Smartphones

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lol. I just switched from iPhone 5s to Note 5. It's amazing being back on Android and none of the problems you explained happened for me on the Note 5. Although it doesn't surprise me as that phone, imo, was always for the people who like to fiddle.

My only complaint isn't phone specific, but has to do with the phone hanging on to a WiFi signal far too long. The iPhone was great at recognizing when a better connection was available, and switching. Now, it won't switch networks unless I'm completely out of range.
Interesting to hear. So are you saying that with your phone you just turned it on and instantly had the unread message counts and other basic features like listening to a voicemail without calling a number?

I knew the OnePlus 2 had a "wrapper" or whatever it's called, on the Android interface, I just didn't know how far it extended. I almost feel like Android should cut that shit out because it makes the system look bad. As someone like me(or my parents) or anyone else not tech savvy or otherwise coming from an iPhone, from the moment you turn on your phone(Android) it should be an Android.

Good news is that I finally have it all figured out and can now operate on a daily basis like I did before. So I'm happy(ish)

Agraza

Registered Hutt
My galaxy s4 was an android from the moment I turned it on. Sounds like the OnePlus 2 might be the issue.

Interesting to hear. So are you saying that with your phone you just turned it on and instantly had the unread message counts and other basic features like listening to a voicemail without calling a number?

I knew the OnePlus 2 had a "wrapper" or whatever it's called, on the Android interface, I just didn't know how far it extended. I almost feel like Android should cut that shit out because it makes the system look bad. As someone like me(or my parents) or anyone else not tech savvy or otherwise coming from an iPhone, from the moment you turn on your phone(Android) it should be an Android.

Good news is that I finally have it all figured out and can now operate on a daily basis like I did before. So I'm happy(ish)
I think you bought the wrong phone if that is what you're expecting. The OnePlus series is based on the custom ROM scene of Android. It is a phone that is built for the type of people that like to dig in and modify their phone.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I think you bought the wrong phone if that is what you're expecting. The OnePlus series is based on the custom ROM scene of Android. It is a phone that is built for the type of people that like to dig in and modify their phone.
The OnePlus Two is running OxygenOs, which OnePlus hired most of the main devs behind Paranoid Android to make. While I have very limited firsthand experience with it (ran the first release of it on the OPO for about a week) the PA guys generally kept things close to stock with a few tweaks here and there that they felt fit in smoothly with Google's design. I actually forgot about this when giving him the instructions on the battery % and gave them based on Cyanogen, which is what I'm curently running on my OPO.

In general OnePlus phones are generally geared to enthusiasts, as evidenced by not voiding your warranty for unlocking the bootloader, which is required to load custom roms. The nice thing about that is if he doesn't like the custom roms with tons of tweaks, he should be able to flash a stock rom on it. It's pretty damn simple to do if you can follow some basic instructions.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
My galaxy s4 was an android from the moment I turned it on. Sounds like the OnePlus 2 might be the issue.
Not entirely. Samsung layers TouchWiz on top of the base Android experience. Different manufacturer's skins or overlays are more or less intrusive. I haven't minded the stuff that Samsung changed on the S6 as compared to my Nexus 4, but it's occasionally annoying how they try to make you use their browser and other apps. You can get rid of most of it, but not all of it.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Got a OnePlus X invite. $249 for 2.3GHz Quadcore, 3GB RAM, 16GB Storage (expandable to 128GB), 5" 1080p...basically unlocked bloatware free android OS...

Sounds too good. What's the catch? I mean, I paid over $400 for these specs for a Sony Z3, and that phone turned out to be a handicapped waste.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea, as I said earlier in the thread I bought OP2 specifically for the dual-standby 4g sim feature. It's one of the only phones to offer it so I had limited choices. I do have it all figured out now but like others said it had that wrapper thing on it and honestly wasn't that simple to figure out at first. No big deal, it's all working now.

I was playing around with the NOVA "themes" or whatever they are called, some are pretty neat but by god the search feature to find them is ass. Basically it's like a skin, changes icons and background and stuff. This is a feature over the iPhone I do appreciate.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Got a OnePlus X invite. $249 for 2.3GHz Quadcore, 3GB RAM, 16GB Storage (expandable to 128GB), 5" 1080p...basically unlocked bloatware free android OS...

