Soccer 2014 - 2015

PKS

N00b
Welcome to the new season of Soccer ! Now that the World cup is done and dusted, we can get into the serious matters of football. Sorry, couldn't wait any longer.

First point of call, welcome any new comers. Most of the discussion here is based around the teams in the Premier League and the sometimes the other leagues from Germany/Spain. Mostly Liverpool FC thanks to a bit of a fan majority on that front, also in part with such a dreadful season from Manchester United that I had very little to say over the last season.

We'll be discussing transfers, rumours, sponsorship and preseason matches which will start for many teams in a weeks time. In fact the team I support, Manchester United kicks off vs LA Galaxy in Pasadena on the 23rd!
After that, there's a small yet interesting preseason tournament in USA, with Liverpool, M.Utd, M.City, Real Madrid, AC Milan, AS Roma, Inter Milan & Olympiacos. Mostly set in a 'friendly' competitive scenario, with matches all over the States. Teams there will be trying to run out new players, combinations, reserve players looking for promotion, new managers getting to grips with the team, etc.

The season will kick off eventually on the 10th of August, with a Charity Shield match between Arsenal and Manchester City. Arsenal won the FA cup, City won the league.
Otherwise, the actual season kicks off on the 16th of August. But we are a long way off of that yet. The fixtures list are hit and miss for some, United got a great starting one this season for example. Van Gaal should be able to ease into the league with this no problem.

PKS

N00b
Anyway ! On to more important things.

On the M.Utd front:
+ Van Gaal
+ Ander Herrera
+ Luke Shaw
- Evra
- Vidic
- Rio
- Giggs
- Moyes
+ ?750m 10 year contract with Adidas for shirts! GET IN!

For perspective: Real Madrid get ?31m a year per season in comparison! They'll eventually be theonly team that might beat it, when they get a new contract but that's far away until 2020 ! This is huge for the team because of the debt management that has pretty much created the problem with squad reinvestment (culminating with Ferguson jumping ship at a timely fashion and Moyes inheriting a pile of rubble, poor dude). In the last couple of seasons they've managed to reduce the debt to a healthy amount, but it still restricted transfers in the market. United have been trailing behind in this regard compared to Bayern, Madrid, Barca, City, PSG, and it's just fortunate that they had the manager like Ferguson at the time to get by with what he had. It prevented him from having a strong starting 11 to win many knock out competitions (the last time the FA cup was won in 2003/4!!)

And what would you know, a central midfield signing in Herrera, a good one at that, can't quite wrap my head around this concept. Luke Shaw will get a lot of run outs now Evra has gone (and this was forced on by his Wife... Manchester weather?). More signings to come, surely. With Suarez off to Barcelona, it's been a good week.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
What is the Emirates Cup? It's on Arsenal's schedule. Aug 2-3. It's actually taking place while I'll be in the UK.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
What is the Emirates Cup? It's on Arsenal's schedule. Aug 2-3. It's actually taking place while I'll be in the UK.
Due to Arsenals long trophy drought their coach, Arsene Wenger, had to make up trophies for the team to win with this being one of them. There's also the 4th place trophy which they'll win again this year after teasing their fans and the league in looking like a real team for a couple of weeks before getting humiliated over and over by Chelsea and LFC.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Anyway ! On to more important things.

On the M.Utd front:
+ Van Gaal
+ Ander Herrera
+ Luke Shaw
- Evra
- Vidic
- Rio
- Giggs
- Moyes
+ ?750m 10 year contract with Adidas for shirts! GET IN!

For perspective: Real Madrid get ?31m a year per season in comparison! They'll eventually be theonly team that might beat it, when they get a new contract but that's far away until 2020 ! This is huge for the team because of the debt management that has pretty much created the problem with squad reinvestment (culminating with Ferguson jumping ship at a timely fashion and Moyes inheriting a pile of rubble, poor dude). In the last couple of seasons they've managed to reduce the debt to a healthy amount, but itstill restricted transfers in the market. United have been trailing behind in this regard compared to Bayern, Madrid, Barca, City, PSG, and it's just fortunate that they had the manager like Ferguson at the time to get by with what he had. It prevented him from having a strong starting 11 to win many knock out competitions (the last time the FA cup was won in 2003/4!!)

