Smartwatches / Fitness Trackers

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
As hilarious as it would be to go to a bar on Friday night and see tons of yuppies with dead apple watches on their wrists, most of what I've heard on podcasts and the like is that it gets through a day pretty easily if you're not playing games on it or something.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As hilarious as it would be to go to a bar on Friday night and see tons of yuppies with dead apple watches on their wrists, most of what I've heard on podcasts and the like is that it gets through a day pretty easily if you're not playing games on it or something.
Same, but yea - hopefully his experience isn't typical. That doesn't bode well if his experience is normal IMO.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I believe one of the benefits of a sapphire screen is it is highly scratch resistant performing better then Gorilla Glass.
The sapphire is supposed to be pretty damn hard to scratch, the trade off being that it shatters like a mofo.

I snagged Applecare for mine because yay discount. I dont put cases on my phones either for the same reason (and I've only ever had to replace one phone).
Pretty much every watch worth a damn has had sapphire glass for countless years now. It's nothing special or exclusive about the Apple watch.

Vaclav

Pretty sure that impact was more an indication of all the earlier abuse weakening it over time rather than being something that would singularly destroy it.

Dandrools

Molten Core Raider
2h24m of use using half the battery seems "fine to you" - for what looks like 20 text messages and some glancing at it otherwise? That's like 5% of the battery used on my phone. (Seriously barely touched my phone yesterday besides checking emails and ended the day with 91% charge and no plugging it in all day - probably email checking on par with the messaging you did)

And in comparison I've seen Moto 360 go 8+ hrs with being used at least that much on friends without it running out of charge (never asked how much charge it still had in those cases though).
He said from 10am to 12:24am, wouldn't that be 14h24m? Works out to about 30h of life with his level of usage, sounds like damn good battery life to me.

Vaclav

He said from 10am to 12:24am, wouldn't that be 14h24m? Works out to about 30h of life with his level of usage, sounds like damn good battery life to me.
Ah, missed the edit timestamp - I saw his initial post being roughly 2:30pm and assumed it was PM. Good catch, yea, 14 hrs for half battery is solid. Good to see I made a goof reading it.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Yea, It was over 2 hours
smile.png

I like it, but I also got a really nice discount on it. If I was having to pay full price, I'd probably pass, or at the very least get a "lesser" model. I think the Pebble 2.0 at ~$200 is probably the stronger choice if the e-ink screen doesnt bother you.

The watch does seem to charge super fast.

this is the one I got:Apple Watch - Shop Apple Watch - Apple Store (U.S.)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I use a Garmin Forerunner 310XT for all biking/running/triathlon related stuff.

That being said, Garmin makes solid products. I am going to get a Vivoactive sometime in the future.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I use a Garmin Forerunner 310XT for all biking/running/triathlon related stuff.

That being said, Garmin makes solid products. I am going to get a Vivoactive sometime in the future.
And has the greatest commercial of all time.

Column_sl

shitlord
Speaking of commercials, watching the iwatch commercials they are running with the Flash tonight.

Yeah, they are going to sell a shit ton of them.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Just read a article about tattoos messing up the sensors in Apple watches. I still don't get the drawer to these, work gave us one and I can't stand it

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Just read a article about tattoos messing up the sensors in Apple watches. I still don't get the drawer to these, work gave us one and I can't stand it
To be fair you're not supposed to wear them on your lower back though.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Saw that on reddit, something to do with the green light not being able to see through the black ink of the tattoo or something.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So it's finally happened. Company policy in secure areas finally changed to prohibit smart watches. I'm really not sure going forward how you enforce this without banning watches. They are starting to look like Casio watches and I'm sure in another 5 years you'll see legit analogs with digital overlays.

Neph_sl

shitlord
If you wear a smartwatch in an area that prohibits it, you're essentially putting your job at risk. Why put your job at risk for a vanity item? Or you could take it off before going in there. Or just not buy a smartwatch.

Edit: if I sound salty, it's not personal. I'm in the same boat

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you wear a smartwatch in an area that prohibits it, you're essentially putting your job at risk. Why put your job at risk for a vanity item? Or you could take it off before going in there. Or just not buy a smartwatch.

Edit: if I sound salty, it's not personal. I'm in the same boat
It's less that then people wearing it and just forgetting. It's a watch and for some watches, like a Pebble, which you wear a week at a time it's easy to forget it is even on your wrist.