Someone should make a better alternative to EQ EMU

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!
Official EQ time locked servers would be awesome! But I was talking about privately run emulated ones. I think all of them get their data from the same place, and all accounts are made in the same place. "EQ Emulator - is an open-source Everquest emulation project". So whether its P99, Titan, PEQ, TAKP, or whatever else, they start with EQ Emulators game database and the account is made there too. Some of the servers take things into their own hands and start updating and modifying the database for their own server, and some servers have their own account creation. But mostly it is all done from EQ Emu, and the whole project is pretty half baked. People seem to take their database and make their own server, and then players give feedback of things that are wrong/missing etc, but it only gets fixed on that one server and doesn't go back to the main database. And the way accounts are made is really bad. They don't have the ability to request a password change so if you lose the password for an account, you lose all those characters. There is also bugs with the accounts, I have one account that is unverified because it is supposed to send you an SMS message but the message never showed up, so it now can't be verified by any means, and there is no support from anywhere, so basically that account is inaccessible. And each account has sub accounts on it so losing one main account like that could mean you lose 50+ characters.

It also seems like there is no easy package to create your own servers. I don't know how all the WoW emulators work but there are millions of them with so many different rulesets, I bet they have a single exe you can just click and it makes your own server.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Qwerty, this thread basically shows you are a fucking idiot who knows absolutely nothing.

Feel free to join EQEMU Discord chat if you want to embarrass yourself some more.

Discord

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users
Qwerty, this thread basically shows you are a fucking idiot who knows absolutely nothing.

Feel free to join EQEMU Discord chat if you want to embarrass yourself some more.

Discord
How am I wrong? And your link didn't work.

What is wrong with one of the progression servers?
Progression servers are no good because they will eventually be like modern EQ which sucks. PEQ is sort of ok because although they keep adding new expansions, it goes slow enough that you can enjoy EQ as it was. And also you can multibox with macroquest as many characters as you want.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm a noob at running servers, but I'm pretty amazed at how much work these guys have put into this stuff over the years and how relative easy it is to deal with. Sure, their login server concept could be better, and some things aren't perfect, but you can have an EQ server running on your desktop in an evening's worth of work! That's pretty fucking incredible imo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

tyen

<Banned>
K, I prepared my body.

Cuz EQ EMU is pretty half assed.

It's open source, do something, or try to be more convincing so other people do it for you.

Official EQ time locked servers would be awesome!

Combine server was the greatest and only progression server. It has already been proven time and time again that Sony/Daybreak is incapable of doing the most simple of tasks. I guess to their credit, their source code is laughably terrible. So can't really blame them for having to do rocket surgery for the past 16 years.

But I was talking about privately run emulated ones. I think all of them get their data from the same place, and all accounts are made in the same place.

"All" accounts are made in the same place because Everquest is so niche that it's easier for the community to all login to one spot to play any server. Granted it's run by Rogean (who does a lot), lol.

So whether its P99, Titan, PEQ, TAKP, or whatever else, they start with EQ Emulators game database and the account is made there too.

Eqemu manages the C++ serverside code.
PEQ does the standard Database.
Takp does the "PoP-ish" Database.
Rogean hosts the LoginServer and other things.

You don't "start" with a game database. You have to obtain it separately, unless you use an all-in-one one-click installer.
You only "start" with the default loginserver if you don't run it. When you download the eqemu source, it comes with the loginserver source. They compile together, in the same project.

Some of the servers take things into their own hands and start updating and modifying the database for their own server, and some servers have their own account creation.

Every single server that has ever existed on eqemu has modified their database for their own server. All of them do it. You have to do it.
My server(s) use(s) both Eqemu and private at the same time. Plenty of others do the same thing. Players just chose to use the login where they can connect and see all of them in one spot. Especially if the highest pop one is there.

But mostly it is all done from EQ Emu, and the whole project is pretty half baked.

It's all done from one community, yes, the everquest emulator community. The project is only as good as its contributors. You're just complaining to complain right here.

People seem to take their database and make their own server, and then players give feedback of things that are wrong/missing etc, but it only gets fixed on that one server and doesn't go back to the main database.

The main database, which I assume you mean PEQ, is one in which all the "new" expansions are playable.

So why would you think that one server's custom change is EVERYONE'S custom change? Every single server has custom things that all other servers also have different. It's not the same because everyone wants it different.

