Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Solo-Shirt-Front.jpg

Solo-Shirt-Back.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
apparently there is only 3 weeks of filming left too (primary, then lots of VFX work and some reshoots later on) but this whole thing seems fucked up lol

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I have no idea how you lose the director near the end of principal shooting ... Like who the hell is directing it in the meantime and how can they reconcile the creative differences if the damn footage is already shot?

Do you halt production and then come back and reshoot things? If its dire enough that you part ways with the directors I doubt this is something you can just address in the editing of the cut

Royal

There goes the only reason I was interested in this movie.

I won't say it was my only reason but they as directors were the biggest thing putting my mind to ease on a movie that I have some misgivings on being made in the first place.

Lucasfilm is starting to develop some serious cracks in their armor on the directorial front. The reshooting of a massive chunk of Edward's Rogue One by fixer Tony Gilroy, Colin Trevorrow directing a stinker in Book of Henry as his lead in to his work on Ep. IX, and now this.

Last edited:

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
Updated: Lord and Miller Fired From Star Wars: Han Solo. Ron Howard frontrunner to take over directing. | Making Star Wars

Now, Variety is exclusively reporting that the directing duo known for hits like 21 Jump Street and the Lego Movie were fired after months of conflict on the set.

A person with knowledge of the production said that the chemistry between the directors and Kennedy was never right.

“It was a culture clash from day one,” the source said. “She didn’t even like the way they folded their socks.”

The directing pair also apparently clashed with the film’s writer, Star Wars veteran Lawrence Kasdan.

Like Kennedy, he questioned many of the pair’s directing choices.

“Kathy, her team and Larry Kasdan have been doing it their way for a very long time. They know how the cheese is made and that’s how they want it made,” said the source. “It became a very polarizing set.”

Variety is reporting that Lord and Miller did not exit voluntarily but were fired. The article also goes on to say some Hollywood insiders believe Kennedy is looking to hire “indie” directors but ultimately not give them creative control.

The Hollywood Reporter is now saying that Ron Howard may be taking over completion of the film due out in May of next year.

Royal

I have no idea how you lose the director near the end of principal shooting ... Like who the hell is directing it in the meantime and how can they reconcile the creative differences if the damn footage is already shot?

Do you halt production and then come back and reshoot things? If its dire enough that you part ways with the directors I doubt this is something you can just address in the editing of the cut

It depends on what the root of those "creative differences" were. I have a notion but it's completely speculative and unsupported by anything beyond my own musings. Someone will probably let the reasons start slipping out soon enough.

But yeah they reshoot and patch in their corrections. If they still have any action centric pieces, the type of stuff a second unit would normally shoot, they'll probably work on those until the new director shows up. And they may very well push the release out since this one was slatted for May next year.

If Kasdan had issues with the decisions L&M were making to the point of contributing to a parting of ways they should just let him direct it. He's directed before and this movie has always been his baby.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
A person with knowledge of the production said that the chemistry between the directors and Kennedy was never right.

“It was a culture clash from day one,” the source said. “She didn’t even like the way they folded their socks.”

A real jaw-dropper.

Someone had the balls to stick it to Kennedy and an example is made. Stick to hiring cucks.

Xevy

Log Wizard
I can see both sides of this. Lord and Miller are great for their comedies, but Kennedy wants Indiana Jones type Han Solo, not 21 Jump Street Han Solo. I think she may actually be right, but it sounds like they already basically did the entire fucking movie, so why they'd fire them now seems stupid. I would've watched either versions of this movie, but I think the sarcastic, unwilling hero type movie is probably the better play to fit into the SW universe.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Alright so I did some digging and I guess this is not a pitchforks for Kennedy case.

It is exceedingly rare for a director to clash (read: never) so much with the producer that they are fired during the movie itself.

The phrase "low class, self indulgent little infants" is being used to describe Christopher Miller and Phil Lord's behavior. And that may very well end up being the case, as far as Hollywood culture goes. The fuller picture comes to Kennedy's defense here-- on class and principle alone.

This is just something that should NOT happen, and it could very well damage both of their careers. This split was not amicable. They fucked up. You don't do this to a major studio. Miller and Lord both know that, they have a lot of big studio experience-- but they had to make it personal. There will be lasting effects on them for this.

They got themselves fired trying to turn the set into a party-like atmosphere after having been talked to several times politely about the vision for the movie and the process needed to accomplish that vision.

When Gareth Edwards wanted to show people his version of a shot, he shot it when he had time to shoot it because he made time to shoot his own take. HUGE difference in respect for the production, the cast, and the crew here.

The twat brothers weren't even listening from Day 1. They have ceremoniously wasted everyone's time and money with their progressive disrespect.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Could be a culture clash caused by a generation gap. That director for that shit ass Fantastic Four movie shit on his own movie and got fired by Lucasfilm before he even started to work on the unamed Star Wars Project. Now two other young directors are having issues. I think they do give them guidelines and expect certain things.

They are probably both in the wrong with Lucasfilm just grabbing a hot name and not actually figuring out what those directors want to actually do and the directors for thinking creative freedom means YOLO with a billion dollar IP.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
So we're siding with the people that haven't even made a decent Star Wars movie yet? This pile is going to be a trainwreck. Nobody wants to see a non Harrison Ford Han Solo, especially this fat faced dude they picked to play him.

Should have gone with cgi or better yet not done this at all.

• 1Like

Royal

Could be a culture clash caused by a generation gap. That director for that shit ass Fantastic Four movie shit on his own movie and got fired by Lucasfilm before he even started to work on the unamed Star Wars Project. Now two other young directors are having issues. I think they do give them guidelines and expect certain things.

They are probably both in the wrong with Lucasfilm just grabbing a hot name and not actually figuring out what those directors want to actually do and the directors for thinking creative freedom means YOLO with a billion dollar IP.

I don't think you can chalk Trank's shitcanning by Lucasfilm up to problems created by a generational gap. By all accounts the guy showed his ass as flagrantly as he possibly could during production on F4. Simon Kinberg was a producer on that movie as well as an assortment of projects with Lucasfilm so Kathleen Kennedy got a first hand accounting of what was going down early enough to cut him loose with a minimal ruffling of feathers.

And don't think Lucasfilm didn't think they had an idea of what L&M wanted to do with the movie. That's what pitch meetings are for before a director even gets a gig and it's something that certainly gets clarified in pre-production before the real money starts getting spent. That's when studios and directors generally part ways over legitimate creative differences. Then and during the edit when clashes over what the final form of the movie will be can get serious. That's why this case is so unusual. Firing a director during principle photography on a tent pole film is a messy, expensive affair all the way around.