SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Stosh

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It may be more about cutting ties with Sony. Could be some type of stipulation stated in the acquisition.
SOE/Daybreak is the only tenant at their current complex. There are no Sony engineers down the hallway trying to invent the next Walkman, minidisc or trinitron TV, and no film execs trying not get their email hacked. The SOE signs were taken down within days of the sale.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
The p99 thing is a really nice gesture. In the modern era where spending money on a game is more optional, it helps to be kindly regarded.

(or even amiable, or warmly, or ally!)

Anyway, faction standing increase etc

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
By nice gesture, you mean from the p99 guys? They are postponing an expansion release to be nice to daybreak.

Have they really ever gone after emus? Maybe they have idk but it seems like a nonstarter. If they weren't going to under sony they certainly aren't going to on their own. Basically a popular emu would of interfered with their planned release progression server and they hand over an olive branch fist bump and get them to postpone the release on the emu.

I just don't see what the p99 guys gain other good will with a dying company.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I thought I heard that Blizzard shut down some emus before, but I didn't care enough about it to actually validate the claims.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I mean, he has a point about the vaporware bit, SOE has always delivered. Broken, non-functional, non-itemized, cock-blocked, whatever; No matter how much the product begged not to be delivered, it was still delivered!
smile.png

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
Gamasutra - Q&A: What's next for Daybreak, now that Sony's MMO studio is on its own

So you don't have maybe the same space to fail, but you have more options for ways to produce revenue?

Smedley:
Yeah. Here's an example: Sony companies are run with a headcount. You budget your headcount, and that's what you have to stick to for the entire year.

As Daybreak, we've already had a conversation with our new owners about whether we can go get new people if we need them. And it's absolutely an enthusiastic "Get the people you need to do the job."So we've already started calling back a number of people from the layoff, who are definitely our first choices.
The return of Ponytail? lol

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
SOE/Daybreak is the only tenant at their current complex. There are no Sony engineers down the hallway trying to invent the next Walkman, minidisc or trinitron TV, and no film execs trying not get their email hacked. The SOE signs were taken down within days of the sale.
From what I heard form people working there they had been hoping to move to a new building even prior to the sale so it may just be the completion of something that had been planned fora while.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I bet the people on the Google Hangout at Pantheon just heard a chair squeak, a door slam, and a car peel out as Brad drove back to Smed.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Hmm how do I make a game where I can make people pay me to hire them to make content for it?
That's not the right idea.

You Kickstart your game and get players to back it then soon after, you open the game's store and sell game items to those same players while the game itself is years away from being finished.

Smed has yet to reach that level of Crowfall pimphood.

Japanfour_sl

shitlord
That's not the right idea.

You Kickstart your game and get players to back it then soon after, you open the game's store and sell game items to those same players while the game itself is years away from being finished.

Smed has yet to reach that level of Crowfall pimphood.
DBG bout to get hood rich