Spell damage, hp, dmg, etc, etc. Every server is different because they all have different goals.

The real problem is people that don't like to share their non-monetizable work because they are sitting high on their hill.

And the way accounts are made is really bad. They don't have the ability to request a password change so if you lose the password for an account, you lose all those characters. There is also bugs with the accounts, I have one account that is unverified because it is supposed to send you an SMS message but the message never showed up, so it now can't be verified by any means, and there is no support from anywhere, so basically that account is inaccessible. And each account has sub accounts on it so losing one main account like that could mean you lose 50+ characters.

Rogean is to Eqemu as Requiem is to Fohguild.

They both have no care.

It also seems like there is no easy package to create your own servers.

Windows & Linux

step_2.png

tyen

<Banned>
Crowdsourced EQ database & quests, like a wiki. A server's community grinds through the wiki submissions, a server mod approves them, it automatically updates the DB.

That's how I see server specific database/quest customization being easier moving forward.

By the time I get my unity shit setup real nice and people are poopsing around, that's what I'm going to build if it doesn't already get made.

I'll end up adding onto it, like having people be able to create their own servers on the same webpage. Also use other people's "server templates" or whatever.

• 1Like
It is pretty good if people can make a server in an afternoon. Although it is strange because there are so few servers, you would think there would be more if it was so easy. I can't believe EQ has such a small following now. But as SOE ruined the real EQ, I think the players did a pretty crappy job of running these EQ Emu's. If people want a legit, classic EQ, for single characters that can group with other people etc. there is only really one option, P99. And that server is a mess with the corrupt playerbase and owners. There are some custom content servers but they are mostly dead. Some ez mode servers which are dumb. Not many others.

So why would you think that one server's custom change is EVERYONE'S custom change? Every single server has custom things that all other servers also have different. It's not the same because everyone wants it different.

I don't mean custom content though, just real EQ. And all the servers I've seen have missing spawns and mobs in walls etc. and some messed up pathing. Even PEQ which is 10000 years old still has stuff like that. It's not a big deal but it could be better if people worked together more and everyone didn't splinter off into their own little cliquey server.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I can respond to some of this, since I develop for one of the servers.

1) Project 1999 and TAKP are both HEAVILY modified forks of EQEmu to the point that even merely copying NPC data over back to PEQ is difficult because of all the new fields. Just about everything was modified in some way. TAKP's client is so old we had to radically alter most of the netcode. (Cavedude, Haynar and Secrets did)

2) P99 and TAKP both have completely custom databases and do not use Project EQ. PEQ of course leaves much to be desired, which is why I started deving at TAKP. They are importing some of TAKP's data to improve it as well as using some of the tools I created to parse better values for later expansions. TAKP's NPC locations were imported from ShowEQ data dumps and not placed by hand.

3) TAKP does not use EQ Emu's login server or account handling.

4) Regarding the emus being 'half-assed'-- I would refer you to this link as an example to illustrate the work being put into TAKP's mechanics: EverQuest Melee Combat Routines Analyzed and Modeled - EQEmulator Forums

5) WoW has better emulators because WoW is a MUCH more popular game which means a much larger pool of potential developers. On top of that, they have fewer clients to accommodate; WoW's mechanics and formulae were less hidden from players; WoW database sites are more complete; there is much more youtube video of the game to examine; Blizzard codes better than Sony; etc.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

tyen

<Banned>
There are some custom content servers but they are mostly dead

I don't mean custom content though, just real EQ. And all the servers I've seen have missing spawns. It's not a big deal but it could be better if people worked together more and everyone didn't splinter off into their own little cliquey server.

Every server is a custom server. p99/r99 is custom as hell.

there is no "real eq." it doesnt exist dawg. "real eq" is something you make up in your head.

you dont "mean" custom content, but dont understand that everyone's server is custom.

loot being ingame? custom
drop rates? custom
spawns? custom

every single server is different because every single server is not the same on purpose.

-if i tweak drop rates or spawn rates, thats custom.
-if i add or remove quests, thats custom.

there is no real eq, only custom eq.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Another thing I would like to point out: it's not a simple matter to just 'fix' things in the main EQ Emu branch because so many custom servers derive from it. A lot of mechanics were simply implemented incorrectly and the server databases were developed with these inaccuracies in mind. On top of that, mechanics changed over the course of EQ's life, and the main branch has to decide which era to support or otherwise ignore older mechanics.

