Smartphones

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I pick the OS first, then the hardware. I can't say I won't buy Tizen or whatever it's called because we don't know shit about it yet, but I can't see them coming out with something that can compete with iOS / Android.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I want to know the monetary motivation for this. I thought Android was free. Or close to it? Do they want their own app store?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Not only is Android free, but Google PAYS Samsung for each Samsung phone that has Android on it(or at least they did as of a year or two ago)

Any real way to get AT&T to give me the upgrade option I wouldn't otherwise have until Sept 2014? I'm thinking about going from my iPhone 5 to something else.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Any real way to get AT&T to give me the upgrade option I wouldn't otherwise have until Sept 2014? I'm thinking about going from my iPhone 5 to something else.
They just unveiled theirAT&T Nextplan where you can upgrade once a year. Might be able to switch to that to get an upgrade now, but not positive. YMMV on whether the math works out in your favor or not for the Next program.

They just unveiled theirAT&T Nextplan where you can upgrade once a year. Might be able to switch to that to get an upgrade now, but not positive. YMMV on whether the math works out in your favor or not for the Next program.
That's ghetto shit. It's like financing a car at 15% interest.

I think I'll walk into a store and throw water on an employee.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Yeah that is a terrible deal but people are stupid, like their upgrades and our "you have a payment plan for that?" society will eat it because they can't math.

Siliconemelons

LG bought WebOS in terms of the OS- not the backing patent portfolio- HP still owns that and supposedly is going on with their OpenWebOS project- I really hope Samsung jumps on that and makes HP get OpenWebOS up to snuff. LG is saying they are using WebOS for their smart TVs...not phones...argh!

I am a WebOS advocate- I have been a fan since sprint and my pre1 ... I am on Verizon and rock a Pre3 now- the OS is the best mobile OS in soo many ways- but lack of real support is letting many of its better features just get copied- i.e iOS 7 card multi tasking...like all of the popup toast-type notifications etc.

Firefox OS - has that gone anywhere?

There needs to be more options than iOS and Android- windows phone 8 is just bad all around- and BlackBerry is feeling the issues that palm/hp did hard and fierce- aka "I NEED ME 29103210930219321 APPS THAT APPLE HAS!" and other shit- if a big hardware company gets behind an emerging mobile OS it could get the devs behind it.

With that said.. Sammy should not dev their own shit from grownd up- the money that takes is insane- get with LG or HP, rebrand webos and go- webos is what it says it is WEB...and maybe they should get with BBerry-- QNX drives a ton of cars already- but with BB10 they kinda left QNX to be its own thing so /shrug

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just saw LGs new G2 phone. Oh damn the thing is hot! Will wait to see Samsung note 3 specs but might go with LG. Depends what they turn out to be.

Siliconemelons

Have you used it? I've never heard anyone say that about it before. Usually the only complaint people have is the lack of Instagram.
Not as a primary phone no- but I have used several live demos for long periods of time etc and people I know that have it...like 2...

But as I said I am really hardcore WebOS... I love the OS and how it works. Sadly my pre3 has been used and abused and it is starting to have a lot of cracks and stuff and I know its just going to be like POOF I am not working anymore! I most likely at this time going with a BB q10

Yes I love my physical keyboards also...non landscape keyboards... I am holding out for a BB10 torch-style form factor but their next one out will be a larger slab phone than the z10- the z30- hopefully after that they will announce their next keyboarded phone.

I am NOT a consumer the "market" is appealing to at this time so its really hard for me to find a phone and OS style I like.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I love windows phone OS, I could care less about instagram, never had any issues with the navigation, my only complaint with them is that I am no longer impressed with the hardware out now, I don't need a 42 megapixle camera on my phone I just need a fast phone. Also the lack of phablet is what has me looking at replacing my current wp8 with the note 3. If I could get note 3 hardware with wp8 os I would grab it in a second

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
Went from the razr to the iphone5. After getting over the loss of my more gadgety stuff not working, I really dig it a lot. Carmack said it best in his keynote, even though android still has a long way to go, it showed the cell industry that you shouldn't half ass your phone OS. If Samsung can bake a better os, let us see what they have in mind. Android is far from perfect. But its even worse when you've got folks putting crapware all over it.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've been able to spend some time on multiple devices running 4.3 and the TRIM support is really noticeable on devices like the Nexus 7. While availability of ROMs isn't that great yet, it's even having an impact performance-wise on my HTC One. It seems this may be the best step in OS performance since Project Butter.

If you have a device with leaks or available 4.3 ROMs, I'd recommend giving it a try.