Songs of Conquest

Binks

Golden Knight of the Realm
Search says this doesn't exist, but we'll see:

https://www.songsofconquest.com/

I've been playing a lot of turn-based strategy games lately and jonesing for a new HoMM (6 and 7 were kinda pretty bad) and a friend turned me on to this one that may be in a similar vein.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I really liked those types of games when I was younger, my dad and I would switch driver seat and play them all day in the winter. He was hooked as fuck on them, I remember him doing 20 hour days on them or taking a day off work to play.

I’ve found they aren’t a very good genre to play when you only have short bursts of free time so haven’t played one in years. I do miss those days though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Binks

Golden Knight of the Realm
For me, I'm cooking, cleaning, tending to other chores, and watching some anime. The slow pace and the easy ability to step away works out well; although, I'm working my way through HoMM VII. I've essentially won the map, but it'll be 20-50 more turns until completion of the scenario.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
This recently went into EA (I know! But it is "mostly done" and just getting added content and polish, supposedly). No sales or anything that I've seen, but I liked it enough to pick it up at full price. Really enjoying it currently, and it has a map editor that allows for community created content, so I'm hopeful that this one will have a lot of longevity.

If you even remotely enjoyed King's Bounty, HoMM, etc. then I recommend you give this one a try.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>
This recently went into EA (I know! But it is "mostly done" and just getting added content and polish, supposedly). No sales or anything that I've seen, but I liked it enough to pick it up at full price. Really enjoying it currently, and it has a map editor that allows for community created content, so I'm hopeful that this one will have a lot of longevity.

If you even remotely enjoyed King's Bounty, HoMM, etc. then I recommend you give this one a try.

Why the pixel graphics :(

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Well they're not getting mine, I'm tired of the pixel shit. It was cute for awhile but it's tired.
Honestly I’m just assuming pixel art is significantly cheaper than 3D modeling. Coffee Stain isn’t a big publisher but they’ve got some indie hits under their belt - Valheim, Satisfactory, and Deep Rock Galactic to name a few.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Pixel graphics don’t bother me if they’re well done. There are some that look like shit on a big screen though.

749E8954-5F0B-447E-9C02-1BCD1DA4F910.jpeg

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Honestly I’m just assuming pixel art is significantly cheaper than 3D modeling. Coffee Stain isn’t a big publisher but they’ve got some indie hits under their belt - Valheim, Satisfactory, and Deep Rock Galactic to name a few.

IMO the advantage with pixel art is that it's easier to achieve a more stylized or iconic look that never has to worry about falling into the uncanny valley. I don't think it's necessarily cheaper in the long run because it can take a really long time to design each individual environment asset (for an example) rather than being able to make a bunch of shapes and throw your rock texture on them to have your rocks.

Anyways, this game is on my wishlist and I'll probably scoop it up once it leaves EA.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

yeah, its made the rounds among the youtubers I watch for indie games. it's been very well received.

velk

Trakanon Raider

Pixel art is the art style, which is intended to invoke nostalgia, not the underlying tech - they are more than free to use 2D sprites that are not pixel art. It's almost certainly more work to take artist drawings and then convert them to pixelated form than to just use higher res designs to start with. It could be considered a way to 'cover up' shit art designs, but I suspect it will usually make shit art even shittier - a looooot of work used to go into converting regular art into low-pixel designs in a way that still made it look good.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider

What do you find the difficulty like ?

I half-watched some videos on this while working - even terrible gamers seemed to be completely ROFLstomping the AI.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
What do you find the difficulty like ?

I half-watched some videos on this while working - even terrible gamers seemed to be completely ROFLstomping the AI.
I've only played 3 of the missions at this point, and on Normal difficulty. I have been steamrolling for the most part, but some of that is being able to roam all over the map and pick up stuff (including xp) while avoiding most of the fights. Except for an occasional enemy commander, I haven't seen anything moving around, so overleveling is pretty easy. That might change further into the game, or it might not. Being able to see an approximate threat level, and being able to withdraw from any combat you initiate (not ones they initiate) makes for pretty safe gameplay, obviously.

There are some spots with items and rewards that are clearly locked/guarded by enemies, so you can't get them until you defeat the army. Maybe later maps will incorporate more of that and less of the free range approach. Or not, no idea.

I haven't tried bumping up the difficulty, which you can do on the fly, to see how hard that is, as I still feel like just fucking around and messing with mechanics, etc. I'm also hopeful that the later campaigns get harder, and there is a skirmish mode that lets you change the AI opponents etc. that I haven't touched yet. And of course custom content from players.

But as it currently stands after only 3 missions on Normal, yes, it is laughably easy.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I got around to giving this one a go - it's not bad, but the AI is too braindead for skirmish, and the campaign provides challenge of the 'surprise ! a fully levelled hero and army just materialised out of nowhere in your backlines !', or 'your opponent starts with 3 fully levelled cities - enjoy !' variety. The extensive railroading irked me a lot.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I got around to giving this one a go - it's not bad, but the AI is too braindead for skirmish, and the campaign provides challenge of the 'surprise ! a fully levelled hero and army just materialised out of nowhere in your backlines !', or 'your opponent starts with 3 fully levelled cities - enjoy !' variety. The extensive railroading irked me a lot.

I stopped playing specifically because of the enemies appearing behind my front lines after I had moved far past them. I was pissed but kept going after the first time it happened, but then they pulled it multiple times in a single campaign map and I fucked off. It is a stupid fucking mechanic and I refuse to play through that bullshit.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Plan is 1.0 release by the end of the September. They just got done with the Barony of Loth (undead) campaign and released it. This looks good, but I try not to play EA.

b7930ba87c8ea54ff8c2e13db905b95a8285ffe8.jpg

• 1Like