SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Vitality

HUSTLE
Terry Michaels for EQN, Dave said as much.
Good that guy knows what's going on with the game at least *see my reference to the post about him having to explain stuff being developed to Georgeson on camera during last weeks landmark video*

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
pretty much this. The people working on the game know that producers and executives dont know shit about the internal operation of the game and are forced to take people on their words.
And that's fine, but it needs to be run more like a business. I own a business now. I sometimes let employees go off the reservation, but then I measure results. I tell them that maybe they shouldn't make that choice again.

If I give devs room to make their decisions, and revenues keep dropping, we would have more in depth meetings about what is going on, and what needs to be fixed. You can BS all you want, but what are the results? I know for awhile, when revs were dropping, devs would tell Smed it was because the players jumped ship to game X. Some of that is true, but you can't blame the new MMO for all of your woes. For awhile, I got the impression that they weren't being proactive, and just said revs are bad because the new MMO of the month. Because that's all I heard when I would give substantive fixes. I'd get answers back like, sorry, but Rift took everyone, or we don't need more content, because we are going F2P. Newsflash: F2P is not the cure to all your problems, SOE.

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
It's called right place at the right time and given now what we know about this genre and subscription caps "Market is capped at 500k" like McQuaid previously stated to cover his own ass when his team couldn't finish half an expansion on a schedule making sure top tiered guilds had their awesome rewards of "This isn't fucking even finished let's make up some bullshit excuse", we saw countless ways to introduce new game mechanics which were wildly more successful than EQ ever was. And let's not kid ourselves. While EQ boasted about 200-300k before topping out around 430 or so, it could have been mounds upon mounds better had they shipped shit that worked and wasn't bugged to hell and back without them doing one damn thing about it. From unfinished loot tables, unfinished character models, artificial bugs to block players, while still reaping the revenue from the box sales and subscriptions 6 months post launch of said expansion. It was damn near criminal what was happening to the consumers.

McQuaid didn't account for shit in this genre. He stole lore, took creative responsibility, while the majority of the worker bees over at 989 did all the work to realize the end result of a Text Mud someone else had already created. So bull-fucking-shit to your comment trying to defend this ass clown as a hero of the genre. The only thing he is a hero of is creating management ineptitude which then proceeded to spread across development companies forming a blackhole of innovation right up until yesterday when the remainder of the "breeded for failure" monkeys got shipped out to misfit island where they should have been since 2002.

Three misfits remain spread across two companies. Matt Firor and Paul Sage at Zenimax Online, and Rich Vogel over at Battlecry.

Send the Russians over there too while we are at it.

And then let's pray for those that love this genre as much as we do, that an indie firm can bring it back from the dead. Because right now, I guarantee you, the people that got let go yesterday, the few remaining in their posts, and some relics falling all over themselves on kickstarter, are the ones that twisted the knife. I'd be surprised if it ever comes back after this mess these idiots put us all in.
The thing is, he doesn't even claim to be the hero. He has even said "right place right time" himself. I don't know why people try so hard to vilify this dude. EQ, even with people being paid a fraction of what they are in the industry today, was still ahead in terms of quality to that of modern games at launch and the expansions he was a part of were well ahead of the curve, even by modern standards by big budget studios. I'd venture to say not more than 15% of the playerbase had completed all the content in classic-velious before another expansion was dropping.

After its all said and done, "some things that should not have been forgotten were lost", and he is just one of the guys in the industry that still remembers. He has eaten humble pie so many times and yet people still won't let up. For all his supposed ineptitude, he still demonstrates an understanding of what it takes to make a good game, and he even says exactly where he got the understanding from.

The real ass clowns are people who won't let it go. You're doing a disservice to the genre by repeatedly shitting on a guy who actually has the wherewithal to make another mmo worth playing.

bwuceli_sl

shitlord
The thing is, he doesn't even claim to be the hero. He has even said "right place right time" himself. I don't know why people try so hard to vilify this dude. EQ, even with people being paid a fraction of what they are in the industry today, was still ahead in terms of quality to that of modern games at launch and the expansions he was a part of were well ahead of the curve, even by modern standards by big budget studios. I'd venture to say not more than 15% of the playerbase had completed all the content in classic-velious before another expansion was dropping.

After its all said and done, "some things that should not have been forgotten were lost", and he is just one of the guys in the industry that still remembers. He has eaten humble pie so many times and yet people still won't let up. For all his supposed ineptitude, he still demonstrates an understanding of what it takes to make a good game, and he even says exactly where he got the understanding from.

