Someone hit my parked car...suggestions?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Just wait until you get shot by keying someone's car. That will be humorous.
smile.png

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So the guy who hit my parked car... is trying to sue me.. I live in Cali..... My insurance agent asked me how much money I want... hahahha

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
To be fair he settled out of court, so it's not necessarily an indictment on the English justice system. I wonder if he broke some law that would've been trouble for him, frankly making a theif walk around with a cardboard shame sign would be better publicity the more illegal it is.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I told my insurance guy I just want my car fixed right now, police report and the fact the god damn idiot ran off after he seen me heading for my car,(police gave him a ticket it's in the report. + the damage to my car, and the damage to his Shit box Mercedes..(Hint no one gives a shit))..

But if he does get a actual lawsuit thru any judge I'm just gonna laugh, call my family attorney, and tell him to promptly shove his fucking mercedes up his ass..

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If he files an actual lawsuit, your insurance company will handle it for you with their lawyers, you won't have to hire one yourself. That is part of your liability protection with an insurance policy, they provide a lawyer if one is needed.

Oldbased

> Than U
My mom and her siblings didn't take away my grampa's car until he was 98 or some shit (he turns 101 in January). He shouldn't have been driving for 10+ years prior to that. Thankfully he never killed anyone or was even in any serious accidents, but his white Lincoln Continental's bumpers and fenders were covered in green, yellow, and other colors from hitting dumpsters, bollards, and probably other people's cars. About 6-7 years ago he was at a strip mall, drove in to the side of one of the buildings, and left without reporting it or calling anyone. Apparently a security guard got his plate, and the cops showed up to his condo to question him. He claimed in his broken polish-english that the brakes on his car didn't work or some shit, so they impounded his vehicle with the intent of checking it out mechanically (he honestly thought they were taking it away to fix it for him). But then the property owner decided it wasn't going to pursue him for damages, and the cops handed the keys back to my mom cause they didn't want to deal with it either. After that he only drove to/from the grocery store, probably at a walking pace. Tough situation, because he and my grandma were still living independently in a condo, my mom and her sister couldn't cart him around everywhere, and he's too fucking cheap to pay for cabs. My dad, bro and I were giving her shit for a decade that he shouldn't be driving, and being assholes, would send her links to news stories of old fogies driving through farmer's markets and killing a dozen people to try to push her along.

So yeah, I agree, there should be mandatory testing every couple years past 60, and past 75 it should be annual. All my grampa had to do was get a note from his doctor saying he was physically fit to drive. Which is fucking pointless, because his doctor was probably as old and frail as he is. Of course he's just going to sign off on that shit. Meanwhile, he's deaf, half-blind, has no strength/dexterity and has the reflexes of a stoned sloth.
When I came back to KY in 2010 the first thing my family extended and close did was suggest I go to grandma and ask for her car.
The reasoning was I was between vehicles and they said she had no business being on the road. Which with a spine of cement, had already recently had 2 heart attacks, inability to turn her head or move her legs much at 84 she didn't need to drive.
So I went and sweet talked my granny who always loved me for her car. Which I sold 2 months later and bought the work van I use now.
The bad part was a month after she gave it to me she started complaining she wanted to drive which with her dementia turned into I stole it and most of my extended family backed her on it saying how horrible I was.
End result- I am out of her will ( which I never gave a fuck about wills anyways ) but extended family who instigated it will make another 3-5k each when she dies.

Talking to others with elderly parents/family this happens a lot.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I finally got the police report. The important things were there like:

- Her being charged with: Violation of the right lane safety.
- Witness name and telephone number. Witness stated before she was cut off by the driver she saw her on her phone (looking down at her hand)
- Both of our cars mentioned by make/year/model. The only 2 vehicles involved in the accident (hers hitting mine)
- State of my car legally parked in a private parking lot.

The damage to my car, both front and back were pretty accurate. So I'm pretty happy with it. I did have to pay $7 just to get access to it. Seven bucks is such an arbitrary number to get a police accident report wtf.

I was able to get ALL of her details from one of my neighbors. Luckily he fuckin wrote everything down and it made it so easy. I called her insurance and filed a claim and got a claim number. They (Progressive) set me up with an claim representative. This was around the 15th? I spoke with this guy once and all he said was,

"It looks like she is claiming someone hit her and forced her off the road. If this is true then Progressive will not pay out and it will be filed as an uninsured accident. We'll tow her car up to Lubbock and assess the damages and see if she is telling the truth. We cannot provide and rental car or compensation until this is done." He then proceeds to tell me to go get my car out of the impound and have it stored somewhere. I was like...wtf. Do I put this in my apartment parking lot?? Shit wont even sit up straight.

So she is claiming she was hit. Straight lying to her insurance. She never told the police she was hit and I started to wonder if maybe she had some previous damage on her car that was never reported that she could pass off for current damage. It didnt occur to me to check this.

Fast forward to the 28th. I had been calling this guy left and right. Leaving voicemails. Trying to get status updates. I got a notice from the impound saying the police were going to claim my car if I did not come get it out of the wrecking impound service. This guy was fuckin this up real bad. I was starting to get worried.

Yesterday they transferred my case to a new adjuster and she was amazing. Not only did she tell me they determined that she was at fault but they are getting my car out of the impound on Monday and estimating the damages/value of my vehicle for compensation. She gave me a rental that I will be picking up today from Enterprise.

For the moment I'm happy with the situation. A lot happier than thinking I was going to get fucked by this whole ordeal. We'll see what the check looks like after they value my vehicle.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
My car goes in Monday to get fixed, rental car all taken care of already. Still haven't heard anything on the lawsuit other then what my Insurance Agent told me when he first got the paperwork~

bazazu

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm guessing you took care of that car - it's a shame that you won't get nearly enough money to cover the value of a vehicle in good / excellent condition. I'd prepare for some serious reverse sticker shock. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say you'll end up with less than 10 grand for it. (assuming they total it, it looks pretty bad in the picture).

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Ya that's the one sad thing about Audi's after about 3-4 years the value on the car just plummets, like a heroin addict wanting more..

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Conclusion:

They paid out blue book for my car, which was $12,000. I'm happy with it. I have to turn the rental in Monday so over the weekend I've been trying to decide what to get. I thought about being an asshole and buying the Dodge Challenger Hellcat.