And what would you know, a central midfield signing in Herrera, a good one at that, can't quite wrap my head around this concept. Luke Shaw will get a lot of run outs now Evra has gone (and this was forced on by his Wife... Manchester weather?). More signings to come, surely. With Suarez off to Barcelona, it's been a good week.
LOL. Did you keep a straight face as you wrote that? Hilarious.

PKS

N00b
Of course. As we both know, United have revenue streams to match the teams I listed, but because of the debt interest repayments, they do not have the means to compete with those type of teams on the transfer market. United's transfer policy has been pretty weak in comparison. The difference with Ferguson is that he could create a squad that could win the league or at least finish top 3. It wasn't often that they would have a stronger 11 than a rival in the league... the types I feel account for the lack of cup trophies over the last decade.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
It's a good bit of fun - I went 4 years ago and saw Arsenal/Milan play. You can usually find tickets outside the stadium for cheap. Enjoy your trip, London is fantastic - note that Arsenals stadium isn't particularly close to any of the fun touristy stuff and its a hike, but easy on the tube.

Pre-season xfer related stuff - Really pleased with Arsenals business so far this summer. Snatched Sanchez during the WC, Debuchy, Ospina and one of Khedira/Schneiderlin/Bender seem on their way as well. Still no out and out #9, but I think Sanchez can score 15+ goals next season. Will be interesting to see if Ramsey can stay fit and be on form again. Arsenals best signing may turn out to be the German physio.

Manc completing that Adidas deal is ridiculous, but fair play to them - that will keep them up in the top teams in Europe for a good while (financially if not competitively). If they can somehow bring in Vidal, even without CL I'll be very impressed. He was excellent this World Cup - he and Sanchez basically carried Chile to the Brazil game by themselves. Will that be enough? Will be an interesting season ahead if they get him.

Which brings me to LFC - Perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't for the life of me understand why they aren't targeting bigger, more experienced players. LFC is sitting on a mountain of money following Suarez' departure, are in CL and have a good attacking young team. Markovic? Origi? Lallana?! Lambert?!?!? I thought the deal was, LFC was waiting on securing CL before going after bigger players - I get that they went for Sanchez and he chose someone else. Fair enough. That happens to everyone - but a team desperate for a solid mf should be doing everything in their power to snatch someone like Vidal. Someone like Kovacic, Kroos, Fabregas etc. Outside of Sanchez, they don't even seem to be trying for players in that bracket. Maybe one or all of LFC's signings/targets turns out to be good - maybe even great. Fuck, maybe even World Class - but that doesn't explain the (what seems to be) refusal to go after top class, currently brilliant players. If I was a fan, after just selling LFC's best player (by a wide margin) and coming into 80m I'd be pretty fucked off. Much like I've been fucked off at Arsenal during the xfer windows they were going after guys like Chamakh, Andre Santos and Kallstrom (last January!).

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
That happens to everyone -but a team desperate for a solid mf should be doing everything in their power to snatch someone like Vidal.Someone like Kovacic, Kroos, Fabregas etc. Outside of Sanchez, they don't even seem to be trying for players in that bracket. Maybe one or all of LFC's signings/targets turns out to be good - maybe even great. Fuck, maybe even World Class - but that doesn't explain the (what seems to be) refusal to go after top class, currently brilliant players. If I was a fan, after just selling LFC's best player (by a wide margin) and coming into 80m I'd be pretty fucked off. Much like I've been fucked off at Arsenal during the xfer windows they were going after guys like Chamakh, Andre Santos and Kallstrom (last January!).
Ah, I see we're going to perpetuate the myth again this year that LFC's midfield isn't good enough. I'm not saying Vidal wouldn't start for us but to say the midfield will be the reason we don't accomplish our objectives this year is paying short thrift to the play of who we already have plus Lallana, who makes Ozil's 42m fee look like highway robbery by Madrid when you compare their overall play last year. If you take away Suarez's goals we still scored more than anybody but ManC, LFC is going to score a shit ton of goals again this year. It's Rodgers ability to get the defense figured out which will determine if we win the title this year or not.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Of course. As we both know, United have revenue streams to match the teams I listed, but because of the debt interest repayments, they do not have the means to compete with those type of teams on the transfer market. United's transfer policy has been pretty weak in comparison. The difference with Ferguson is that he could create a squad that could win the league or at least finish top 3. It wasn't often that they would have a stronger 11 than a rival in the league... the types I feel account for the lack of cup trophies over the last decade.
Jesus, cry me a fucking river - UTD paid close to ?30m for Rio Ferdinandin 20022002!!! I bet everyone that's posted on this thread so far (except me) didn't even know what "soccer" was back then. Juan Veron for ?28m in fucking 2001. By comparison, we all know that LFC's record signing was Carroll at ?35m but that was paid for by the Torres fee, the next biggest transfers after that are Lallana at ?25m and Suarez for ?23, both of which were recently.

