SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
It's a shame we can't get Norrath revisioned. I would like to see Norrath.... 1999 Norrath, not post apocalyptic Norrath. I'm sure they could tell (or retell) the story from a different perspective.

You have to think though... how many out of the 500K (at its peak) would this be meaningful? I would hope that it would at least attract half of those subs plus an average of a friend or two a piece just out of curiosity. I guess it would really depend how you measured success but I think it could easily bring 1 million if marketed correctly and assuming that actually make a solid game.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
An EQ2 progression server would be so easy zzzz

Having done all the raids when they came out, and remembering all the dumb xp spots and stuff. Yeah, zzzz

ixian_sl

shitlord
An EQ2 progression server would be so easy zzzz

Having done all the raids when they came out, and remembering all the dumb xp spots and stuff. Yeah, zzzz
My biggest problem with doing a progression server was just the amount of time it would take to get it actually feeling like one. That's time taken away from working on live servers, to create something that would also take away from the population of live servers (I doubt many people would return for an EQ2 progression server, I don't think the same sense of nostalgia exists like for EQ1).

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
An EQ2 progression server with broken buff stacking, shards upon death, group xp penalty and massive breeze aggro for enchanters? Ahh the good old days! What fun it was breezing an entire Darathar raid and running to the other end of the zone to watch him chase after you and one shot you lol.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
With the relatively cheap cost of servers due to virtualization technologies it seems like it would be easy enough to open several progression servers and then consolidate them as activity declines.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Transcript from official forums, here's what was said:

Dex: Are we still working with storybricks

Terry: The answer is no, we made the decision that it was in the best interests of the game to take that work in-house. They did a lot of work for us and we're going to be utilising that. It's not like any of that is lost. But we no longer have a working relationship with storybricks

Dex: What are the plans for AI and what we've talked about with AI in both Landmark and EQN?

Darren: So, AI and the construction of AI... let's talk about the user generated content first. That is still very important to us. We are still committed to making that happen so that so that you, the players can create content for other players to enjoy. and building Ai and making those NPC react and act in a way that you would like them too is still a part of this. We're definitely doing that.

Internally, we're going to be developing all the things that we promised, all the things we talked about, those are still our goals, those are still our plans. Nothing's changed.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's funny but they need to understand this is thier last shot. If they don't get thier shit together and start acting like a real company with a clue theyre all gonna be out of work. I have no confidence in these guys at this point.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
What a windfall for pantheon if these guys all get laid off.
Smed working for.. Mcquaid? That would be amazing. I wonder if he could avoid the parking lot layoffs (do they even have a parking lot?)

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Getting fired in the parking lot is sooo yesterday.
Todays hipster devs get fired in the full development office (right next to the CEOs Ferrari)!

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm currently behind a firewall. Are they really saying no more storybricks? They are left with nothing I guess: no trinity, no storybricks, just voxels and parkour. This is going to end well (not).
All the work that Storybricks the company did is still being used. They are no longer using Storybricks for further development of... Storybricks... and will be continuing that work in house. The confusion is that the AI system and the company share the same name.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
As much as I want to believe that they now have awesome Storybricks AI/tech to develop further, to me it sais that Storybricks was a dead end and that they are now just going to develop the umptiest version of un-interesting NPC AI in order to liven up their world.

I think I can dial the hype-meter back to where it was once we actually could experience the much hyped "Radiant AI" for Oblivion. Even though that was kinda nice in a way. At least shops closed and opened(I think).

Tol_sl

shitlord
As much as I want to believe that they now have awesome Storybricks AI/tech to develop further, to me it sais that Storybricks was a dead end and that they are now just going to develop the umptiest version of un-interesting NPC AI in order to liven up their world.
Yeah, for some reason I'm getting the "just a marriage, your name changes but everything stays the same!" vibe on the AI. They hyped that so hard for the last...what, 2-3 years? Telling us they're strangling the main source of hype in the crib seems like an awful idea.