PEQ has similar issues because many zones were revamped. Projects have to fork off and focus on their eras because of this.

I have however shared the majority of my research on the EQ Emu board and some of it was implemented into the main branch. The PEQ guys have my NPC stats spreadsheet. Work is being shared, but not all of it is adopted. (actually several TAKP devs are PEQ devs)

• 1Like

TAKP is an exception to all this though isn't it? It is the only server with a big team of people working regularly, and it is the one little group of people who can actually get shit done, the same people who work on P99 and various other places. Without that one small team, most of the servers on the EQ Emu list wouldn't exist. Also TAKP is different because it is locked at a very specific time, and is also trying to make the game work with an ancient client, so everything has to change to work with that. All the other servers don't have that issue.

there is no "real eq." it doesnt exist dawg. "real eq" is something you make up in your head.
No, real eq is what everyone played on SOE's servers. TAKP, P99, PEQ, Titan, etc, are all real EQ or close enough. Not real EQ is stuff The Hidden Forest with custom content.

you dont "mean" custom content, but dont understand that everyone's server is custom.

loot being ingame? custom
drop rates? custom
spawns? custom
Why should PEQ mob locations be any different to P99? The only things that should change between 'legit' servers like that, is stuff that changed from later eras of EQ like when they revamped an old zone or added some quest NPC's or something. But mob locations in Crushbone should be the same on P99 as they are in PEQ, and TAKP for that matter, and many others. But this is not the case.

Work is being shared, but not all of it is adopted. (actually several TAKP devs are PEQ devs)

All I'm saying is it isn't enough. Also how come TAKP has its own swanky account creation tools but P99 or whatever has to use the crappy old EQ Emu thing which is total junk? Also the whole thing between you guys and p2002 was idiotic.

MazeEq

Lord Nagafen Raider
I mean, HackersQuest is still available somewhere on the internet.

You're welcome to go use that.

tyen

<Banned>
TAKP is an exception to all this though isn't it? It is the only server with a big team of people working regularly, and it is the one little group of people who can actually get shit done, the same people who work on P99 and various other places. Without that one small team, most of the servers on the EQ Emu list wouldn't exist.

iWKad22.jpg

Also TAKP is different because it is locked at a very specific time

All Eqemu servers are locked at a specific time(expansion).

No, real eq is what everyone played on SOE's servers. TAKP, P99, PEQ, Titan, etc, are all real EQ or close enough. Not real EQ is stuff The Hidden Forest with custom content.

takp/p99/peq/titan/etc are all custom and completely different than eachother. Hidden forest just has more customizations than the others. None of these are "real" eq. There is no "real" eq.

All their databases and quests are different. In comparing the Databases & quests together, you will find an immense amount of differences. 10s of thousands of differences.

Why should PEQ mob locations be any different to P99?

PEQ is all expansions, p99 is not. We already explained this to you twice.

The only things that should change between 'legit' servers like that, is stuff that changed from later eras of EQ like when they revamped an old zone or added some quest NPC's or something.

You don't have enough knowledge/experience in working with eqemu databases/quests to make a generalization like this. It's real difficult to read something like this from someone who hasn't even touched the stuff.

All I'm saying is it isn't enough. Also how come TAKP has its own swanky account creation tools but P99 or whatever has to use the crappy old EQ Emu thing which is total junk? Also the whole thing between you guys and p2002 was idiotic.

p99 is run by rogaine, eqemu loginserver is run by rogaine. That's why rogaine uses the eqemu loginserver only, instead of running private loginservers primarily or in tandem.

Also Rogaine doesn't give a fuck, which I pointed out to you already.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i've played on plenty of emus that use their own loginservers. doesn't seem like its that much extra work to set up on top of everything else. main reasons to keep the eqemu login server are, i think, laziness and the free listing on their server list.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
All I'm saying is it isn't enough

Your thread is akin to whining that the pyramid at Giza isn't being built fast enough when 100 people are working on it. Pitch in or be quiet. Nobody gets paid for this.

I saw the state of PEQ after AK went down and started helping out. It doesn't take technical ability to do database work, only an eye for detail. You don't need permission from anybody to start leveling characters on Live and start filling out a spreadsheet.