorgeous of course, and fast, but just about every phone is now. I haven't accidentally hit the edge yet, and it seems like it won't be a major problem, but I can see if you aren't careful when you pick it up that it could be annoying to have a new app open because you hit it.

I don't know that I gained any funtionality over the Note 4, but I do like having the notifications pop up on the side instead of the main screen. I haven't configured much except for a couple of apps on that edge, so I'm sure there is a lot more I could be doing with it.

The real test will be playing Summoners War for an extended time tonight and seeing if the phone wants to melt through the table. The two HTC One M8s I had both got nuclear levels of hot, which might have contributed to their demise. Oh, and most importantly, I got my fucking multi-colored notification lights back! Fuck you HTC!

Lenaldo

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ended up getting an edge and the wife got a normal s6. I like the way the edge feels in my hand... Dunno.. Its a cool concept and figured it was worth messing around with. If I was under a budget i wouldn't drop the extra 100... But 100 bucks isn't too bad for a cool gimmick!

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Ended up getting an edge and the wife got a normal s6. I like the way the edge feels in my hand... Dunno.. Its a cool concept and figured it was worth messing around with. If I was under a budget i wouldn't drop the extra 100... But 100 bucks isn't too bad for a cool gimmick!
does the edge screen on the S6 even allow for the notification strip like on the note 4 edge? Or is it simply just a curved screen?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think I heard somewhere that the edge strip will change colors based on notifications kind of like the multicolor notification LEDs but it can be seen while the phone is lying face down. Not exactly a game changer, but it is one tiny use for it aside from aesthetics.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think I heard somewhere that the edge strip will change colors based on notifications kind of like the multicolor notification LEDs but it can be seen while the phone is lying face down. Not exactly a game changer, but it is one tiny use for it aside from aesthetics.
Which is kind of fucking stupid considering if you put it face UP like a normal person, it has a multi colored notification LED. This has been in the Galaxy phones for the last 2-3 generations.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
For my Note Edge I bought a checkbook-style case that has a front flap, so being able to see the edge is sort of convenient. Of course, all of my previous phones I didn't have that style case, so I could have just as easily gotten a different one and looked at the notification light, as mentioned. Still, at least on the Note Edge it does a couple of things. Not game-changing at all, but sorta neat.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So I updated my OPO to the CM12 4/1 nightly and am greeted by an "Android is upgrading... Powered by Microsoft" with a windows logo as it's rebuilding the ART cache. Apparently if you use the Trebuchet launcher the app drawer icon is now a windows logo. Took me a few minutes to get it. Well played CM.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
If you're coming from KitKat make sure you flash the updated firmware or you may have battery drain and wake issues with calls among other things.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I've been on CM 12 nightlies almost the entire time I've had the phone. I just couldn't stand going back to Kit Kat after getting used to Lollipop. It was just a comment on their April Fool's joke tying in to all those rumors of Microsoft funding.

I am looking forward to see how OxygenOS turns out, as they hired most of the PA team to make it.