Space Heater

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Never owned one before, any recommendations? Also, any idea what kind of kWh's a typical one might suck down? Only looking to heat a decent sized room for a couple hours, nothing long term.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I've used both kinds extensively (the small and large in Grimmlokk's link, although not those specific brands/models) and I definitely prefer the small, portable ones. It's nice to be able to pick it up and move it around as you move from room to room, or if you're in a large room, move it from next to the couch where you're sitting to the computer desk on the opposite wall. I'd never use one of the big radiator-looking ones again unless I knew I only wanted to heat that single room. The small ones obviously won't generate as much heat as the big ones, but I think that is counter-balanced by the fact that you can just plop it down right next to where you're sitting.

Jovec

?
Also, any idea what kind of kWh's a typical one might suck down?
They are all going to pull around 1,200w - 1,500w on a "high" setting, regardless of the size of the unit. This also means you are limited to what else you can run on a typical 15A circuit (1,800w max, 1,500w recommended).

lurker

Vyemm Raider
^ Correct. Whether you spend $600 or $30, if it plugs into a wall outlet, it's going to be 1500 watts max and put out around 5200 BTU. You will spend more for features and aesthetics.

I have one in my master that is about 4" thick, hangs on the wall and sorta looks like a log fire. It uses no floor space and adds a nice ambience to the room. $150. I have a large cabinet in my den that has an electric fireplace in it. It holds a large flat screen and all the home theater crap. $600. They both are 1300 watt heaters.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the suggestions, probably get that cheap Lasko one. Don't have to worry about tipping over from pets/children because there won't be any of them in the room.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
When I read the title I read it as SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE HEEEEEEEEEEEATER!

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
The only caveat to owning a cool small one like this in the review
Amazon.com - Lasko 754200 Ceramic Heater with Adjustable Thermostat - Space Heaters

is to watch out if you have small children or animals, i have one just like it and it's awesome, BUT be careful around it with children/pets or even your clumsy self, you can easily knock it over and depending on where the heat is pointed to cause some issues, accidents.
I got a pretty cheap one and it has some shit built in where if its tipped or knocked over it stops, is this not standard?