So early 2000s UTDs main rivals were Arsenal, and we all know how Wenger likes to build his squads. I can't believe your stupid crying has made me use Wenger as an example but it's true - Fergie was throwing the cash around and Wenger's most expensive signings around that time were Wiltord at ?13m and Henry at ?10m.

It was only Abramovich buying Chelsea that meant UTD got overtaken in terms of spending power, but regardless of how much Abramovich could spend, UTD could still spend ?90m in one year on the likes of Carrick, Hargreaves, Anderson and Nani.

Yeah, obviously City and PSG have distorted things even more, but have UTD even met PSG in Europe yet? As for Barca/Real Madrid - they benefit from a bullshit TV deal and lots of even shadier goings on, regardless, I've just proved that you have absolutely no reason to cry about UTD spending power or lack of it.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Markovic is a great player. You liverpool really know how to choose them.
So.....this topic will be 95% supporting Arsenal?

PKS

N00b
I've just proved that you have absolutely no reason to cry about UTD spending power or lack of it.
Have you? Nice confidence

There is a major reason to complain about Uniteds lack of spending power(AFTER 2005 - OF COURSE 2000 ERA WAS DIFFERENT) and you obviously know fuck all about it. I don't complain about any spending power before Glazers, and I'm a life long fan so fuck you for that.
Since Glazers took over from 2005. Did you know that United spend more on interest alone than on net transfers, for every season (other than the Ronaldo sale season - which funded debt anyway) up until 2012 (equals) ? Are you that obtuse that you would think halving or more a teams transfer budget is a thing to not complain about? Fuck man.

For more perspective: United have spent on interest alone, over ?350m since 2005. The total cost of it with repayments and the like, is over ?600m. But I suppose that figure isn't worth complaining about, right? Fuck man.
The season where United spent '?90m', please. ?30m was for both Nani & Anderson, with the Hargreaves fee (?16m?). Carrick was the previous season, but they sold players (Mikel/RVN) and had a surplus. So they went a bit over their standard ?25-?30m range (ie a Berbatov, Mata, RVP per season). And still, they managed to spend close to ?60m this year on interest alone, which was more than those transfers combined. And thats nothing to complain about, right?

More perspective: United were spending up to 75% of their profits annually on debt interest. How would any non Oil team be able to compete with that? They wouldn't. Eventually, United couldn't either after Ferguson left! Everyone knows United needed serious reinvestment in different areas of the pitch, but it never transpired. If they could afford to spend ?30m on Ferdinand in 2002! 2002!! Maybe they would have, in theory, been able to spend more than ?30, nearly 10 years later? Nope. Not until now anyway. And besides, transfer records isn't important when you need multiple players ?15m-30m range.

The difference is now United have finally addressed the debt, they had to put a part of the club out on the market and continue to use funds to lower it. But it's manageable, - they still have around ?300m? but the interest is like ?10-15m per season whilst the revenue streams have been growing extremely well, even excluding the new Adidas ?75m per season deal. Hopefully the spending doesn't end up on dividends to the share holders, or Glazer staff costs though. Pretty much out of the woods!

