Smokers / Grills

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
That's a great article. I don't think I should be as impressed as I am about how that guy managed to write a fair article about something he admittedly doesn't like. I've been consuming too much media I guess.

Can we put meathead goldwyn in charge of the news?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of electric smokers, anyone got an opinion on them? My wife wants one to do the roasts she normally does in the oven. I've never had or ran a real smoker, so I'm clueless.
Like BrutulTM said BBQ Snobs will try to tell you that electric smokers are not as good manual smokers, to me the difference is minimal at best and virtually non-existent. I compare it to people reading books on a Kindle vs. Hardback, Hardback readers claim to have a better experience....OKAY! The work vs reward is really where electric smokers shine. Manual Smokers require way more work/management to keep your temp consistent and consistent temp is what effects your meat more than anything. I will admit that I am not able to achieve as heavy of a smoke as I would like on my GMG Pellet Smoker, but I have found a work around for that. I use my old Brinkmann Smoker for the 1st hour to achieve a heavy smoke and then I transfer it to my GMG. I have done that with Brisket and Pork Shoulder and it has been fantastic.

Also for those that disagree electric pellet smokers can't get the job done as well, Sterling Smith of Loot N' Booty took 1st in Chicken using a GMG and 2nd overall at the American Royal Open.

Interview With Pitmaster Sterling Smith - Green Mountain Grills BlogGreen Mountain Grills Blog

You cannot beat the entry level price of about $100 when you buy something like this and a small bag of wood chips.

Brinkmann Gourmet Electric Smoker-810-7090-S - The Home Depot $79.99

I smoked meat on this style of smoker for the better part of a decade before I stepped up and bought my GMG. Minimal dollars out of pocket and minimal cleanup after use.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Pellet smokers are amazing. End of story. Some people just need to justify the 20 hours of fucking with their fire while smoking a butt.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I might be confused. Is an electric smoker the same as a pellet smoker?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
The Brinkmann I suggested for you is electric and has a metal bar/coil in the bottom with lava rocks. That bottom burner area is where you add the wood chips. Typically I would just add wood chips once at the very beginning of the cook, but sometimes for 10+ hour cooks I would add some at the halfway point. It also really helps if you soak your wood chips in water over night.

Pellet Smokers like my GMG (also electric) have a big holding bin on the side that you dump the pellets into. At the bottom of that holding bin is an auger that automatically feeds the pellets to the burner.

When I say manual smokers I mean any smoker that is not gas or electric that you manually feed wood and or charcoal to keep the temp going.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The pellet smokers have actual fire in them. Electric ones just heat the wood chips in a pan so they smoke. The pellet smokers work similar to the pellet stoves that people use to heat their houses I believe. Pellet smokers are probably the best combination of "real" wood smoke and "set it and forget it" convenience, but they are spendy. I think the GMGs are sort of the cheapest ones that are considered good quality and they start about $600.

Now I am desperately trying to resist the urge to go out and buy a Traeger. Then I could be the guy with the Traeger, the Weber gas grill, and the Big Green Egg lined up outside who never has a day off to barbecue.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I love shopping at Costco so I tried to find a reason to buy a Traegar over the GMG. In a head to head comparison my GMG smoked (pun intended) the equivalent Traegar in every way.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I wish I could take a whole day to BBQ but for me it's pretty much going to have to be done on it's own if it's going to happen. I do ribs and shit on my BGE sometimes but it usually has to happen from like 8-11 PM and then reheat them the next day.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Had a champeen BBQer tell me that's the way to get the best flavor from your meat anyway. Cook the night before, wrap in tin foil and freeze overnight, then just warm it up the next day. Someone explained the science behind it to me once, but I forgot. Had something to do with how fat freezes and it locking in the juices.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
long cooks I don't stress and do it the night before. So things like Pork Butt which might take 12 hours or might take 20 don't get in the way of my enjoyment. I assume 24 hours and when its done its done and I don't crutch my butts. Brisket I'll do early and I can keep it on auto pilot for many hours in a cooler. Not a big deal especially if you crutch it. Ribs I do for 3 and 3 for the most part. 3 straight up smoke, 3 in double foil with a little bit of dark beer. I don't care about snap I like them falling off the bone. Everything else is pretty easy to time.

