very popular and works on everything

81kE0CVI9uL._SL1500_.jpg
i wanna be a baller!
442d4d4b12ada3fcbf7a655636538846.png

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Need the tldr.

Im rocking an old weber smokey mountain. I can't run temp probes into it. Controlling temp is a pita. I want to spend less time on that shit and more time working on my rubs and sauces.

What do? What should I get?

Budget is ideally under $1500. Already has a propane grill, just need a smoker.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Need the tldr.

Im rocking an old weber smokey mountain. I can't run temp probes into it. Controlling temp is a pita. I want to spend less time on that shit and more time working on my rubs and sauces.

577f71911a51ce44e965954ccf436d50.png

8ed8f14550361ebc02687f50b4936d35.png

also drilling oil

buy a new pellet smoker

you can still use the pics to mod the pellet smoker, they will NOT have something that nice to slip probes into

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
577f71911a51ce44e965954ccf436d50.png

8ed8f14550361ebc02687f50b4936d35.png

also drilling oil

buy a new pellet smoker

you can still use the pics to mod the pellet smoker, they will NOT have something that nice to slip probes into
Wtf? You can't buy a pellet smoker that has holes for probes? Surely one exists on the market...

If not i might as well mod my weber..

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
so i still have this issue where my poultry skin texture is like rubber
Crank the heat at the end. The high heat will crisp the skin. I do a bacon wrapped beercan chicken. 225 until internal is 130, then 375 until internal is 170/done. Turns out perfect every time.

That’s my favorite thing about the pellet smoker, it’s perfectly consistent every single time.

BB8A1DA0-07B5-4539-9CB4-55A2498CBDF2.jpeg

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Wtf? You can't buy a pellet smoker that has holes for probes? Surely one exists on the market...

Most of them have a hole and a little metal door that closes over it to just leave enough space for the wires after you pass the probe through. I find this to be very adequate but I imagine the silicone ones are probably a bit tighter seal.

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
Need the tldr.

Ive got 3 different smokers and 2 grills and have cooked for over 3000 people at once. One of the smokers is a Smokey mountain, if you are having issues with temps in that its either you live in a cold climate or never seasoned your smokey mountain properly. I have taken my smokey mountain to high altitude (9k) and had no issues holding temps.
As far as pellet, they work for busy people and put out a good enough product for home cooking and enough to win some competitions. They will never match the taste of a horizontal offset from someone who knows how to cook on one but they put out a decent product. I say all this as someone speaking from 30 years of smoking meat experience with training by some of the best competition cookers in Texas.

Remember if your looking you ain't cooking.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Ive got 3 different smokers and 2 grills and have cooked for over 3000 people at once. One of the smokers is a Smokey mountain, if you are having issues with temps in that its either you live in a cold climate or never seasoned your smokey mountain properly. I have taken my smokey mountain to high altitude (9k) and had no issues holding temps.
As far as pellet, they work for busy people and put out a good enough product for home cooking and enough to win some competitions. They will never match the taste of a horizontal offset from someone who knows how to cook on one but they put out a decent product. I say all this as someone speaking from 30 years of smoking meat experience with training by some of the best competition cookers in Texas.

Too late to season it properly?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
You have to season smokers? (I ask because I don't have one, and not because I'm being a smartass)

Kinner

Too late to season it properly?
Nope. Go to the store, buy a package of pork butts and throw them on there for 20 hours. Fill the charcoal up at the bottom minion style, mix in about 3 good size apple wood chunks near the top and middle of the stack, light the top of the stack woth about 4 to 6 at most charcoal pieces, dont put in water pan, close All bottom vents, leave the top vent, and always leave the top vent open fully when cooking, and let those bad boys cook. They are done when you can twist the bone and could pull it out if you want.

I prefer to use some horseradish dijon mustard, texas bbq rub www.texasbbqrub.com, and cut holes in the butt for garlic cloves. Comes out awesome every time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kinner

You have to season smokers? (I ask because I don't have one, and not because I'm being a smartass)
Yes. It helps seal the lids and keep smoke from exhausting everywhere. Also you want to make sure you never get a creosote buildup ( Google it) if mine gets to much gunk. I will take it to a self car wash and clean it. Mind you that is my trailered pit. My others I just keep and eye on them and wipe out if I need. Stale smoke makes meat taste like ass which is why you always leave your exhaust vent fully open to keep smoke moving.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Nope. Go to the store, buy a package of pork butts and throw them on there for 20 hours. Fill the charcoal up at the bottom minion style, mix in about 3 good size apple wood chunks near the top and middle of the stack, light the top of the stack woth about 4 to 6 at most charcoal pieces, dont put in water pan, close All bottom vents, leave the top vent, and always leave the top vent open fully when cooking, and let those bad boys cook. They are done when you can twist the bone and could pull it out if you want.

I prefer to use some horseradish dijon mustard, texas bbq rub www.texasbbqrub.com, and cut holes in the butt for garlic cloves. Comes out awesome every time.
Did you notch your WSB so you could run probes inside it? I see that's a popular mod.

Kinner

Did you notch your WSB so you could run probes inside it? I see that's a popular mod.
Nope. I cook based off looks and feel. When it comes time for temps I use a thermapen for that. If you want to keep a constant eye on temps, get a probe with a long cord and have to the probe outside. If you want to geek out a bit you can get a billows and smoke from thermapen.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Sorry I am by no means an expert at this but what does "if you're looking you ain't cooking" mean?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Crank the heat at the end. The high heat will crisp the skin. I do a bacon wrapped beercan chicken. 225 until internal is 130, then 375 until internal is 170/done. Turns out perfect every time.

That’s my favorite thing about the pellet smoker, it’s perfectly consistent every single time.

View attachment 325637
Which one do you have again?

My dad recommended this one

Last edited:

Kinner

Sorry I am by no means an expert at this but what does "if you're looking you ain't cooking" mean?
Everytime you open the lid you are changing the heat(temp) and smoke dynamics in your smoker. Avoid opening the lid/door as much as you can for better results. Depending on the type of device you have, you can cause 10-40 degree variations in your cook and if you keep opening it every 15 minutes you are never going to get that true smoke flavor you want. I really only open the firebox lid to add a log that has been preheated and dont open my main doors until several hours in to the cook. Meat only accepts smoke up till 140-145 degrees so i want it to spend as much time in the smoke as it can while its cooler.

On my smokey mountain, i dont open the top or side lid until its either time to pull or wrap the meat.

Mind you i spent quite a bit of time learning how each of my pits cook and respond to environmental variations. It is time well spent as it makes me confident in knowing how itbwill respond to all sorts of external and internal factors.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users