So yes, wheres this fucking point that you proved again?

faille

Molten Core Raider
Markovic is a great player. You liverpool really know how to choose them.
So.....this topic will be 95% supporting Arsenal?
not even close. For one, there are far more liverpool fans on the board, and secondly, most the arsenal posts will be tears directed at their own team and manager.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Blah Blah Blah, ManU didn't spend, Blah Blah Blah
3rd to ManC and Chelsea in Net, 4th in total outlay

article-2553796-1B438F5300000578-927_634x436.jpg

Edit: 5th actually to Spuds but Spuds shouldn't count as their net is so small.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Everyone knows United needed serious reinvestment in different areas of the pitch..... Maybe they would have, in theory, been able to spend more than ?30, nearly 10 years later?
?
Fellaini in Summer, Mata in the January transfer window. ?64m total, ?53m spend the previous season, ?22m season prior, and ?44m the previous season. UTD don't seem to have an issue spending cash

Yes UTD have interest to pay but my point stands - cry me a fucking river. LFC were 24 hours from administration due to worse American owners than the Glazers.

You are crying about not being able to outspend City or PSG - whilst completely ignoring the fact that for the majority of the last 15 years, UTD spending power has completely dwarfed the rest of the Premiership. Yes Russian/Arab money has transformed Chelsea/City but they have not been able to translate that spending into a run of continued success.

Moaning about the interest whilst conveniently ignoring that under the Glazers turnover has increased significantly, especially via commercial deals, is retarded.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
but the interest is like ?10-15m per season whilst the revenue streams have been growing extremely well, even excluding the new Adidas ?75m per season deal.. Pretty much out of the woods!

So yes, wheres this fucking point that you proved again?
It's right there, in bold. You pretty much agreed with me that UTD fans shouldn't be crying about their finances.

PKS

N00b
Fellaini in Summer, Mata in the January transfer window. ?64m total, ?53m spend the previous season, ?22m season prior, and ?44m the previous season. UTD don't seem to have an issue spending cash

Yes UTD have interest to pay but my point stands - cry me a fucking river. LFC were 24 hours from administration due to worse American owners than the Glazers.

You are crying about not being able to outspend City or PSG - whilst completely ignoring the fact that for the majority of the last 15 years, UTD spending power has completely dwarfed the rest of the Premiership. Yes Russian/Arab money has transformed Chelsea/City but they have not been able to translate that spending into a run of continued success.

Moaning about the interest whilst conveniently ignoring that under the Glazers turnover has increased significantly, especially via commercial deals, is retarded.
Your point does not stand. If you merely suggest that a ?600m black hole from 8 years of interest and debt repayment is offset by the commercial increase from the Glazer take over, which could in theory occur with any other debt free owner, you are simply an idiot. This shit is common sense, common knowledge to people in the football and anyone who pays attention to accountancy. Just not LFC fans. /surprise
If this is, again, acceptable to you because lesser clubs like LFC have had their own problems, or other teams can't compete with United's spending power even though severely impeded, again you are an idiot.

Guess when the debt was re-serviced? Late 2012. It's specifically between 2005-2012, where the majority of ?600m hole was formed, stifled united squad reinvestment potential and culminated in a squad which was out of it's depth, which eventually showed itself in a 7th place finish last season.

Your point is simply reduced to this: "Bla bla, United usually can outspend everyone anyway, so fuck em if they were crippled by debt - they have no right to complain!!"
The opinion of a bitter jealous rival fan. No less, no more.

PKS

N00b
It's right there, in bold. You pretty much agreed with me that UTD fans shouldn't be crying about their finances.
And I never said otherwise about CURRENT finances. Right now, it's healthy - assuming they don't take the piss with dividends & Glazer staff expenses. And with the Adidas deal and TV revenues catching up with La Liga, in a year or 2 United could be the richest team in the world. And that, sir, is why United has the muscle to compete with FFP restricted Oil clubs (or a feeble attempt at restricting) , Bayern, Madrid & Barca. The previous debt finances meant they simply couldn't, even though they were still generating revenues in line with those power house teams. Do you finally understand now?