Soda Stream

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Is anyone using one of these? I am curious if they are worth it. If I am reading their site correctly it seems like 25 cents per soda they make. With the cost of the maker you would have to buy a lot of soda to save on can costs. How ever I notice their calorie contents are much lower by comparison.

If you do have one and like it what flavors are good?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Friend of mine has it and it tastes pretty similar to that of a soda, but without the HFCS. If you're a soda drinker and need carbonation, then you should probably get it, lol.

I was going to buy one of these until I realized they have some proprietary CO2 refilling mechanism so you can't just use normal canisters. The extra cost isn't a big deal, but I hate douche moves like that.

fris

Vyemm Raider
there's an article on gizmodo i think that showed a guy that made an attachment for the soda stream. basically, the canister can't be filled w/o a proprietary connector. so the guy just made an adapter for a standard CO2 canister (paint ball gun left overs) to fit into the soda stream. a friend at work bought one and now cycles through 2 CO2 canisters that he gets filled at Academy as needed.

i'll try to find the link, and i assume there's more than 1 vendor of this now.

edit, this looks like the adapter, dunno if same seller my friend used or not. i thought it was less than 60 bucks though:
http://www.mnn.com/food/beverages/bl...od-co2-adapter

anyways, he gets creative w/ simple syrup and anything that comes to mind. his carbonated sweet tea was really very good. he made a purple drank that i swear was welches.

Sparko

Silver Knight of the Realm
It doesn't taste like name brand soda at all.
I had one for a week and returned it because the flavors weren't even close to name brand soda. Aside from the flavors tasting like ass it did perform as advertised.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I have one and it's great. The flavors don't taste exactly like storebought soda, but they taste just fine themselves once you get used to it. A lot of the difference you're tasting is that they don't use HFCS.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I have one at home and one at the office and find them great. Yes the flavours aren't exact duplicates but they are certainly inoffensive enough that I can drink them and not care it's not diet coke or pepsi max or redbull for the savings per liter. They're also great when you have people (or especially kids) around, you don't have to keep an ass-ton of drinks on hand just have a few different syrups in the fridge and people then have a choice of what they want to drink without you having to have your fridge full of crap you likely don't drink.

Stosh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've thought about buying one, then I came to my senses. This is one of those things that seems like a good idea, until you start drinking far too much soda because you can.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
You can buy the real Coke syrup at Sam's club. It's like $70 for 5 gallons, which makes like 30 gallons of Coke. Should be like a 2+ year supply unless you're a complete Coke addict.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/coca-co...questid=254069
Sub 13 month shelf life on it. The classic variety will probably be fine after that, but the artificial sweeteners in the diet will break down long before that and leave it pretty bitter.

Public service announcement for the diet readers.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have heard you can buy it in 1 gallon quantities at beverage distributors but I can't personally verify that.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I have one. Thought it was amazing at first but you quickly grow tired of having to make yourself soda every day. Between having to resupply on co2, ordering the flavors, and cleaning out the bottles, it ends up being a bigger pain than just buying a case of soft drinks every few weeks while at the grocery store. It wouldn't be so bad if you could go gangbuster and make gallons of soda at once and then put the machine away for a month, but unfortunately the "fizz" doesn't last that long even while capped, not to mention the bottles sell for like $15.

I now only use it as backup in case I run out of real soft drinks.

Nepenthes_sl

shitlord
I use mine all the time. I don't usually buy the extracts though. I use mostly lemon or lime juice and a little sugar. Works great and the canisters last awhile. Bed bath and beyond will exchange empties, I don't mail anything.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
My son got one for Christmas. The LED lights in the front were not working, so I took off the front cover. The battery connectors were loose and once tightened all was good. The energy drink tastes just like Red Bull to me. I'm in love.....

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
This thing is amazing for someone who just likes sparkling water with a bit of fresh lime
smile.png