Sounds too good. What's the catch? I mean, I paid over $400 for these specs for a Sony Z3, and that phone turned out to be a handicapped waste.
Not sure if OnePlus X is the same as the One Plus 2 I just bought, but so far I like it(hardware wise). I've already voiced my issues about software and I've only owned it 1-2 weeks but the hardware seems fine.

Apparently it's got a badass camera though I almost never take pictures with my phone. Buttons seem responsive and smooth. Fingerprint thing works great, I added both thumbs and both index fingers so I can pretty much turn it on whenever and it doesn't seem to have a delay like I've read about on other phones.

Only downside is that I've read if you hold it with both hands it has some kind of grounding issue that stops the main button from working. I was able to replicate this a few times but not consistently so there is some kind of quirk but you must have to hold the phone a certain way. Either way once I put a case on it, it stopped happening.

I do want the fucking otterbox, but apparently I can only order it if im asian, the US otterbox site won't ship to me
frown.png
I've always only used otterbox unless someone else can toss up a competitor when it comes to intensely strong bomb proof cases, I don't care how bulky it is. The phone sees tons of abuse.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well this is interesting. I just randomly went and checked on Nexus 6P status again. It let me order one, delivery mid November is estimated. I did not get an alert or off the wait list or anything, just random. No hesitation this time. This was for Aluminum 64GB.

Bels_sl

shitlord
Well this is interesting. I just randomly went and checked on Nexus 6P status again. It let me order one, delivery mid November is estimated. I did not get an alert or off the wait list or anything, just random. No hesitation this time. This was for Aluminum 64GB.
They've sporadically re-introduced purchasing. Ordered a 32GB aluminum myself this afternoon, estimated arrival Wednesday.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My Note 3 and my wife's S5 are the same way. I have to just turn off my wifi if I'm outside of my home working in the yard or something, because the phones will hold on until the last 1% of wifi signal strength, even though switching over to cell data would be much better performance well before that point.
Figured this is Android, there has to be an app. And sure enough there is, and it's glorious! Called Best Wifi. Free, and will switch you when signal strength gets low. Can customize how low before switching, but I left it at default and it's just fine. I've had it 2 days now, and it's so awesome! Literally was my only complaint going back to Android, and it's now solved. Very happy! I checked battery, and it's not even showing up so it doesn't burn battery at all either.

On the topic of Apps, which is the Itsy Bitsy spider app your kid likes? Saw you mention it in the Parents thread, and I'm curious. Our sons are nearly identical age.
smile.png

Yes, that is correct. Worked like that straight out of the box. In fact, for Voicemail, I had speech to text enabled free for a month (Verizon paid service), which was slick as hell. No longer even had to hit play, just could read what the voicemail was. Really liked that, and will pay for it after I get a job. As for the texting unread notifications. I think it's app specific, so your launcher solution may be what you want if you want it on everything. It won't leave an unread number on the icon (like you want) for Gmail, but it does for my texts. So maybe it's app specific? I use Textra for my texting.

Btw... what happened to Handcent? 2+ years ago, it was the best texting app, and now it seems to be meh? Textra was coming up quite a bit on reviews as the best, and it's fine, but always on the look out for better.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider

The catch? Its Snapdragon 801 and 1080p screen. Those are Xperia Z2 specs... so 1.5 years old (there's been Z3, Z3+ and Z5 since then). Also don't understand why you think your Z3 is handicapped waste. My Z2 is still very fast.

EDIT: It's also the same spec for OnePlus One... so its basically left over parts from their last phone.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Why is a 1080p screen considered a negative here? It's a 5" phone. Who cares?

If you tell me that you can see the difference between 1080p and 4K at 1 foot in front of your face on a 5" screen, I'll go buy myself a cave in the middle of nowhere and start hiding from Skynet, because you're clearly a cyborg.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee

If you tell me that you can see the difference between 1080p and 4K at 1 foot in front of your face on a 5" screen, I'll go buy myself a cave in the middle of nowhere and start hiding from Skynet, because you're clearly a cyborg.
It's not. The spec queens want the top of the line yo!

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider

I never said the specs are bad. In fact, I explicitly said my Z2 is still very fast. I just answered his question on why the OPX is so cheap.