SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I still think he got taken in by ass-kissers. But at the end of the day it's his job to cut through that bullshit and get results. I told him he needed to get rid of those people and clean house after the 2nd stop start.
I've talked to Smed a lot over the years, and one thing I know about him is that he gives his people a lot of leeway. He doesn't seem to want to disrupt innovation. So they have a lot of leeway. Giving employees carte blance is fine, but you have to measure results. It seems as if he gives too much power, but doesn't hold them accountable.

Love ya Smed, but I'm calling it how I see it.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How much time do you think it would take you to be in 300+ peoples business down to every detail every day? That's not quite how running a company works.

This guy doesn't make the games.. he hires people to make games. Which is why he fired a ton of people because they weren't doing what he hired them to do. Albeit far later than he probably should have.
Are you really trying to let Smed off the hook here? Lol.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Are you really trying to let Smed off the hook here? Lol.
Not at all, he has less control over the company than I'm personally comfortable with. For fucks sake he said h1z1 isn't an MMO on twitter and it's still advertized as one.

Perhaps this move will get him out of the dark. Which I'm sure he's in on a lot of these projects.

Smed: "Hey how's EQN Coming along"
Smokepumper: "Pretty good"
Smed: "Great see you next week"

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
How much time do you think it would take you to be in 300+ peoples business down to every detail every day? That's not quite how running a company works.

This guy doesn't make the games.. he hires people to make games. Which is why he fired a ton of people because they weren't doing what he hired them to do. Albeit far later than he probably should have.
To be fair, he's had a lot of games to keep track of, and that's made even harder to do when you report to Japan in person.

Remit_sl

shitlord
I find Smed's handling of the H1Z1 early access release to be the most interesting part of the puzzle. Maybe I am wrong, but I dont EVER remember that sweaty sack of shit being as involved or interacting with consumers on anywhere near this level. He knew the shit train was coming, and packed his shit locomotive with as much shit coal as he could to shit steam away from the field that were all getting shit canned.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I find Smed's handling of the H1Z1 early access release to be the most interesting part of the puzzle. Maybe I am wrong, but I dont EVER remember that sweaty sack of shit being as involved or interacting with consumers on anywhere near this level. He knew the shit train was coming, and packed his shit locomotive with as much shit coal as he could to shit steam away from the field that were all getting shit canned.
Smed was real involved with Planetside 2 to my memory.

tad10

Elisha Dushku

You're defending the guy who ran his company from #1 in market into an also ran? That's not how running a company well works.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've talked to Smed a lot over the years, and one thing I know about him is that he gives his people a lot of leeway. He doesn't seem to want to disrupt innovation. So they have a lot of leeway. Giving employees carte blance is fine, but you have to measure results. It seems as if he gives too much power, but doesn't hold them accountable.

I don't beleive this is the case. One of the issues with ponytail was how he shouted down employees during meetings. Basically ending any creative conversation. No innovation in that. Sounds like SoE was a boys club and Smed was the king.

tad10

Elisha Dushku

By all accounts Smed has had a small coterie of folks he liked and that's who got promoted so you get idiots like Thom Terrazas as EQ Producer. #NotWinning

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I still think he got taken in by ass-kissers.
The people around him don't tell him what's really going on, they tell him what they want him to hear. For instance, in DCUO, speed hacking ruined the game for awhile. Both in PVE and PVP, it was ridiculous. It didn't even make sense to PVP, as there were so many cheaters. Cheaters could kill you in two seconds, as they were hitting for 5-10x damage. I remember, I was in an email chain with Smed, the head CS guy, and the Lead Dev of DCUO at the time over the issue. The Head CS guy was bragging to Smed about how they found a way to stop the cheaters. It was like a 300 word essay on how sophisticated it was. I told them that they did a great job, but as I was reading their email, I was speed hacking to prove a point. There was no answer after that.

Do you know that the Head CS went through all of my posts on DCUO, and found a reason to ban me from posting for a week? And it had nothing to do with speed hacking itself, it was some random and unenforced rule. It was the first time I've been banned from any boards. Certainly, I'd posted on EQ since launch. It was retaliation for calling bullshit on the CS guy.

There are too many of that type of people that work over there. Let's lie to Smed and say it's fixed, because we really have no idea how to fix this game breaking bug. They lost a lot of subs over the speed hacks. You had to cheat to be competitive on raids, because the scorecard would show who was lacking. And PVP was ruined.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Smed was real involved with Planetside 2 to my memory.
Yes he was. All over the streams, answering questions and garnering feedback. The problem is, once released Smed was gone. Where was he answering questions then? To me that smells like a worthless marketing campaign. "See the CEO really cares about his games"

Flc_sl

shitlord
I don't beleive this is the case. One of the issues with ponytail was how he shouted down employees during meetings. Basically ending any creative conversation. No innovation in that. Sounds like SoE was a boys club and Smed was the king.
That's interesting - I'd like to hear more about that (re: Georgeson's behavior) because I've heard the opposite. The narrative I've been told is that EQN was a trainwreck and it was Georgeson who hit pause and said: "Let's do something radically different." None of the ideas - fully destructible world, emergent AI, changing world, etc - came from him (most of that was Talisker), but he created the space for those ideas to be put out on the table. That's what I've been told, at least, so your own information is surprising to me Convo. (Not saying it isn't true - just that I haven't heard it and would like to learn more.)

Remit_sl

shitlord
Yes he was. All over the streams, answering questions and garnering feedback. The problem is, once released Smed was gone. Where was he answering questions then? To me that smells like a worthless marketing campaign. "See the CEO really cares about his games"
And this was likely during a time when SOE was fielding offers for a sale correct? My point still stands then.

Flc_sl

shitlord
This. The guy never did shit. Christ, he even used the same city names. McQuaid is a master con-artist. I feel bad for the folks that really deserve credit for EQ but never got it.

You know what's funny? The same mismanagement within SOE is the SAME shit that happened over at Zenimax Online. Replace Smedley with Firor - Replace Butler with Sage.

Jesus get these people the fuck out of the industry.
I actually think Paul Sage is a fairly talented design mind - far more than Butler - but some of the design decisions at the core of TESO were just fucking absurd. You have one of the greatest open-world sandbox franchises in history and so you focus your efforts and finances on porting over the linear story aspects that were ignored in the single player installments by a massive percentage of the playerbase, break the seamlessness of the world, and incorporate a restrictive class system that was called out for being broken and ill-advised on the very first day of external alpha testing? Stupid.

As for Firor, he's one of the laziest people in the industry, and everyone knows it.

And per Brad, yeah - Freeport is a 1:1 copy of the City of Waterdeep in Sojourn. Same streets. Same shops. Same docks. Same layout. But that was less impactful on the overall design of the game than the fact he copied the exact same grouping mechanics, classes, and skills. Everything people loved about Everquest - the death system, the dark nights, contested spawns, unique utility spells for each class - all that shit was a direct copy/paste from Sojourn.

The fact that he's never truly admitted it and shouts from his soapbox about his vision is testament to what a slimeball he is.