Soloable board/Card games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Braen

<Medals Crew>
I am moving away form most of my board game friends soon. I am looking for a good list of games that are great games but are also good solo.

Anyone got any suggestions?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
If you want a legacy based campaign that will last you a good while, pick up Gloomhaven. There's a reason this game has been on the top of so many board game review/ranking sites as it's just so remarkably good. Don't be overwhelmed by the box as they're is a lot of shit but it's all additional content. Also, pick up a good organizer for it. Daedalus or Broken Token are good ones but I'm sure there are others.

Scythe, Eldritch Horror, Massive Darkness, One Deck Dungeon, and Spirit Island are also worth checking out depending upon your tastes.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Arhkam Horror LCG and Too Many Bones to add to the above list

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I have always been a fan of Mage Knight, which has soloable scenarios. Very good game.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I like Gloomhaven with one, but the more the better. Aeons End, Xenoshyft and even Dead of Winter are pretty fun solo. The biggest issue for most bigger solo games is setup and tear down times. I keep Gloomhaven on the table for weeks at a time, playing one scenario a day and setting up the next one right away. So far the wife hasn't screamed.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I like Gloomhaven with one, but the more the better. Aeons End, Xenoshyft and even Dead of Winter are pretty fun solo. The biggest issue for most bigger solo games is setup and tear down times. I keep Gloomhaven on the table for weeks at a time, playing one scenario a day and setting up the next one right away. So far the wife hasn't screamed.

Game table with vault ftw. I've had our ongoing (~70 scenarios played) Gloomhaven campaign inside the vault for a year+ now. Anything else gets played on top!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
My favorite solo is too many bones followed by aeons end. Beyond that I really want to try mage knight but don’t want to spend $100 on something I may not like, idk yet. I’ve found it’s really hard to sell games off I don’t want anymore and want to get rid of some before I try many more.

I have a game called Unbroken coming from Kickstarter soon that was fully designed for solo (there is no multiplayer mode at all) but haven’t played it yet. Will report back once I do. I’ve watched a play through though and it looks like I will really enjoy it.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Well money will be tight for a while so its Tabletop Simulator will be the medium. So setup and tear down are nothing. Haha

Thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
My favorite solo is too many bones followed by aeons end. Beyond that I really want to try mage knight but don’t want to spend $100 on something I may not like, idk yet. I’ve found it’s really hard to sell games off I don’t want anymore and want to get rid of some before I try many more.

I have a game called Unbroken coming from Kickstarter soon that was fully designed for solo (there is no multiplayer mode at all) but haven’t played it yet. Will report back once I do. I’ve watched a play through though and it looks like I will really enjoy it.

Re: Mage Knight. If you own Table Top Simulator on steam the mage knight workshop download is incredibly good and will give you a good feel for the game before you shell out the money for the real thing.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
If anyone's looking to buy some of the suggestions, today is International Tabletop Day and there's a good chance your LGS is running some specials/raffles on games today. Late in the day, but maybe they're still open!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Got this in the mail yesterday, looks like it could be a pretty solid solo game. Deckbox Dungeons

FEAA8221-D2F6-48A7-ABA0-FAD623C8E8BB.jpeg

• 1Like

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Tried it yet? That looks like it could be a blast from the impression the cards are giving.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Tried it yet? That looks like it could be a blast from the impression the cards are giving.

No, hopefully get some time over the next couple days. Will report back when I do.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Tried Deck Box Dungeon, made it through several rooms and encounters before I had to stop so I didn’t get to the boss but first impression is positive.

It is paired with an app, as you go through the dungeon you hit a button that reveals the next tile/room. Once in the room it tells you what is spawning, or extra objectives. It’s my first experience playing a board game with an app so I wasn’t sure if I’d like it, turns out I do. It was great I couldn’t see what was coming, didn’t know the story, it’s a pretty simplistic game so i wasn’t blown away or anything, but I could see a lot of potential with it.

It says 1-4 players but you need a second copy to play with 3 or 4. I could not really see playing this with 3-4 people, it’s just not engaging enough. The fighting, character placement, etc isn’t difficult. Timing abilities right is about the only meaningful choice that I saw but I didn’t get all the way to the end so maybe there’s a little more challenge later. I’ll probably try it with my dad at some point, he likes playing quick little games like this.

Overall id say it’s definitely a great little solo game, I’ll definitely take it with me when I travel for work. The components, art, and mechanics are all solid and it all fits in a small deck box.

Good video for it if anyone is interested

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Re: Mage Knight. If you own Table Top Simulator on steam the mage knight workshop download is incredibly good and will give you a good feel for the game before you shell out the money for the real thing.

I YOLOed and ordered it for my dad for father’s day/birthday. Got the new definitive edition with all the expansions in it. Will go play it at his place that weekend. He’s been jonesing for a solo game but just blew a ton of money on necessary stuff.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Played Mage Knight all day with my dad today, a couple rounds into it when we had a good feel for the game he just took it all in and said “Holy crap, this is amazing.” After we finished he was trying to get all his housework done so he can play tomorrow.

The amount of customization, choices, things to do is impressive. Every turn feels like a puzzle trying to figure out the best method to get something accomplished. Amazing mechanics. We both really enjoyed it, can’t wait to do a solo game with it, I can see why it’s been the #1 rated solo game for so long.

Edit: Also, I was impressed with how much game you get for $100 on the collectors edition. The amount of variability and content is crazy.

Hatorade Hatorade you played Mage Knight yet? Not sure if you do solo games outside of TTS but I highly recommend it if you do.

We got in two games of Deck Box too. The first game we just picked quick random people, items, classes and proceeded to get our shit stomped on the third section of the dungeon. We did have a ton of bad rolls and crap loot which didn’t help. Second game we planned our characters better and got lucky on the path we picked and found the boss after 6 or 7 tiles. The game definitely needs an expansion with some more monsters, characters, and more complex items. Maybe a once per game hero ability would help make it a little deeper too. We still had fun it just feels a little too luck driven as it is. Turn after turn of shit rolls with no way to mitigate it and no real choices to make because you have to hit monsters to gain energy to use your abilities can make it annoying.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users