I've been skipping the high heat on my steaks now and doing them low and slow the whole time and I like that even better than sear or reverse sear.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I've been skipping the high heat on my steaks now and doing them low and slow the whole time and I like that even better than sear or reverse sear.
I too like steaks low and slow, however I usually do a one side sear first to help keep the juices in.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
this guys review on this masterbuilt smoker is pretty banging, holy shit did you see the wheels!
Amazon.com : Masterbuilt 20075315 Front Controller Smoker with Viewing Window and RF Remote Control, 40-Inch : Patio, Lawn Garden

30in is only 260, 40in is 340 seems to be the top of the line masterbuilt smoker, the entry level Traeger starts at 400
Amazon.com : Traeger BBQ155.01 Junior Tailgating Pellet Barbecue Grill w Digital Thermostat : Patio, Lawn Garden

this is a cool video on how pellet smokers work

Behemoth_sl

shitlord
Got one of these from a Costco roadshow for 30% off retail. Love, love, love, love it. Ribs, steaks, fish, chicken, veggies, all amazing.

I also find it easier to use than standard charcoal grills due to the ability to fine-tune airflow. I can ramp it up to any temp I want between 150 and 900, close the lid and set the vents, and it will stay within +/- 5 degrees for hours.

rrr_img_103576.png
I have a Classic Joe. I like it so far. I have done Brisket, Pulled Pork, Ribs, Whole Chicken, Pork Tenderloin, Reverse Sear Steaks, and Turkey Breast. Soon I am going to try out Pizza. A few weeks ago while visiting my brother, we borrowed a plug in from the neighbor to make some ribs. They turned out fantastic, just didn't quite taste as smokey but I'm also not sure if it was all in my head. The only time I wish I bought the big joe instead of classic is when doing a lot of ribs. I can fit 6 racks of baby backs on mine. I may be able to up this to 9 if I buy the grill expander. I made 6 racks of baby back ribs for Memorial Day weekend, they got gobbled up instantly and by the end of the day people were joking about pooling up Christmas money to get me a 2nd Joe so that I can cook more ribs at a time.

I also have a Weber Genesis E-330 gas grill for the convenience factor. Low and Slow the big chunks of meat on the Joe, while I cook Corn on the Cobb and the basics like Burgers/Dogs on the Gas grill. Or if its rainy or I don't have a lot of time to mess with getting the fire going and stable I'll use the Weber.

Are you still using just Kamado Joe lump, or have you tried any other brands? I have tried the Kroger brand which is made by Royal Oak, but I found it to be way less dense. A full fire box burned to ash on a 10 hour Pork Butt on Monday, with Joe Brand I would still have >= 50% of the firebox unburnt.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Had a champeen BBQer tell me that's the way to get the best flavor from your meat anyway. Cook the night before, wrap in tin foil and freeze overnight, then just warm it up the next day. Someone explained the science behind it to me once, but I forgot. Had something to do with how fat freezes and it locking in the juices.
I don't know the science behind it either but any time I slow cook a fatty piece of meat the reheated leftovers are always better. Short Ribs, Pork Shoulder, anything fatty.

Jimmycarterwuwu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Just bought the little griddle for a reasonable cost flat top. So far very impressed, very even cook and can easily cook the wife and kids eggs and bacon for breakfast in a relatively short time. Was leaning towards the green egg, but the pain in the ass that is charcoal made me go another direction.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I got one of those knock off green egg things from Amazon this summer and its been awesome, I think its called the akorn grill or some shit. $300 free shipping. Put the thing together and did a few butts, some ribs, etc. But the best thing about it is you can use the thing as an oven in the summer so you dont heat the shit out of your house. I did a couple of braises in there covered in aluminum foil and its amazing. Works pretty well to control the temp too. I have it pretty much nailed down. Longest smoke was a butt I did for 12 hours and it consistently kept it at 250Fish the whole time. This past sat, I did up a pork roast in wine at 350F for 4 hours and it was amazing.

They do have little controllers for it, aftermarket. You set up a little 10cfm fan in the lower air baffle and hook it up to a controller, its like $150. It has wi-fi so you can connect to the computer and shit, pretty nice. I think I will get this next year for it. Then it will truly be set it and forget it. just set the temp on the controller and it does the rest.

I also bought a pizza stone for it and did a few pizza nights for the kids on it. I got the thing scorching to 600F its like real fire oven pizza. 5 min and the thing is done.

Next step is to get me a real steel wok, about 20in in diameter. You put the thing right over the coals and cook up some real ass asian.

It does not replace my weber gas grill for the day to day grilling, but its nice to whip the thing out every once in a while and do up some special shit. Very versatile.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'm making some fucking gangster steaks right now. 2 steaks, 4.73 pounds. Mother fuckers are going to be righteous when they are done. Granulated garlic, pepper and a little salt.

rrr_img_107500.jpg

Fin

rrr_img_107507.jpg