Smartphones

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Anyone following the Iphone 6S chip deal? Apparently Apple sourced two different chips for it and one has a battery life of about 2 hours less and some other not so great performance compared to the other chip.

Chipgate: How to tell if your iPhone 6s has a crappy A9 chip | Cult of Mac
Apple claims the two hour figure is particular to a contrived case used in benchmarking software. Real-world differences are only supposed to be 2-3%.

Apple: Data shows TSMC and Samsung iPhone 6S models have similar battery life | Ars Technica

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
So I'm looking to switch back to Verizon, but I need to figure out what phone to get. So I came to you guys.

I don't mind if its Apple or Droid, I've liked both (my current is a Moto X 2nd). I need a smartphone though that isn't huge. I wear carpenter jeans at work all the time, and the pocket on the side of my right knee is the magic spot. It needs to be able to fit in there, or I'll go bonkers looking for it even if I have it in another one.

Thanks for any advice.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
EDIT: I am now learning about "phablet", I would prefer a smaller phone. I already have laptops and tablets. I want something easy to get in and out of pockets.
Phablets are usually 6'' and larger. The One Plus 2 is 5.5 inches. Slightly larger than the Nexus 5, but should still be able to hold it comfortably.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Phablets are usually 6'' and larger. The One Plus 2 is 5.5 inches. Slightly larger than the Nexus 5, but should still be able to hold it comfortably.
Not 6" or larger. Only the Samsung Galaxy mega was ever that big and for sure isn't the only phablet. I would say anything over 5.2 or so is a phablet. So not the Galaxy s6 but the s6 edge plus and note 5. Not the iPhone 6s but 6s plus.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
ok, I call bullshit. I can't get in this fucking One+2 "open buy" site. It said keep trying back and apparently they extended by 1 hour in the US but fucking A. Talk about first world problems.....this is gay. Might as well try to get in to Obama Health Care while I'm at it.

EDIT:

Total nerd rage. Finally got in, phone in cart, go to checkout and it lags me back out to the main screen with empty cart. /fail

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I just got back from the Microsoft store. They had demos of the lumia 950xl and surface pro 4. I asked to see the smaller version of the lumia and the rep said the US was only getting the 950xl. Only Canada is getting the 950.

Tbh, the phone wasn't as big as I expected. I have an iPhone 6 and it was slightly bigger and wider by smaller than a 6 plus. The screen was awesome. Nice color and could adjust the colors to be more cool or warm in the settings. The camera was really good. Fast auto focus and clear pics. Has digital OIS and hardware OIS.

The phone was warm to the touch on the back though. The rep said it was because it was on the charger but I've never had a phone that warm while charging. The phone has rapid charging and wireless charging built in. The OS was silky smooth except for loading the gallery. All in all I came away impressed and preordered for no money down. I may or may not buy it when it arrives. Doing some checking on a few apps and wanna read a few reviews.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've noticed the nexus 6 gets pretty warm as well, think it has something to do with the rapid charging.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Is rapid charging supposed to fuck up your battery? I bought the turbo charger thingy for my Moto X and after a year the battery life is down to like 6-7 hours (used to get 12+ no problem).

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't buy from shit companies.
I did finally get through, but my orders page shows about 5 canceled orders and 1 good one. Hopefully I will only get charged once
smile.png

And I disagree that it is a shit company. It may not be the absolute best phone on the market, in fact I wanted the new Samsung Edge+ or whatever it's called, but it's one of the only phones that has dual-standby 4G sim support

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I believe he is referring to their repeated (failed)obfuscation of their inability to rampup manufacturing.

Siliconemelons

Is rapid charging supposed to fuck up your battery? I bought the turbo charger thingy for my Moto X and after a year the battery life is down to like 6-7 hours (used to get 12+ no problem).
"No, of course not... rapid charging does not deplete your battery life any! There IS NO PROOF that it does!" this was the flame roasting I got when I simply mentioned on a forum that I would rather have wireless charging than quick charge especially in a phone with a non replaceable battery!

:)

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yes, it absolutely does. I posted about this a few pages back, but the faster you charge or discharge a Li-ion battery, the warmer it gets. Yes, that includes Quick Charging. The warmer a battery gets, while being used or charged, the quicker its capacitors deteriorate.

Edit: Also, the Moto X had a really tiny battery, even for a "smaller" phone.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Got a couple of OP2 invites if anyone's interested. I suspect these are fairly common now, but I'm not buying, so whatever. PM me. First come, first served.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Oh, that is some serious horseshit. Well, there's nothing stopping someone from logging in as me and claiming it, then shipping it somewhere else, right?

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
I've had my OPT since last Thursday... And am loving it. I was worried seeing some of the complaints... My battery oob has been great and no heat issues... Granted I use it for email, podcast, texting, for over updates, not like gaming constantly. The camera is great for me, sharp great looking photos tho the snap time does take a bit. I'm coming from an S4 and for 389 (64G model) it's just great. Feels awesome in the hand, too. My only complaint would be USB-C charging - Can't just use a friend's charger.

I am about to buy Tasker so I can get notification slider to work as silent/vibrate/sound. Fingerprint scanner is sooo sweet.

If I get another invite I'd be happy to share.

And ya, their invite system sucks. My S4 was on its last legs and I was a day away from spending the extra cash for a Moto Pure 32 - So far I am glad it worked out, though.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Oh, that is some serious horseshit. Well, there's nothing stopping someone from logging in as me and claiming it, then shipping it somewhere else, right?
Nope. That's what I did with trusted party who had a OPO so got invite early. I got mine 3 days later, though the 24 hour window expired. From order to shipping I received it in 7 days.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Any Project Fi people out there that can tell me how you like the service? I signed up for an invite on Sunday and was wondering how long it took for you guys to receive them.