SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They are better off to do it in one fell swoop. If they do this in steps, it just drives the moral down to a shitty black hole in the office. This way they can do it all at once, get over the bullshit and continue without further worry.

Flc_sl

shitlord
As I predicted a few pages ago, Tiffany Spence/Amnerys, is OUT.

Tiffany Spence @KindaTiffy ? 22m 22 minutes ago
It's been an honor and a privilege. <3

Imagine Dexella takes over for her for EQN/Landmark. Will be interesting to see if Greg (CM, H1Z1) stays - I doubt it.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
I liked Amnerys
frown.png

Oldbased

> Than U
They are better off to do it in one fell swoop. If they do this in steps, it just drives the moral down to a shitty black hole in the office. This way they can do it all at once, get over the bullshit and continue without further worry.
You would hope that is the case. Trimming the beef 50% when you got 2 titles in alpha though seems something far more severe is planned.

Flc_sl

shitlord
Good sign for Landmark/Next.
They really only need five senior level people for EQN to maintain its vision - Georgeson wasn't the vision as many are saying on reddit. Steven Klug (technical director), Steve Danuser (content/lore), Rosie Rappaport (art), Terry Michaels (producer), and either Darren McPherson or Michael Mann (game design).

Georgeson was a total redundancy - he tried to be a hybrid of what McPherson, Danuser, and Michaels were doing, but at the end of the day he was mostly a mouthpiece. An effective mouthpiece, which is why so many tears are being shed on reddit, but it was a smart cut. If Brad McQuaid taught us anything, it's that the folks who talk about "vision" the most are rarely the ones that actually have them.

Everything 'revolutionary' about EQN was developed, designed, and WORKED on by the folks listed above. Not Georgeson.

Flc_sl

shitlord
As predicted, Colette Murphy/Dexella is in:

Colette Murphy ?@ThatColette 6m6 minutes ago
For those asking -- I am still here at Daybreak Games. It's a very hard day around here, though. Sorry if I'm quiet for a while.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm willing to bet the only 2 games Daybreak cares about is H1Z1 and Planetside 2 due to console ports.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
EQ cant be doing too bad either, not too much costs if you scrap the yearly shitty expansions. A year or so ago I went back and there were plenty of people still playing, like 10 servers or so. Cant speak on the profitablilty since EQ is also a F2P game with only exp opts and hats being sold for cash.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
They really only need five senior level people for EQN to maintain its vision - Georgeson wasn't the vision as many are saying on reddit. Steven Klug (technical director), Steve Danuser (content/lore), Rosie Rappaport (art), Terry Michaels (producer), and either Darren McPherson or Michael Mann (game design).

Georgeson was a total redundancy - he tried to be a hybrid of what McPherson, Danuser, and Michaels were doing, but at the end of the day he was mostly a mouthpiece. An effective mouthpiece, which is why so many tears are being shed on reddit, but it was a smart cut. If Brad McQuaid taught us anything, it's that the folks who talk about "vision" the most are rarely the ones that actually have them.

Everything 'revolutionary' about EQN was developed, designed, and WORKED on by the folks listed above. Not Georgeson.
I liked Georgeson, he had genuine enthusiasm for what he did, but I have to admit, I didn't totally get his position at SOE. They already had all the regular team leads for the EQ games, why did they need an additional creative director for the entire franchise? I wouldn't be terribly shocked if that redundancy, more so than anything Ponytail was actually doing, was the reason he got canned.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
EQ cant be doing too bad either, not too much costs if you scrap the yearly shitty expansions. A year or so ago I went back and there were plenty of people still playing, like 10 servers or so. Cant speak on the profitablilty since EQ is also a F2P game with only exp opts and hats being sold for cash.
There are 19 EQ servers and 18 EQ2 servers. A lot of them can be merge if you track the population overtime.

Flc_sl

shitlord
Looks like Emily is still in. Which is a total fucking shock, frankly. If you have to choose between two senior level folks in Dave and Emily, you keep Dave every time. Only way this makes sense is if they gut the senior level folks on EQ/EQ2 and move Emily back there.

Emily (Domino)
?@pentapod
Your good wishes and positivity towards those we had to let go are much appreciated. (Save the negativity for another day please!)