Soccer 2017-2018

Razzes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, sure, France didn't "look" as good as Brazil or Belgium but at the end of the day, it's about winning the games, not looking pretty.

People keep bringing that "play to win" bullsheet. This may apply to teams of degenerates from shit-hole countries, but ffs there is more than "winning" for us civilized people. How about being honorable when representing your country, and trying to entertain? A sport is nothing without entertainement. It's also about trying to reach an idealized version of the sport, instead of repeating the same low-life tricks.

That's probably too much to ask for the 6th team of Africa.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
People keep bringing that "play to win" bullsheet. This may apply to teams of degenerates from shit-hole countries, but ffs there is more than "winning" for us civilized people. How about being honorable when representing your country, and trying to entertain? A sport is nothing without entertainement. It's also about trying to reach an idealized version of the sport, instead of repeating the same low-life tricks.

Idealized version of the sport would result in winning. I'd think, at least. But wtf do I know.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Oh fuck off, you've already admitted you don't watch the "soccerball" so take your part time fandom elsewhere

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Is that really the FoH board? I wouldn't have thought that on this forum we'd have to explain the concept of playing to win.

• 1Like

Razzes

Trakanon Raider
Football really is the sport of degenerates.

Idealized version of the sport would result in winning. I'd think, at least. But wtf do I know.

Let me help you. If a hypothetical rule says " you shall not fake". It does not mean the rule is easily applied. If a player fakes, the referee may have no way to tell. IDEALLY, you would be able to tell, and the players would not fake.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Football really is the sport of degenerates.

Let me help you. If a hypothetical rule says " you shall not fake". It does not mean the rule is easily applied. If a player fakes, the referee may have no way to tell. IDEALLY, you would be able to tell, and the players would not fake.

So you didn't see Harry Maguire of that civilized nation England do a total swan dive last game? Fuck me you're a retard.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
France eliminated the King of the Black Arts in Suarez already this tournament. While distasteful, I'll pass them today given that every other team would do the exact same thing. I'm sure had the 1-0 been reversed, we would have seen Hazard and others waste time for every slight touch as well.

Razzes

Trakanon Raider
So you didn't see Harry Maguire of that civilized nation England do a total swan dive last game? Fuck me you're a retard.
Duh, I never said that civilized nations didn't do the same. I said we should expect more from them. It's not surprising and even understandable that in shit-holes from South America or North Africa people are going to exploit to get the win in a soccerball game, but you'd expect more from a guy from England. Hence my comment that the sport tends to attract degenerates (or produces them), even from civilized nations.

• 3Cutler
  • 3Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Razzes

Trakanon Raider
Belgium players are quite bitter after their lost.

The goalkeeper Courtois (translating):« It's too bad for Football that Belgium lost. La France didnt play. They defended with 11 and counter attacked. It's their right but it is frustrating to lose against a team that is not better than us. Against Uruguay they scored on a set piece and a goalie mistake. Today it was a corner. That's football, team plays to their strengths»

At least one of them has read "playing to win"

Kompany:« We have to respect the "law of the winner". We can tell ourselves that the winning team of the world cup isn't better than us»,

• 1Salty

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

Pretty sure with the VAR and 35 cameras including drones, its possible to spot 99% of people calling unwarranted fouls.

dizzie

Triggered Happy

The goalkeeper Courtois (translating):« It's too bad for Football that Belgium lost. La France didnt play. They defended with 11 and counter attacked. It's their right but it is frustrating to lose against a team that is not better than us. Against Uruguay they scored on a set piece and a goalie mistake. Today it was a corner. That's football, team plays to their strengths»

Kompany:« We have to respect the "law of the winner". We can tell ourselves that the winning team of the world cup isn't better than us»,

Yeah Belgium are pretty salty about the whole affair. Hazard said "I prefer to lose with Belgium than win with France"

On a plus note, am looking forward to tonight!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah Belgium are pretty salty about the whole affair. Hazard said "I prefer to lose with Belgium than win with France"
That's like, very wrong, not something an actual great player would say. If you're happy with losing, you have no business at the top of the competition. Do you picture Ronoaldo saying that ? I guess it's no surprise the guy has no achievement (CL / nationnal team) He doesn't want to win badly enough to win a knockout competition

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
That's like, very wrong, not something an actual great player would say. If you're happy with losing, you have no business at the top of the competition. Do you picture Ronoaldo saying that ? I guess it's no surprise the guy has no achievement (CL / nationnal team) He doesn't want to win badly enough to win a knockout competition

It's funny because Hazard has played under a number of defence first Chelsea managers - eg Mourinho and Conte. Admittedly I only watch Liverpool matches during the regular season but last night was one of the few times I can remember being impressed by Hazard - he has a lot more attacking freedom with Belgium than he does with Chelsea.

His comments though are just salty scrub comments - that it's better to lose by playing attacking football than win with defensive tactics. If England win the world cup then nobody is going to remember they mostly did it from set pieces and penalties vs free flowing attacking football.

Pragmatism and results first is always the best approach. Admittedly there are some clubs like Man United (under Ferguson), Barca, Real Madrid etc that want the results and the good football, but they have spent enough time at the top to be able to balance both.

It's funny to see teams like West Brom sack their defensive coach Tony Pulis because they wanted better football, only to end up getting relegated (which he warned them would happen), likewise for Stoke who also replaced Pulis. Then you can see clubs like West Ham who ditched Allardyce because they supposedly have a tradition of "attacking" football

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>

to be honest, it was one of the shittiest games in this would cup. but France did what they had to, they got the go-ahead goal and then parked the bus.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
It's quite ironic for anybody that's played for Chelsea under Mourinho and then Conte to be complaining about anti-football. Both Hazard and Courtois will probably wake up today realizing those comments don't reflect too well on them but then again I've never lost a WC semifinal game so maybe it will take longer for reality to kick in. Both have played in games where they are even more negative than what France was yesterday so it's pretty laughable comments.

With that said, I do agree with part of Courtois's comments in that it would have been better for Brazil to win. Namely in that while I've been picking France, though I would have picked Brazil to beat them, I do think the way Deschamps sets up his team and uses the talent at his disposal is a disgrace and I find no joy in them winning and am concerned it will give other teams an excuse to play this way in the future. Just think if Rinus Michel's, Dutch coach for the '74 WC, just went fuck it and scrapped Total Football by playing Cruyff as a defensive winger to try to grind out games. We'd all be worse off for it even though they ultimately lost that WC, same as Brazil in '82. I expect France to win it all now but I hope they don't.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider

On a plus note, am looking forward to tonight!

Reminds me of my days as a teenager playing MTG and Warhammer and the way people would whine and say "that's cheesy!" when you beat them.

Anyway, let's go England!

• 1Worf