Soccer 2017-2018

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Time to turn your national flag sideways and support us :)

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
I missed the Portugal and Argentina drama but caught a bit of todays games. Sweeden are, not pretty, but damn they are solid and gritty.

Germany, not really sure how or why the lost, they are so much fun to watch. After the Sweden win I was sure they would regroup and be kicking ass. Perhaps just offense heavy and need to buckle down to simpler basics (def could afford to trade in some offensive talent for more solid defense)?

VAR needs to die a horrible death and just go back to the less controversial *normal* reffing mistakes.

Looking forward to potentially seeing Ronaldo and Mesi play against eachother !

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Germany were absolute pants, didn't have any business beating Sweden last week anyway so no big loss. Amazing a team with that much talent can look so poor so often.

The big thing for me today was how terrible Mexico was. They were cruising in this group, and (granted, a well organized) Sweden made them look like Jamaica today. Was, and am still hoping they go far but on the face of today's performance they'll get tonked in the next round.

Been a great world cup so far as a neutral.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Maradona is being payed € 11.000 a day plus expenses to be present at the world cup.

I'd be wasted also if I scored such a deal.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So much for the "likely" Germany/Brazil R16 match up. Not how I expected it to go down, but was plenty of possibilities today for it not to happen.

Szlia

Just saw a quick recap on the metro. Is it fair to say Germany had more opportunities but that South Korea was more opportunistic? Anyway, I predicted Germany could be in trouble against South Korea after seeing how the speed of Mexico put them in trouble time and time again, but since the koreans scored on a corner, not on a fast break, I guess I was accidentally right.

EDIT: And now Serbia beats Brazil and Switzerland shit the bed against Costra Rica...

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Löw isn't Merkel, the people that are angry at him are actually able to kick him out.

I don't understand how Germany didn't manage to field a stronger team.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Löw is apparently not going to step down. What the fuck.
I bet he has a clause in his contract that says if he gets fired then he's due the rest of his contract pay. And he is the highest paid national team manager, I believe. He gets like 5 million euros per year. It would be dumb to step down and leave all that dough on the table.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Kinda sad to see Germany go at this stage, but they truly didn't deserve to go through. Hoping Switzerland can hold on tonight and go through, either Sweden or Mexico are winnable games in the next round.

Germany.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szlia

Switzerland just pissed the bed. The one who shit the bed was the french ref' who found not one but two phantom penalties in stopage time. The VAR sent him packing on the first one as it was offside in the first place, but I guess they were still high-fiving during the second...

On the up side, it had no impact on the standing and it gave us a nice goal for the comedy reel (the penalty hits the frame and then the ball bounces on the keeper's head into the net).

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Switzerland just pissed the bed. The one who shit the bed was the french ref' who found not one but two phantom penalties in stopage time. The VAR sent him packing on the first one as it was offside in the first place, but I guess they were still high-fiving during the second...

On the up side, it had no impact on the standing and it gave us a nice goal for the comedy reel (the penalty hits the frame and then the ball bounces on the keeper's head into the net).

Sascha Ruefer was pretty funny, he doesnt even try to be somewhat neutral while commentating.

Szlia

Sascha Ruefer was pretty funny, he doesnt even try to be somewhat neutral while commentating.
I would not know I watched the game on RTS not SRF! There is only one RTS commentator I like (Jean-François Develey) who is very good for games not involving the swiss team because he keeps a kind of dispassionate ironic distance that is very entertaining. In the duo today was former player Alexandre Comisetti who played in a couple french clubs during his career, and let's just say he did not have many nice things to say about the quality of the refs in Ligue 1!