The real ass clowns are people who won't let it go. You're doing a disservice to the genre by repeatedly shitting on a guy who actually has the wherewithal to make another mmo worth playing.
Get ready for some flak...

bixxby

Molten Core Raider

Because he's a dream salesman that delivers a sock full of moldy dog shit.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I am doing a service by making sure this idiot stays where he remains. Off the circuit and back into the nether. Along with all the other misfits that destroyed this genre. And if you think Pathanevergonnahappenanon is going to be an MMORPG worth playing, you are either trolling and you baited me well, or you are just as fucking delusional as McQuaid is and a self righteous apologist for the misfits. Or this is a spoof account for one of the misfits heading on their boat to the island.

If you aren't the second, don't be a misfit. And don't defend the indefensible.

We saw what happened when SOE was in charge of the genre in 1999. We saw the sub numbers. We saw Blizzard and what happened with WoW, and we saw the sub numbers. We then saw what happened again when misfit Vogel and misfit Walton came roaring back with SWTOR and how that game turned out. We saw Misfit Firor and Misfit Sage come back again and we saw how TESO turned out.

Common denominator of misfits, and one where there aren't any misfits.

Put two and two together.

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
Get ready for some flak...
I'm sure. I know exactly what McQuaid has done, all his failings, alleged drug use, borrowed ideas, mismanaging games and character flaws. I'm tired of clowns running around acting like they have some hidden wisdom that demands we continue bashing this dude like everything about him isnt front row center.

I just want people who remember the things that made enjoyable mmos and muds to make them. I don't care if he is developing them in a pedobear costume with kidnapped children sitting in his lap.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
McQuaid didn't account for shit in this genre. He stole lore, took creative responsibility, while the majority of the worker bees over at 989 did all the work to realize the end result of a Text Mud someone else had already created. So bull-fucking-shit to your comment trying to defend this ass clown as a hero of the genre. The only thing he is a hero of is creating management ineptitude which then proceeded to spread across development companies forming a blackhole of innovation right up until yesterday when the remainder of the "breeded for failure" monkeys got shipped out to misfit island where they should have been since 2002.

Three misfits remain spread across two companies. Matt Firor and Paul Sage at Zenimax Online, and Rich Vogel over at Battlecry.

Send the Russians over there too while we are at it.

And then let's pray for those that love this genre as much as we do, that an indie firm can bring it back from the dead. Because right now, I guarantee you, the people that got let go yesterday, the few remaining in their posts, and some relics falling all over themselves on kickstarter, are the ones that twisted the knife. I'd be surprised if it ever comes back after this mess these idiots put us all in.
Isn't it the CEO's job to sort through all ideas, and bring them to fruition? You get all sorts of divergent ideas, some great, some good, some bad. A good CEO only surrounds himself with people smarter than he is. In the end, he gets the credit, because he's the guy that greenlit the idea(s).

Also, in your opinion, do you think the dead weight is gone from DB? Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the future for DB? Honestly, if we are to believe that EQN has been in development for seven years and hundreds of millions have been spent, someone needed to cut through the bloat.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One thing I took away from the pantheon project was how split people were with Brad and what credit he's due. I've had devs from the original team tell me stuff but were split on what credit Brad deserves.

After my interactions with him, I can't help but think it was luck, a little him and some other people stepping up and making things happen. Brad was a pretty big disappointment for me. He's not a leader and has an amazing ability to make you feel like he's on another planet half the time. He just comes off so disconnected to what is actually going on. Not to mention he needs to pointed in the right direction. I'm socked the people working with him are still there. He's very frustrating to deal with. Between his out of touch comments(hello mini map) to his disappearing acts, it gets old fast.

symbelmyne_sl

shitlord
funny revisionist BS. Were you alive back when work was being done on EQ? you know the days of BBS chatrooms, AOL, Dialup, and MUDs ...before every computer had a 3D card. Your rant reeks of jealousy. I suppose you also have an axe to grind with Zuckerberg, Anderson, Musk, and those dude who made Candy Crush. I appreciate the fact you refer to us as worker bees, mindless drones who did not realize EQ had heavy roots in MUDs. you have exposed yourself as not living in those times. and if you were alive then, you were most certainly were not cognizant of the technology and the gaming industry of that day. your "third of mouth" recollection of what happened at 989, Verant and SOE is just that. 3rd party BS.