SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
See Sony...errr Daybreak! There is a market for old school servers. You'll have literally tens of dozens of people lining up!

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
See Sony...errr Daybreak! There is a market for old school servers. You'll have literally tens of dozens of people lining up!
Small relative to other games, but the progression servers always killed the current live servers in population. Seeing 1000 players in Gfay on launch was a true sight to behold.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It was a mess last time they had one for sure. 75.88% of the population were magicians because the pets were fucking OP as fuck in the low end game. The lowbie zones were camped to all hell, corpses evrywhere, just too many fucking people.
And then after chain casting earth pets stopped working, SKs with their OP harm touch ruled for a while!

It had it's problems, and I was on Vulak (EoE rep rep++), but it was still some of the best times I've had in EQ overall. I hope they do it again.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
1450 total concurrent (p99 and p99red) might not have been on their radar at the time as far as market competition.
Not a consideration at all. We've had some technical things we've wanted to change with the way progression servers work, and they just haven't been a high enough priority. We've wanted to do a progression server for quite a while.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Not a consideration at all. We've had some technical things we've wanted to change with the way progression servers work, and they just haven't been a high enough priority. We've wanted to do a progression server for quite a while.
Elidroth, I appreciate you guys doing this and I believe it is good timing. Looking forward to details.

Crone

Why? Maybe this is an ignorant question, but why would a progression server not be high enough priority? Have the previous progression servers not been considered a success?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I'm assuming they have to show "forward" success or progress (i.e. expansions, updates, content releases, and attending to their selling features such as cash shop, player studio, etc.).

Really their progression servers generate the most hype in my opinion but I guess they have to keep moving forward.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I find it hard to believe that any kind of expansion they could slap on the ass of EQ at this point in it's life could ever attract as many people as a new progression server.

Titan_sl

shitlord
Elidroth, maybe you can correct me if im wrong. During an SoE live, they said it costs something like $10 for every petition thats answered(Averaged out i guess?)...

I dont know if you guys raided on Mayong, or Fippy, but it was a petition shit storm. From a CS standpoint, i would NEVER want another progression server. From a fanbase point, it would probably be pretty good for the first 3 months. Problem is, every expansion, progression servers lose quite a bit of population, because people are like QQ i dont want to do anything past Kunark. Its just one of those things

Vitality

HUSTLE
Yeah I mean, you're talking to the right guys, I'll probably see about buying into this. Keep us updated if you don't mind.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Personally I prefer progression server unlock by time frame, not some guilds managed to finish the end raid within that tier.

axeman_sl

shitlord
1450 total concurrent (p99 and p99red) might not have been on their radar at the time as far as market competition.
I'm fairly confident that if the issue of endgame congestion/cockblocking was fixed, say by releasing three or four servers for the ultra-poopsockers to spread out on, those numbers would easily be quadrupled or more. In fact, I'm quite certain 10k+ people would play on official, supported true-classic servers. The fact that every square inch of worthwhile content is under permanent lockdown and the raid scene is an institution for socially handicapped manchildren is by far the most oft-cited reason for people quitting P99, and there would be far, far more than 1500ish players if this were not the case.

Crone

Except wouldn't just as many quit because everywhere else is a ghost town? Guild competition was what was most fun on the progression servers. You really think it would be more successful if more servers were opened? Why? So more people can pretend to be bad ass and be top guild on their own server? Leveling up, to try and be in a top guild, to compete against the other top guilds is what made it so much fun, IMO. Maybe I'm in a minority, but I don't think so.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Lets be honest here all you guys want is EQ with a new graphics engine.
Like this?

rrr_img_90845.jpg

rrr_img_90846.jpg

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Lets be honest here all you guys want is EQ with a new graphics engine.
If it was that or nothing? Sure, I think we would be happy...but i really liked the direction they were heading with eq3. It sounded like they actually were making the right game. Too bad they managed to fuck that up too. :-/