SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Bandwagon Bandwagon could I use that 18k lidar camera to create point cloud maps, and then have arkit reference the map using this app? Are point cloud maps pretty universal in the way the data is stored between applications/hardware?

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
giphy.gif

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I don't think it's fair to blame Elidroth and the devs for the current pitiful state of EverQuest.... ...hired the devs that slowly destroyed EQ.

If you filter out the references to Smedley, this is what's left. Are you sure you are not blaming the devs? If you want to put the blame on the middle management that kept pushing their pet projects, you should not include lines like the second half of that quote.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
In recent years the gaming industry has managed to actively run EQ, Mass Effect, Dawn of War and various other long lasting franchises into the ground.

Its not that these franchises fell out of favor with consumers, or that the concepts became outdated, people were asking for "more of the same", but the people working on these projects decided that consumers are idiots, and went through a great deal of work to not give people what they wanted.

The progression servers are probably the biggest source of revenue EQ1 has, the game might even be in beter shape if they could somehow rollback the last 15ish years of development.

Pretty strong indicator of the quality of work delivered.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Yea, GoD was an awesome expansion - everyone loved it, people were just tired of EQ.

Wait no, GoD was terrible, which caused a mass exodus towards WoW, on top of that SoE managed to cannibalize what was left of EQ1s playerbase later in 2004, by launching EQ2, which simply wasn't a sequel to EQ1, a huge mistake by itself.

Launching a shitty product in the same year your competition is launching their new game, and cannibalizing your own playerbase, in the same year .. its actually amazing EQ1 survived 2004, despite SoEs retarded moves.

In hindsight I can only conclude that SoE wanted to kill EQ1 by launching GoD in the way they did, hoping everyone would move over to EQ2 so they could focus on that game .. but of course the core game of EQ2 didn't appeal to the hardcore EQ1 crew .. which happened to be the people that bothered to struggle through GoD, so that plan failed, and they ended up with two games with a low-medium population, neither game deserving the investments necessary to compete with WoW.

That, or they were just actually full retard.

E Elidroth I'm actually curious about your view on these events, perhaps it wasn't all bad?

EQ ran out of favor with consumers like 15 years ago ;p

It absolutely didn't, notice how progression servers are still very popular these days.

The EQ of 2004 ran out of favor due to above reasons .. EQ itself did not.

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
GoD came out well before WoW's launch, OoW was the one that finished murdering the population as they raised the level cap to 70, focus scaled all the gear that raid guilds worked for, and then butchered grouping with how hard shit hit plus made everything summon.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
GoD, WoW, EQ2 was all in 2004.

The OOW group content has been praised on this board. They tried to turn it around, but they be dumb.

Eonan

Doer of Things
GoD, WoW, EQ2 was all in 2004.

The OOW group content has been praised on this board. They tried to turn it around, but they be dumb.
Agreed on OoW being a great expansion, it released one month before WoW did but the GoD damage was already done.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Since there is some 'fuzziness' on dates, here's the timeline for that era:
  • Gates of Discord launch - Feb 10, 04
  • WoW Beta - Feb 04 - can't find confirm-able date beyond Feb.
  • Guildleader Summit - Jun 5-7ish, 04
  • Omens of War launch - Sep 14, 04
  • Everquest 2 launch - Nov 8, 04
  • WoW launch - Nov 23, 04 (NA/AUS)
The mess that was GoD and WoW beta (which killed my guild in early summer when, by then, half the members got an invite) started the exodus well before WoW's launch, WoW's official launch just made it much worse.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Fixed Uqua was actually really nice to play through, but having to progress through broken Uqua before getting to that point was pure UGH

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yep wasn't GoD originally planned to raise the level cap to 70?

and rushed out the door by "corporate" or w/e rather than letting the developers give it the attention it deserved.

really, most players were casuals and still working their way through Luclin... hadn't even breached PoP yet when GoD came out. they were fools for not just riding out PoP for a bit.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
and rushed out the door by "corporate" or w/e rather than letting the developers give it the attention it deserved.

That's only half of the truth though, the rest of the story is even sleazier. GoD was deliberately pushed out earlier than the actual content developers were ready for because the bean counters still had massive hards on from being able to milk people for so much money with LoY and LDoN. SOE realized people would pay for (less than) half of an expansion, so they cut the next expansion in half and charged people for it twice.

• 1Like

Mick

<Gold Donor>
to be honest $40m is a lot more than i thought that it makes. i would have thought at the most maybe half that.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
The progression servers are probably the biggest source of revenue EQ1 has, the game might even be in beter shape if they could somehow rollback the last 15ish years of development.

Pretty strong indicator of the quality of work delivered.

Rolling back 15 years is precisely what the emus are doing, yet the official TLPs get all the play. For the life of me I can't understand this.

I'll spend 10 hours to parse statistics on a single NPC while Daybreak could merely pull up anything they need from Al'Kabor's source in minutes.

Daybreak slaps 'mitigation of the mighty' effects on raid bosses instead of taking the time to do things like implementing classic skill caps, monk fist damage, spell damage etc. Frankly calling this half-assed would be generous, yet they get plenty of subscribers. The two best emus are far more accurate and classic yet the best PoP emu hasn't broken 300 CCU. I can only conclude that players don't give a shit about mechanics accuracy. That or they don't genuinely want a classic experience and insist on instancing and mousewheel, even at the cost of putting up with all the unclassic behavior they don't like.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users