Smartphones

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Metro PCS is a CDMA carrier as of the last time I knew. That won't work on Tmobile. They are a GSM carrier and their LTE is on a different frequency than any other carrier.

I'd suggest Ebay if you can't find a retailer at the right place. Can probably save a bit there.

Wirefly is the only other company I've used besides amazon.
http://www.wirefly.com/

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
we went to tmobile, my wife fell in love with the S4 and they were selling the S3 for only $50 less than the S4, sigh.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
ended up getting a nexus4 from google's play store and an S4 directly from tmobile. Pretty excited to get my stuff!

Also my credit card got restricted when attempting to buy the google item, lol.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Awesome start to the day. Wife's Note 2 battery died while she was running... and the device decided it was time for a factory reset. Son is 2 years old next week, she just lost 8 months of pictures. As if a similar experience with her old iPhone wasn't a reminder enough to backup often.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a LAN line installed in our house by the end of the week and/or she reactivates an old flip phone.

Awesome start to the day. Wife's Note 2 battery died while she was running... and the device decided it was time for a factory reset. Son is 2 years old next week, she just lost 8 months of pictures. As if a similar experience with her old iPhone wasn't a reminder enough to backup often.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a LAN line installed in our house by the end of the week and/or she reactivates an old flip phone.
There is basically no reason to not have a cloud service for pictures right now. Google+ will do it and you already have a google account, dropbox if you don't want that for some reason, hell facebook will do it. You don't have to regularly use the tool that is doing it, just have it back your stuff up, just in case.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
What the fuck is it with women and not understanding that keeping valuable photos solely on a device that is extremely likely to break or be stolen is not a wise decision? My bro just had to pay $1,200 to recover the contents of his home PC's hard drive that got fried by a PSU dying cause his wife had every photo they've ever taken of their 2 year old daughter on there, and only there.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Only seemingly plausible explanation I've found for the problem is the battery draining quickly and the drives not properly unmounting or something before power is lost. Then on restart it's an unusable file system/OS and it resets the device.

Agree about the above though, even just having the photos and other data on a SD card would have saved her this grief, but a Note 2 didn't come w/ one... naturally I have 2 sitting in my Amazon cart from last week waiting on me to order them.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
There is basically no reason to not have a cloud service for pictures right now. Google+ will do it and you already have a google account, dropbox if you don't want that for some reason, hell facebook will do it. You don't have to regularly use the tool that is doing it, just have it back your stuff up, just in case.
Just decided to activate the google+ profile associated with my Android login purely so it could auto back up my pictures. Lo and behold it turns out that about 500 phone pics uploaded via the picasa app were publically visible to EVERYONE on their internet. Couldn't find how to change them back to private so deleted the entire album and am now uploading everything via the google+ auto backup when hopefully they'll be private.

fucking piece of shit

opiate82

Bronze Squire
You can even have it setup so the pictures automatically are backed up on the cloud somewhere. Hindsight and all of that, I know, but especially if this has happened before that is something that should have been set up for her. I personally have all my photos backed up to a separate computer in my house, a portable hard-drive located at my parents house and to the cloud and it is all done automatically.

Also, I know that cell-phone cameras are convenient and getting better-and-better, but if we are talking about "life-long memory" type photos you really should think about getting some sort of digital camera, even a point-and-shoot at the very least is going to take much better quality photos than a cellphone camera.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone here have insider knowledge of when the lumia 925 will be out in the US, current phone is getting enough breakdown that I really want to upgrade, but I also want that phone.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Drop box. Updates over WiFi automatically.
And you don't even have to be on WiFi if you turn the option on to just update regardless(assuming you have an unlimited data phone plan). Dropbox has easily uploaded 500MB+ HD videos via 4G. It might take 10 minutes depending on your signal strength, but there's apparently no size limit(that i've found yet)

Just decided to activate the google+ profile associated with my Android login purely so it could auto back up my pictures. Lo and behold it turns out that about 500 phone pics uploaded via the picasa app were publically visible to EVERYONE on their internet. Couldn't find how to change them back to private so deleted the entire album and am now uploading everything via the google+ auto backup when hopefully they'll be private.

fucking piece of shit
I don't know about the Picasa stuff, that sounds pretty crazy though. I thought everyone at this point had learned that automatically uploaded photos HAVE to be private by default. o_O

G+ won't share photos unless you share it through G+ with some circles. That was kind of their big selling point, that everything is defined in who it is shared to specifically.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I purchased the S4 for my wife through tmobile's site and opted to transfer the number. We haven't gotten the package yet but the number was disconnected and she has no service.

The email they sent us for tracking information requires we login with a password we don't have. Trying to setup an account results in tmobile txting the password to my wife's phone.

It's no big deal but I'm surprised the phone # switched before we physically got the phone.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That's pretty crappy customer service. Anytime I've upgraded with Sprint, they mail me the phone and then I call them once I physically have it in my hands to swap everything over.

I guess if nothing else, the new phone *should* be fully setup and ready for use when you receive it. That'll save you probably a 20+ minute phone call with some shitty customer service rep in India.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
there's a 50% chance that's the case and 50% we got dropped into the twilight zone or something, lol.