Smartphones

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Pretty much this. I avoid the Verizon store like the plague. They were dumbfounded when I went in to pick up my phone. I had bought it out right and they were convinced that I'd upgraded. It took me about 10 minutes of explaining that I just bought the phone outright and that I didn't want them to activate it, just wanted to pay for it and leave. I don't think I'll ever go back there which is pretty sad.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
So I got the iPhone 6 a month ago. And last week my work got me a Droid Maxx. And wow... the Droid sucks. That is all.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Shit, a droid Maxx is like a year and a half old phone that wasn't even top of the line when it released. It's probably about the 37th best Android phone on the market currently. Your employer is cheap, those were probably 99 cents on contract or something, of course it doesn't compare to the iphone 6.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
So I got the iPhone 6 a month ago. And last week my work got me a Droid Maxx. And wow... the Droid sucks. That is all.
rrr_img_82212.jpg

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Well apple sucks at it
Do you even exploit kernels, bro?

No, they don't "suck at it". All code has bugs. Sometimes it takes a while to find them (as with iOS 7, which took quite a while to break). Sometimes they're easy enough to find (as with iOS 8, which was broken within weeks of release, potentially with an exploit that was also present in iOS 7, who knows).

Most software is breakable given enough time and effort. It's a question of whether someone will expend the effort for random_android_phone_001. For the more popular phones, this is almost certain to be the case. With iPhone, there is a limited amount of difference between models to get around, so it's easier to focus on breaking the software rather than dealing with both hardware and software. Takes less time (not to mention fewer purchased devices).

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I'm a blatant iFanboy, and even I wouldn't make this comparison. What were you thinking?

This would be like comparing my 6+ to my work-supplied Blackberry 9300.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Interesting. I wonder if this is due to the demand? They are a smaller outfit. Maybe they've dug themselves into a hole so deep that they can't see their way out of it right now.

Those who have bought a OPO, have you had any problems with it? A friend bought one and, while he hasn't quite been convinced to leave his iPhone behind, he isn't complaining about it either. I'm curious enough that I might end up buying one just to mess around with if I end up with an invite.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Nope no issues. I've seen a post or two on xda from people that have said similar but nothing widespread.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The most common problem I've heard people having was an unresponsive strip of the touchscreen, which was a software problem that I believe has been fixed.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My OPO is awesome so far, no problems to speak of yet.

The battery life is unreal.
That's the one thing other than price that keeps me considering the OPO instead of the Nexus 6. From what I've heard so far, the N6 has ok battery life, but not what you would expect from a phone of it's size.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Snagged my opo this morning. I needed a more powerful phone then my ZTE. Hopefully the phone isn't too big for my liking as i like to keep it in my back pocket.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I went from a 4.5" to the OPO 5.5"... It was mybiggestconcern but it ended up being no problem at all. The device weighs less and is thinner than my Lumia 920 so the difference in size almost feels imaginary.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
After you use a big phone for a few days you likely won't want to go back. now if you manage 30 minutes of screen time a day it might not be necessary but if you use your device at all you'll appreciate the extra screen.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
After running the developer preview with my N5, I finally upgraded to the full release version. There were definitely optimizations that went into this version, and it feels (after 4 days) much snappier and smoother in comparison. Battery life is pretty alright, and overall 5.0 is a great experience.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I flashed the N4 factory image when it was released a few days ago and I'm already itching to flash a 5.0 based rom. 5.0 is great but there are some things Google really needed to pick up from custom roms. The one that annoys me the most is long pressing on something in quick setting should take you to the settings for item. Plus having 2 finger swipe being the only way to get to quick settings in one swipe instead of beings able to pick a side that pulls them down with a 1 finger swipe.. There are a few other little things, like the bluetooth icon always being lit up in notifications if it's on but not connected and things of that nature.

Overall, this is probably the most happy I've been with stock android since 4.0, but I'll still be flashing a custom rom as soon as one comes out with the options I like.

Oldbased

> Than U
http://www.staples.com/BLU-Life-Play...opdown_4152566'
$120 for the Blu Life Play. No LTE though but otherwise a damn solid phone for that price.
For us people on the cheaps
Specs says 4.2 but I can verify it updates to 4.4 on first internet use.

4.7" LED-backlit IPS LCD Capacitive Multi-Touchscreen
Android v4.2 (Jelly Bean)
8 Megapixel Camera (3264 x 2448 pixels) w/ Autofocus, LED flash + Front-Facing 2 Megapixel Camera
Quad-Core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A7 Processor, PowerVR SGX544 Graphics
Internal Memory: 8GB ROM, 1GB RAM + microSD Slot Expandable up to 32GB
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth: v4.0, USB: microUSB v2.0, GPS: with A-GPS
Browser: HTML5, Messaging: SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM
Li-Ion 1800 mAh battery
Dimensions: 5.40 x 2.70 x 0.35 (inches)