Solasta: Crown of the Magister

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Skelly_005 said: This nails the feel of tabletop in a way that most CRPG's can't.

What you think it is ? I feel the same way its like my PnP game I have going. The 4 people talking to NPC is a big piece i think.

Last edited by a moderator:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
What you think it is ? I feel the same way its like my PnP game I have going. The 4 people talking to NPC is a big piece i think.
Its focus is on the systems and play experience that comes from them, whereas the other games just use them in the background.

It is unapologetic about being a d&d game, and doesn't try to hide all the nerdy stuff behind flashyness or UI elements. Look at Bg3 combat and how you have to go digging into an otherwise hidden combat log to see your combat rolls.

They set out to make a d&d 5e game, rather than make an RPG that just uses the ruleset because it needs to.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So having not played d&d, would I be complete shit at this game?

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Well I played this a bit and Bg3 a bit. Solasta is more D&D by 1000 over Bg3. Its funny that Solasta = SRD and BG3 = WOTC licensed and doesn't even feel like D&D at all.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
Winter update is expected Dec 14th

• 1Like

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Interesting development, Solasta releases tools for community Dungeon Creation :

I would really like to see a modern nwn/nwn2 alternative for the community creating content.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Wow this looks pretty cool. Kinda of what I have been looking for.
Next time this goes on sale I am buying it

thanks for the thread

• 1Like

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
1620142356041.png

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Gave this to a friend who loves RPGs. He told me I had wasted my money. Compared to other titles such as BG3 it was a pile of shit.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I play every iso-rpg that I can get my hands on and when I tried the beta for Solasta, I really enjoyed it. It's a fantastic game given how tiny the dev team is.

I'll be buying it on day 1.

• 1Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Gave this to a friend who loves RPGs. He told me I had wasted my money. Compared to other titles such as BG3 it was a pile of shit.

I haven't played, but added it to my wishlist. But remember watching someone who played it when it first released. Made an analogy which was basically that BG3 is like D&D built upon the foundation of the Divinity gameplay. Looks great, but the D&D aspect is toned down to fit the "masses". The foundation is a "game" with D&D added to it.

While Solasta is more akin to D&D as the foundation and the game is added on top of it.

Granted I've only played some of BG3, and while not knowing that much of D&D, I feel I can start it up and play it. Solasta looks like a game where knowing D&D is much more beneficial than in BG3. Probably why so many of the reviews of the EA version of Solasta reference that it's very "D&D". A game where knowledge of mechanics enable you to make builds that are broken in terms of power, while not knowing them will make it near impossible to progress by making bad choices in terms of character builds. I expect BG3 to be way more lenient/balanced in that regard, even on the hardest settings.

At a 92% rating currently, I doubt it's a pile of shit, but I certainly think its in your face use of the D&D ruleset makes it more niche compared to games with the funds to hide much of it under the hood so to speak. I'm looking forward to the game, but also expect that I will have a hard time with it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Bought this and started it up. Rough around the edges but the gameplay scratches a certain itch. It does really well at actual tabletop emulation as opposed to CRPG gamification of tabletop.

It's like The Temple of Elemental Evil in that way. Technical gameplay like this can be fun sometimes. The story is okay. It's straight-up something that you'd get in a homebrew tabletop campaign. Which I like.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users